Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Bad tires/worn tire/springs

Had the left rear tire start to wear badly on the inside. Figured that we probably had a tweeked axle that would need to be straightened. The RV repair place wanted to just replace the axle and hope that Dexter would give us a new one. Didn't seem right to me plus after two follow up calls, they did nothing. Found someone who does this type of repair (Hammerlane at exit 77 on I-85 in AL). The guy did an inspection and said that all the tires were starting to seperate and two were worn badly and that they all should be replaced (if you have Tacoma tires, inspect them carefully, probably between 16-18K on the tires). He hoped that it would cure the problem, but bring it back after the new tires were installed. Sent me to a tire place around the corner, Kerry Knox Tire, where the put on four new tires and balanced them for $350.

When we took it back for measurements, they discover the problem was a spring which had flatten out. Suggested that when we had the spring replaced to get them all replaced with heavier duty springs. Did that with our old rig and it seem to handle better and we had no more broken springs. We weigh the 5W often, so know that we weren't overloaded or had too much weight on that wheel. Check your tires and springs.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
This situation does not appear to be uncommon. My last rig had the same problem of not enough suspension. I replace the four leaf springs with five leaf springs and stopped the inconsistent wear on the tires. The rig was not over loaded, they just did not put enough support under the axles, after all it saved the company a few dollars. I will be watching the Montana to make sure something like this does not pop up.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
mobilervn,
Make sure they check the shackles while they are in there working on the other stuff. And if they are bad then replace them with the heavy duty ones.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Would the new Mor/Ryde suspension now being put on Montanas eliminate this problem?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dave,
If you are referring to the shackles the Morryde RE system still uses shackles so it would depend on which shackles are being used.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Hadn't really given the Mor/Ryde system a thought, but it shouldn't be much more than what the beefed up springs, etc. would cost and would give the 5W a smooother ride--Thanks for the tip!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I believe the Mor/Ryde RE suspension on the newer rigs simply replaces the equalizer with a rubber block and still utilizes shackles and springs. The Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension replaces the shackles and springs and is the hot setup, but VERY expensive in this neck of the woods.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, are you saying that this new Mor/Ryde suspension that Montana is touting is, in fact, a smoke screen?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
I don't believe it's a smoke screen. I think they're trying to use a better suspension on the rigs that's why they went to the cheaper version of the Mor-Ryde suspension. The Mor-Ryde Individual Suspension that Don mentioned and that we have on our rig is quite a bit more expensive. Ours cost us nearly $1900 3 years ago. But the money was well spent.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So there really is a big improvement in the "RE" suspension relative to the "before" standard Montana suspension, Orv? But just not nearly as big as with the independent suspension system that Mor/Ryde also has?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:41 AM   #11
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Dave, I didn't claim it to be a smoke screen, only that I didn't notice that the RE was that much different than the previous setup. However, I haven't pulled a unit with this new suspension for comparison. Perhaps someone who has can give us an idea if they think there is an advantage and what it is?

I have been looking at the Mor/Ryde IS as a possible upgrade to my old 1999 Montana and was quoted $1800 at the factory, but I don't plan to be in that part of the country any time soon. When I learned they would ship the parts out to a shop in Oregon less than 150 miles from from me for the retrofit I became more interested. Another member recently had the Oregon shop install the IS system on their rig, but it was considerably more expensive and I can't justify over $3000 in this one upgrade for our seven year old unit, considering the small amount of use it gets.

I suggest you check http://morryde.com/ for more detailed information.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MOR/ryde Rubber Equalizer System

From the Mor-Ryde site..

The MOR/ryde RE system works with the existing springs and axles but replaces the steel spring equalizer. The RE system uses rubber shear springs to isolate and absorb road shock and increase the dynamic travel of the leaf spring suspension. The result is a 30% improvement in damping of road shock. This means smoother towing and better protection of the trailer from damaging road shock..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Don! I'll do that. I just had this "flash" thought that maybe Montana was promoting something that might not be exactly what some buyers would think they were getting for a suspension system...
Old 06-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
But this is not near as good as the Independent Suspension (IS), Rich? (BTW, I sent a PM)
Old 06-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The "IS" is a much better and more expensive system..The Re system and the mor-ryde pin box does make for a smooth ride as we drove through some nasty road construction and we were impressed at the ride..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll probably look into a new pin box sooner or later, just felt that I was up as high as I wanted to finance goodies on my 3400 payment book. I'll start saving...