Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
propane water heater will not light

The water heater was empty and somehow the gas switch got turned on - would this burn up the element in the water heater? The electric switch was in the off position.

Thanks for the info.

Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It shouldn't affect the electric element in the water heater. I'm curious as to how the gas switch got turned on. You have to physically turn it on and the propane has to be turned on in order for the water heater burner to light.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
The propane part of the heater and the electrical heating element are completely seperate functions. My understanding is that the "heater element" is the electrical element, nothing to do with the propane operation.

Did the propane heater light? Have you tried it again with water in the tank? If it isn't working then, but was working before, I would call the manufacturer for "guidance".

If the heater itself isn't damaged, the electrical part might work fine....just be sure that there is water in the tank before operating that switch.

Let us know how it worked out...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I would think that the if the propane part of the heater came on and the tank was empty the system would try to heat up but would shut off almost immediately. The reason being that the tank would show it had reached the proper temp. Maybe not. I've never had the situation come up so I'm just thinking out loud.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
I apologize for not answering before now. We are out with the Monty on a 1 month trip and just now have access to wifi (that actually is finally connecting). The night that the water heater would not heat was the night before we planned to head out. Thanks for all the info. Hubby checked it out the next morning and the reset switch on the water heater had to be pushed. It then worked fine on propane. Hubby had installed 2 pantry drawer slides in where the trash bin was located in the 2955 RL. The switch was probably bumped when he accidentally bumped it while installing a lock notch system on these interior drawers. We always use electricity, but the first night we were stopping over with friends and not hooking up anything and needed the propane water heater. Electric and propane both are working fine.
Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote