Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
Mountaineer TT 315RLS (current draw)

My 2003 Mountaineer TT 315RLS has a current draw that will draw my batteries down when setting without shore power. There is a very small current draw for the fantastic fan and the LP detector. My problem is on the 12V #3 circuit that is for the bath. From what I can tell there are the two ceiling lights and the bathroom fan on this circuit. I have a constant 1.36 amps draw on this circuit, so I'm missing something. To my knowledge I have everything electrical turned off in the trailer. Anybody have any ideas what this current draw may be.

Thanks

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Arizona

shehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Don,

Is it possible that your refrigerator is on this circuit. There is a 12 volt controller in the refrigerator that is required for either gas or 120 Volt AC operation.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
Right now I think anything is possible. The refrigerator is off, I don't know if this would turn off that controller. I assume if the refrigerator light comes on the controller would be working, need to test.
I assumed that the refrigerator would be on the kitchen circuit. I need to check this out. In talking to Keystone, they are no help and the local dealer has no idea but will take a look at it for $90.00/hr. I guess one way would be to pull all the 12V fuses and see what will operate.

Thanks

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Az

Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
There is that switch inside the fridge that supplies heat to the door trim to stop condensation.
I keep mine off and I was told that pulls quite a bit of current.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just a thought, not sure if it is even related or not. I had a 2002 Mountaineer 315RLS with the electric front jack on the tongue, if you have this electric jack could it be pulling power even while not being used? I had the same problem with my TT, I unplugged the LP detector, the fridge was off during winter storage I even pulled the bulb out, tried everything and could never find what was drawing the juice to drain the batteries. I finally just unhooked the batteries while stored for the winter. Good luck in finding the problem, also please let us know if you find out what is causing this - I am curious.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
As I remember when installing my two 6V golf cart batteries between the coach and lp tanks, the electric jack was wired direct to the leads just off the battery. What I'm seeing in the current draw is using a meter across the 12V panel fuse #3. My problem is inside after the 12V panel on fuse circuit #3. Disconnecting one of the battery leads may be a solution if I can not find the problem.

Thanks

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Az

Old 02-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266
I just checked it, this is not tied to circuit #3. The book on the refrigerator states that indeed is does draw a quite a bit of current. They suggest that one keep it off when not connected to shore power.

Thanks

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Az

Old 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We had this problem in our Mountaineer TT and we came to the conclusion that it was the Propane gas sniffer and also if I remember correctly the flash light. We did what others have done, had a switch fitted so as to disconnect the batteries when the TT was not in use.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shehi

My 2003 Mountaineer TT 315RLS has a current draw that will draw my batteries down when setting without shore power. There is a very small current draw for the fantastic fan and the LP detector. My problem is on the 12V #3 circuit that is for the bath. From what I can tell there are the two ceiling lights and the bathroom fan on this circuit. I have a constant 1.36 amps draw on this circuit, so I'm missing something. To my knowledge I have everything electrical turned off in the trailer. Anybody have any ideas what this current draw may be.

Thanks

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, Arizona
Don,
Having not been able to figure this out ourselves we've resorted to disconnecting the battery.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Had the same problem on the Montana. My solution was to put a switch on the battery cable and shut off the line.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:26 AM   #11
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
My Other make trailer has a battery disconnect inside a cabinet near the front door. Very Very useful. Any Manuf. that does not at least offer this feature should be "shot" , including Keystone.
I have been told by more than one RV tech that the propane detector alone will drain the battery within a few weeks. With the Stereo and other draws, I'm sure the battery will drain quicker, depending on the size of battery.
I will be adding the same style battery quick disconnect to my new Mountaineer soon.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #12
shehi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5266

My Other make trailer has a battery disconnect inside a cabinet near the front door. Very Very useful. Any Manuf. that does not at least offer this feature should be "shot" , including Keystone.
I have been told by more than one RV tech that the propane detector alone will drain the battery within a few weeks. With the Stereo and other draws, I'm sure the battery will drain quicker, depending on the size of battery.
I will be adding the same style battery quick disconnect to my new Mountaineer soon.

Now for the rest of the story!!!!

This morning we had a need for two folding chairs, the two we carry in the Mountaineer. So off the the TT in the back yard, looking into the basement storage from the sunny side of the TT. Not there so close this side and it's off to the shady side of the TT. After removing the two folding chairs, looking back across the basement storage I notice that a basement light is on. I have not checked circuit #3, but I would bet this light is my 1.36 amp draw.

Looking on the postive side of my not doing my home work to make sure all items were off. I have learned that the basement lights must be on the bath circuit and not the bedroom circuit which is closer. I have received a lot of good information about my TT that I did not know and made some new RV internet friends.

I agree with you all, the LP detector, flashlight charger and fantastic ceiling fan are the cause of the battery drain. Of course my leaving a light did not help the batteries. Again I agree, I will be out looking for a 12V switch to disconnect my batteries when parked.

Thanks for all the help from you all

Don Shehi
Camp Verde, AZ