Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Loose living room television

We have found that our living room televison in our 3400RL has become loose and rocks from all the bumps in the road. It almost fell out. We had a hard time figuring out how the TV was installed, three screws. Two screws into the bottom that requires the facia around the fireplace to be removed to get at them and one 4" screw, which broke, into the top of the TV through center speaker hole on the entertainment system. Not the best way to mount electronics! Has anyone encountered this problem and how did you solve it? I'm thinking of some type of slide/lock system that could be attached inside the cabinet and the TV to the slide.

Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
This sounds like a new problem in a Montana, if there ever is a new problems. Someone will come along with some personal advice, I'm sure. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum. You picked a great floorplan.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We put our new tv in the same way, screws right thru the plastic case, etc etc etc. Just like you are reporting Rocky2. There are special gizmo's you can purchase at rv dealers and CW that will assist in holding your tv in place, someone who has one can tell you the real name. Al put the new tv in just with screws, but the tv in the bedroom he augmented with some "L" braces, one end in the cabinetry,the other in the TV.

Good luck, we had the first tv snap at least one of the screws right in half, that was back in July or August of 2003, when our unit was barely 2 months old. Bad roads will do that.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have had the same problem and have not been able to get into the top area to find the screw to replace or to put in an L bracket. The dealer said all we had to do is pop out the speaker...tried that. The cover came off but couldn't get the speaker out. We wedge a roll of that rubberized nonslip cupboard liner in before we travel. It has fallen forward a couple of times. Fortunately it hasn't fallen out on the floor. So any tips on how to get the speaker out will be greatly appreciated.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Myrna - We found a 4" screw in the top portion of the cabinet where the CD player is mounted. It's at the very front/center just behind the doors and is covered by a plastic cap. It should be a silver 4" square drive screw. Ours was broken and we had to remove the top portion separately from the part stuck in the TV case.
Joe
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As far as I know they're all installed the same way. I removed our TV when trying to find jacks to plug the dvd into on the back side. When replacing the tv I could not get the screws lined up with the previously used holes. Eventually I just held my breath and let the screws dig new holes (tv unplugged, of course). I managed not to hit a flyback transformer (do they still use those?) or capacitor or anything else holding a charge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I've touched those before... you can smell the hair on your hand burning... something you will always want to avoid a 2nd time.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If you don't wsant to screw into the television cabinet, you can use earthquake gizmos that hold down TV's, computers, etc. They are like a snap down clamp. If you are not in earthquake country and they are in your stores, you can buy them on line. They come in different strengths for different equipment. I've been in RVs that use them to hold down coffee pots, etc. also.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the same problem with the top screw coming loose on the top of my tv. I took the coach into the shop and they replaced the scew with a longer screw and have not had any trouble since. I have no idea how the shop was able to get to that screw but they did and now no more bounce or shaking of the tv.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I installed a strap on my TV that also broke the top screw. You can get the same strap material and the buckles that hold down the chairs at a fabric shop. I unscrewed the TV and put the straps on the side by screwing them from the back side so as not to see them and then when we travel put the strap across the TV and that should at less keep the TV from falling. Can't tell you if it will stop from breaking the screw.If there is something that will hold the top of the TV please let me know. What a funky way to install something.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
As hazmic says, using straps will prevent the TV from moving. I purchased the strap material and buckles at Walmart. Here is a link to the finished product.

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre.../tvstraps.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #12
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Just like hazmic and fulltimedreamer we used straps. I bought a device for my last 5vr at an rv store in AZ that attached to the television and rv with adhesive clamps. It worked great. My new Monty came with lashing straps for the tele. Just like the ones for the recliners. You can even use a long piece of velcro anchored on both ends to hold it in place. My unit is mounted on a slide out which makes it easy to get at.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since the TV tray slides forward and allows the TV to swivel, ours has always had a velcro strap, similar to the one featured by Fulltimedreamer, to stablize it during travel. Has worked well.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote