Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #21
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Kegger,

I was hoping that if you took your toilet apart, so you’d have seen if there was a stiffer Teflon gasket.

Do you have the Sealand Model 210? Ours has the ceramic bowl, and the rounded white plastic flush ball at the bottom, that flips forward when you step on the pedal. All around that flush ball, I can see the black rubber gasket that the ball seems to seal against. I thought that was the one that we are supposed to clean with the stick thingy to keep water from leaking out.

I ordered a Gasket Set, (P/N 385316140,) from my dealer, (per the manual’s parts list,) and received said kit shortly after. In the kit are two gaskets of pretty much the same size. One’s black rubber, and the other’s Teflon. I was guessing the Teflon one is an upgrade, or maybe for a new & improved toilet.

Aw, heck…Curiosity’s gotten to me so I broke the seal on the package to read the sheet that’s been sliding around in it. (Hoping I don’t lose or bend either of these while holding them until they’re eventually needed.)

AHA! Instructions say to use both gaskets! The thicker black rubber seal presses down upon the thinner Teflon seal, so that it presses harder against the flush ball. I see the center hole on the Teflon seal is ½” smaller than the rubber gasket, and chamfered to fit flush against the curved flush ball.

Apparently the nomenclature for the rubber gasket is “Rubber Bowl Seal,” while the Teflon gasket’s a “Flush Ball Seal.”

Now it all makes sense.

Sorry for injecting any confusion, here.

(I also ordered and received the spring assembly that's been upgraded. Came with the flush ball. Just in case.)

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Can someone post the magic Sealand phone number so we too can talk to the lovely and talented Shirley? I am tired of the intermittent leak problem and would like to solve it permanently. The search of the archives uncovered the other thread on this topic, but it didn't contain a number either

Carl & Susan Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:53 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
1-800-321-9886 Have the model number and date of Purchase ready and be sure to tell them it IS broke..You may not get to speak to Shirley but someone will take care of you..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:05 AM   #24
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Speaking of this thread's title, (about "Holding Water,") how are you doing up there right now?

Does the Monty need to learn to FLOAT?

I hope you aren't suffering from any water problems.

Steve
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 AM   #25
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Steve We got about 10 Inches of rain, the pool is overflowing into the yard the sump pump running pretty steady but the Montana is high and dry, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are high and dry here on an ancient ridge of Lake Erie but flood warning are out all around us.The 3400 is getting a good workout on leaks.. high winds..driving rain..no leaks.More to come this afternoon and evening.The camper is in the driveway with full hook ups just as it would be at a C.G and we are spending as much time in it as we can..sleeping in it most every night because the Bear bed is better than our home mattress. We are testing and using all systems as if we were on the road..everything is working fine..but that &*%$#)) sofa bed is like sitting on a rock.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #27
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Roman!

Let's hope the water stays out!

Any word from the Superchip dealer, yet?

Steve
Old 06-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #28
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich and Roman,

I bet you're both getting a bigger drenching than that "storm simulator" thingy that they use to check seals at the factory.

Enjoy it all, as long as the water stays away from where it isn't supposed to be.

Steve
Old 06-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #29
Heli 190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4448
We just had the same problem. We recieved a seal cleaning kit with the toilet and that took care of the problem.
Heli 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #30
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Heli,

I had to use it twice before getting mine cleaned to where it'd hold water. I think, because it's a yucky job, I didn't put all my effort into it the first time. Plus, unless you reposition that cleaning stick a bit as you go around, all it does is clean a couple of small grooves in the caked-on calcium, etc. I made sure the second time to run it around twice, move it in a little, and then go around a couple more times, and so on.

I think that, along with now using CLR bathroom cleaner, that stuff doesn't stick on the seal after I'm done.

Because I do use so much force on it is why I ordered a back-up set of seals and that ball thing. Just in case I score the seal, and maybe scratch the ball near the seal.

Can't hurt to be prepared!

Steve
Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #31
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Just for info only:

Posted - May 05 2006 : 11:40:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderator , move this to where it will reach and do the most good at your discretion

I gave a report on my new 3500rl last week and mentioned the problem with the toilet not holding water. I replaced the seal in mine and it corrected the problem for a few days. Someone suggested vaseline on there and corrected the problem.

Now, I just talked to Keystone and customer service , WHO WAS VERY NICE , and they told me to call the maker of the toilet. I did and they have a free fix for this as they have had lots of trouble with this particular toilet, model no 210 and 110 , Sealand model. They are sending me a package that contains a new seal and a spring loaded mechanism to replace the old one. They have had problems with this and are correcting it if you call them. Get your booklet out and call them. They were extremely helpful and nice.
So if you have this toilet , check into this.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote