Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2006, 02:26 AM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
That is a good plan Rich, that is exactly what Al and I did, we spent 8 hours climbing in, around, under, on top of, in closets, etc on our rig during our PDI. We left with our check in our pockets and they finally were able to deliver it a week later.

However, our really serious problems did not surface until we had 6000 miles on the rig! Sadly the PDI ain't gonna find the TV that is gonna break loose after 200 miles. Or the slide that had something wrong with it that did not show up for 5000 miles or the little axle problem we had that did not show till 6000 miles.

This is, as we all know where the dealer should deliver you from your angst. Just don't buy it where we did.

This is, as most of you that know us, know, where Keystone stepped up to the bat and hit a MAJOR home run! Like with bases loaded! They worked with us, till we were happy. And, they did it with a sense of humor and humanity. (Neither of which our dealer had.)

Do a great PDI, spend time, but don't think that all problems are gonna show at the gitgo.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
last time we went to service center the wait for an appointment was almost 3 months. not sure what it is now. that might put a damper in your plan???? try your plan and report back how it works.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
our dealer made us bring certified funds and cash. No holds on checks permitted. each dealer, I suppose can do his own thing??? We were under the impression from when we needed Keystone service that it was the last resort, you had to work through the dealer first, and if that failed, then they would consider your situation. Again, that was for us, maybe the rules are different now.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It really makes me realize how lucky I am, after reading all of these concerns about getting service work from dealerhsips I am so glad I do business with my dealer. These folks have bent over backwards for me and have come through every time. I did find a few minor things wrong with my coach at time of the PDI, it was taken care of before I left that day. They also added the vent covers and a few other accessories during the PDI, did not make me come back and schedule another appointment. =) Once the PDI was done I handed over my check for the coach and down the road I went. I have had a few other minor things happen that requires dealer attention but, nothing that would make me reconsider not buying another Montana.
As Don stated, "I think because RVs contain appliances, heating systems, cooling systems, and have electrical, mechanical, and plumbing as well as furniture and all the structural problems of a house that is moved down the highway, of course you will have a few issues and the super expensive RVs are not immune to this either." pretty well sums it up.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #25
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well I was about an hour away from the border to the North West Territories when a hose clamp failed and started spewing coolant under the hood of my new truck.. I carry good quality spares and I put one on in about 5 minutes. This is the only problem I ever had with this truck and the moral of this story is you are not always going to be near a Ford dealer with your Ford and you are not always going to be near a Keystone dealer with your Montana and trust me, things go wrong with every type of RV on the road. I guess I am fortunate to be a certified industrial mechanic and I always carry tools with me but I truly believe a person who plans to take his rig back to the dealer for every little issue is going to be spending a lot of time at the dealer. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:I truly believe a person who plans to take his rig back to the dealer for every little issue is going to be spending a lot of time at the dealer.
They also call that "nitpicking". No matter how good a dealer or manufacturer you have they will soon tire of this "nitpicking" and you will stand a cold chance in H__L of ever getting any type of service.
I'm sorry Rich but if you think for one minute you're going to get a perfect flawless, defect free rig, be it a Montana, a Hitch Hiker or even a Prevost, you have another thought coming. I truely believe you are in for a very rude awakening. You might be better off to start rethinking any future purchases on any manufactured product. That includes most every item in your home, your TV and yes even your Montana.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not expect a perfect unit or one that will never have a problem//For the first 7 months or so we will be operating out of our home base.and if the slide leaks or the seal rolls up or the windows leak or the shower leaks or the toilet leaks, if a speaker does not work or the audio system quits, or the black tank/Grey springs a leak, or the TV become loose or falls on the floor.I have observed on this forum what CAN and DOES go wrong in the first few months of ownership that is the primary reason we did not order till we could use the unit. Call it nit picking if you must but we will NOT correct those things , Keystone /Montana will.At the end of the 1 year warranty period we expect to have the unit Montana said we would receive in the first place. We are researching extended warranties for failures that may occur over the next 5 to 7 years.We are accustomed to planning for the worst case scenario.Part of that planning, using this forum, was to note Every problem
that might occur in the first few months of ownership.Analyze what you would do in the worst case scenario and you are prepared for whatever may occur.Of course the desired outcome of this plan that you never have to implement the plan.We have been broken down along the road before and will no doubt be broken down again..but we will have done everything we could have to prevent it and will be prepared when it happens.I am sure that each and every one of you has done the same thing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Good plans Rich, just be aware, that the TV does not always fall out in such a way, time or place that will allow you to take it back to the dealer. When ours partially busted out, we could not get it to the dealer, without just taking it all the way out, laying on the floor and taking to the dealer at that point. Could not drive with it. Since we had it out, cripes, it was much easier to deal with it, put it back in and not have to fuss with the dealer/stealer.

Our favorite saying when it comes to RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash." (That saying is mine by the way, so is copyrighted.)

Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Everyone will make improvements like tie wraping up wires adding more support to plumbing, etc.. I am however not handy at all when it comes to anything more than a very minor repair. I have never ..done a brake job, changed a exhaust system, worked on a motor, tore any part of a car apart.I know some guys like to do all those things ..not this one.Now Helen can do most of those things and has..Me..I pick up the phone a call someone. We had a flat on the Ohio tpk on our Honda and while I was finding the number for the auto club Helen was changing the Tire..Good Girl..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #30
flyerone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5263
Just an update, I took the Mountaineer back to the dealer, the same tech. worked on the leak for about 2 hours. He actually used silicon along the bottom of the splash panels, something the sales person told us not to do, because of mold concerns! Tried it after a day to let the silicon dry, guess what, It still leaks! Only about 10 drops when taking a shower, but what will that do after years of leaking? I would try to fix it myself but it is a totally enclosed bathroom and there is only about 6 inches of clearance around the access panel and I cant see inside because of a cabinet. The only way I can think of getting to the problem is to cut a bigger hole in the plywood under the tub, so I can see what the problem is. I just didn't know if it was a good idea to cut holes in a 5th wheel that is 3 weeks old. I emailed the district sales manager but haven't received a response.
flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #31
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We have the 05 328RLS Mountaineer and have had only a couple of minor problems. Our dealer was very good and probably took care of our problems before we knew we had them.
But I would not give up my trailer for nothing. Well mabe to buy another one with enough left over to make a trip cross country.
Any takers?
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by flyerone

Just an update, I took the Mountaineer back to the dealer, the same tech. worked on the leak for about 2 hours. He actually used silicon along the bottom of the splash panels, something the sales person told us not to do, because of mold concerns! Tried it after a day to let the silicon dry, guess what, It still leaks! Only about 10 drops when taking a shower, but what will that do after years of leaking? I would try to fix it myself but it is a totally enclosed bathroom and there is only about 6 inches of clearance around the access panel and I cant see inside because of a cabinet. The only way I can think of getting to the problem is to cut a bigger hole in the plywood under the tub, so I can see what the problem is. I just didn't know if it was a good idea to cut holes in a 5th wheel that is 3 weeks old. I emailed the district sales manager but haven't received a response.
Flyerone, you might consider removing that bead of silicone. Those splash panels are uncaulked for a reason. I assume you are referring to the shower walls. The heat in the shower causes moisture between the shower wall and the Montana's walls. That moisture needs to vent. If you caulk those shower walls that moisture has no easy place to go. It will work it's way towards the outside and cause bubbles on the outside fibreglass. I know this because it happened to us on our first Montana. When I later asked Keystone, the above explanation is what they told me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote