Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
WARM REFRIGERATOR

We just returned from a wonderful 10 day trip in Westfir, OR. While there the temperature was hot and the temperature inside the refrigerator was hard to maintain at a reasonable level. We adjusted the thermistor to the coldest setting and tried to keep the outside compartment in the shade as much as practical but still the inside box temp went as high as 50. Now that we are back home in Oak Harbor, WA, the refer is operating normally and maintains the box temperature 33-35 most of the time. I have read before about installing a fan to circulate air in the outside refrigerator compartment. Has anyone done this or know of a link that discusses it? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
A fan would probably help. Units with the fridge in a slide-out usually have a thermostaticly controlled fan from the factory. (because the upper vent is in the side rather than the roof). It looks like a about a 4 inch computer cooling fan.

You can also fiddle with the position of the sensor on the cooling fins inside the fridge. Sliding the sensor up the fins will make the fridge run cooler (I think that is right - anyone thinks differently please say so). You could also call Domtic and ask them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just looked at our brand new 3400..there is NO fan in the outside fridge compartment and it is kind of warm in there.We did install one in our previous TT and never had a fridge problem.. another self enhancement that need to be done////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I am installing ours this evening when it cools down a bit. The fridge does a good job even in this 99 degree heat but not as good as I'd like.

Yesterday I bought an ordinary computer case fan, from Best Buy. About ten bucks. I also bought a 12 volt switch. Tonight I will install them in the outside refrigerator compartment. Everything I've read highly recommends doing this if you will be parked in significant heat. In our case, the fridge is on the south side, getting direct sun all day.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
I installed a tiny microprocessor fan inside the refrigerator by hanging it just below the cooling fins on the thermistor side. I got the power for it from the refrigerator light wiring.

We have been at 103 degrees and the refrigerator stays right around 40 or a little less. Prior to adding the fan, it would run in the upper 40's on 90+ degree days. I just used little plug-in connectors to try it out, and have not gotten around to adding a little switch.

I also added a muffin fan under the outside tubing, but found it had no noticeable effect, so I haven't been using it. Besides that, it was of the 110V variety so was of no use on the road.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:30 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is a good one...Look in the fridge..you will see the drain gutter in the rear under the coils and the little drain nozzle that goes ......where???? where does the water drain to????
Old 07-02-2006, 03:37 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Here is a good one...Look in the fridge..you will see the drain gutter in the rear under the coils and the little drain nozzle that goes ......where???? where does the water drain to????

Rich, Out the little hose that sticks out of the outside refer compartment door.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Be sure the little hose is hanging between the slats on the outside. It comes from the factory tucked in. We didn't know this on our other unit.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I am glad I asked the question.We looked all over the place for a drain hose yesterday, figured it would exit the bottom of the camper but no..it just goes into the fridge compartment and does not come out..We can correct that.. Thanks....Had a small PC fan in my bits and Pieces box..will install it in the fridge compartment as soon as it stops raining and blowing, and thundering and lightening...We are pulling out and heading North soon.All Montana systems are go...
Old 07-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our fridge is in a slide. I think there is supposed to be a fan back there but I sure don't see one. This morning I mounted an 80mm computer case fan, from Best Buy, and a switch to turn it on and off. The only caution I can think of is to mount the fan off the floor of the compartment so it can draw air from underneath or it won't move much air. I used rubber washers/spacers to raise it about three quarters of an inch. Our fridge always did fairly well in high heat although I could tell the milk was not as cold as I would like. Our fridge is generally very full so that affects it also. It is currently 99 degrees outside and the fridge side is getting full, direct sun. I'll see how much the fan helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We have the 3280, with the frig in the slide. Our frig came with the fan mounted already, fully automaic. It is located about half way down the compartmnet, and two days ago was the first time I had eve heard it come on (90+ deg). came on for about ten minutes and shut off. Seems to work just fine.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich
Since the frig on the 3400 is in a slide are you sure there is not already a fan there. I've always thought that was maybe why we never have to defrost our frig just the freezer.
Happy trails.........................
Old 07-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was just wondering this myself, Sue...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If there is a fan in there it is very well concealed..If anybody knows if there is a fan in there where is it?????
Old 07-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I saw a fridge being replaced at the factory, and the fan on it was about at the middle height of the fridge, on a bracket behind the fridge.

I haven't peeked at ours to see if we have one, (since it's working just fine at 98 degrees,) and can't tell you for sure that you should be able to see it through the access panel on the outside behind the fridge.

But that's where it'd be if you have one.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:08 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
It was my understanding that all frigs in the slideouts had fans. Is this because they can't vent out the top?
Happy trails............................
Old 07-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had heard that but I can not see a fan..My guess is that it is there.Marked that down on my ..must see list for the fall rally factory tour.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #18
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
OK understand about the computer fan, but where do you install it. How do you install it, blowing into the coil, or frig or as an exhaust toward outside. i understand I can hook into the 12-volt power supply back there but where to install is my dilemma.
Does it really help? My fridge seems to be working pretty well all but the freezer this weekend. it was really hot would freeze ice but not ice cream. If the fans really help I will install one.
I also wonder since we are talking about fans if one under where the converter and electrical panel one would help as well?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #19
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
The fan is suppose to be just below the top coil in the back of the ref. Two wires come out of the terminal block on the bottom and go up to the fan and the 12 volts comes from the terminal strip.
There is a thermistor on top of the top cooling coil that turns the fan on and off as needed.
You should be able to see the fan and thermistor if you open the top cover on the units that have the two refrig. openings.
The fan is mounted on a bracket just below and blows up to cool the top coil.
There is a fuse holder near the terminal strip with a very low amp fuse for the fan.
Hope this helps in locating it.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have one in our 2004 unit, we can hear it turn on when the frig is sitting in a hot direct sun situation. Kicks on, kicks off, makes enough noise we know it is there, specially if we are out side.

Wayne and Arlene, you need to get that last state filled in, We don't bite, the black flies might in mid July in the UP, but the rest of us don't! Come on up, fall is particularly pretty!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote