Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Montana_5204

M.O.C. #5204
Holding Tank Guages

Does anyone else have trouble with the gray & black tank guages? We tend to park for extended periods so it's not always convenient to "stir" the tanks B4 emptying them. We do have the black tank flushing system, but it doesn't help. Does anyone know of any chemicals or treatments that clean the sensors without packing up the trailer so we can drive it around for a couple of hours? I would appreciate any working suggestions. Thanks! Bob C.

Montana_5204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bob,

One of the best things I've ever used to clean the senors in the holding tanks
is plain old Baking soda. A couple of tablespoons down the trap or in the head
seem to work most of the time

Take care John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob, this has been discussed here ohhh, a couple of times! HA HA, MANY TIMES!

Welcome to the forum, go find the search engine and then also search the archives.

You will find that many of us DON"T USE THOSE SILLY THINGS!! Even for extended stays.

One of the other things discussed has been Calgon water softener (not bath stuff, laundry stuff). Cleans real good

Use a lot of water in the black tank, helps with flushing and keeping clean.

Enjoy your Montana.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also use a TINY bit of Rid-x in the tank.You have to adjust the amount you use for the black tank size but it works well and it was something that "old timers" used before all the fancy chemicals.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I guess we don't use enough water so we purchased a water snake to help flush the toilet from the inside. The snake is abut three feet long and is connected to a water hose and flushes the tank from the inside. Works great for us.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Four fifthwheels, three different brands, same problem with the sensors. We have given it up and very rarely even look at those gauges. When water backs up in the shower, the gray tank is full. When it backs up into the sink, the galley tank is full. When the water pops a bit of a bubble when you flush the toilet, we're about a day from being full on the black tank. Sorry to bear the bad news about those gauges but I'm just no longer convinced they're worth the trouble to try to keep them reading properly.

If you really want sensors that work I'd suggest you add aftermarket sensors that go on the outside of the tank where the tank contents cannot possibly foul them. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
One brand is vena.com They look like the would work quite well but not cheap. The sensors mount outside of the tank. The ones that come with the camper are funky and as stated before are NOT dependable. Good luck.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Four fifthwheels, three different brands, same problem with the sensors. We have given it up and very rarely even look at those gauges. When water backs up in the shower, the gray tank is full. When it backs up into the sink, the galley tank is full. When the water pops a bit of a bubble when you flush the toilet, we're about a day from being full on the black tank. Sorry to bear the bad news about those gauges but I'm just no longer convinced they're worth the trouble to try to keep them reading properly.

If you really want sensors that work I'd suggest you add aftermarket sensors that go on the outside of the tank where the tank contents cannot possibly foul them. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
AMEN to that Steve.
I haven't looked at those worthless gauges in over a year.
Got better things to do than trying to get those sensors to work.
Forget the sensors and the gauges and get on with your life.
As Kenny Rogers once said...
"You gotta know when to holdem and know when to dumpem" or something like that
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215

I have camped in units from the 1960s until today and have never known one of those sensors to work well. Our last trip out in November, I had COMPLETELY drained the tanks before going home in October and the first thing I did was hit the button on the black tank and it was reading full!

Those sensors are just not worth the fight. Take Steve’s suggestions and just have a good trip!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 AM   #10
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Just spent a night in my new Mountaineer and when I pulled the most missplaced dump handles you could think of my guage for my black tank still reads 3/4. This was for a one night stay. ?
My 2001 Moble Scout TT guages still work fine. (I'm RV poor)
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I camped out for three nights on a weekend in November. When I went to dump I pulled out the black tank dump and nothing happened. Pulled the grays and got a good flush.
Checked the lights and it showed 1/2 full. Took it home, put water down the stool with a hose and pulled the lever, NOTHING. Took it to my dealer the next week and they installed a no-fuss flush system. They told me when they checked the unit the black tank was empty. "Where did the fluid go???". I didn't get an answer.

The sensors and flush are working fine now. Hope my troubles are behind me.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #12
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Go to www.allprowaterflow.com and read all the info on chemicals in your holding tanks,chemicals causeing sludge in your tanks.The adding of fixtures to your tanks only work off water presure.Lots of good info.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote