Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
HELP PLEASE (UPDATE)

I have been sitting here all day and I always look at the Refig light to make sure that it is on. Well it is and has been on all day, I just got up to check the frig and everything is thawed out and I have a 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the freezer, We just don't know what is going on, the gas light will come on but when I push on the on and off button nothing comes on unless I push the gas button.... Does anyone know if there is a fuse or something that we should know about?? Walt has looked at all the fuses and none of them are off.... I am sorry I am running on but I am a long way from a dealer... All information is welcome... Thank You

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Not real clear as to when/if the GAS light comes on. Was the AUTO light ON or OFF when you found the thawing?? Did the GAS light come on by itself, or did you make it come on by pushing the GAS switch? Does tha AUTO light come ON at all now?

The AUTO switch-over to DC/gas operation will only happen if you lose AC power to the fridge, NOT just if some part of the system itself fails. There should be both a circuit breaker and a DC fuse involved. Any other AC powered items not working?

Take the outside fridge access panel off and look around for any signs of leaking coolant...yellowish stuff, strong ammonia odor (bad sign!!). Also check the place where the fridge electrical plug goes and make sure it is plugged in and there is power to that AC outlet. In our rig, as I recall, it is in that same compartment. We are visiting kids tonight, so can't look at mine to double check that part.

If everything looks OK there, and if you are lucky, you might be able to operate the fridge on DC power and gas only, just like you were "boondocking". For this, you will have place the AUTO switch OFF, and the GAS switch ON. The gas light should illuinate. Even if it will work that way it will take a while for it to start cooling, and won't be noticeable to you at first. if you are looking at the mechanism from outside in the access area you might be able to see a small flame in the "flu" as the LP gas heats the refrigerant .

Hope that is of some help. You might want a mobile RV tech to make a "house call" even just for troubleshooting. Even if you get it working on DC/gas only, you are going to have to get it fixed somewhere soon, unless it was just the loose AC plug.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in..I'm obviously not a refrig tech!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a fuse on the fridge ckt board..also pull the fridge fuse on the fuse panel out and check it.. Our red light was NOT lit indicating a blown fuse..but the fuse was blown resulting in the igniter not operating hence no 12V..no gas operation. Do as pat says attempting to operate on gas .. looking at the flu you should hear the igniter snapping and the flame if lite..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
did by chance the defrost switch get flipped to the defrost side?
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
let me refrase that the climate contro switch hidden above the freezer door in the upper right hand side mine is in the off position right now just went out and looked at it don't really know if that might cause your problem or not just a thought
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
From the sounds of things, you have lost 115vAC to the refrig but you have 12vDC, which drives the inside light and refer's control panel and the gas valve to the refrig. By chance, have you also lost power to your living room, and entertainment center circuits, or any other 115VAC circuits? On mine, the refrig circuit is tied to these other circuits; yours may be wired differently. If these are dead also, then I would begin chasing down an electrical wiring problem. When mine went dead, the circuit breaker was fine as was all the wiring leaving the breaker box and into each electrical outlet box. The problem was the return wire (white wire) back into the breaker box was loose at the buss bar, causing a dead circuit condition. If you find dead circuits but the breaker is not tripped, check the return wire buss bar in the breaker box for a loose screw. These things do work loose over time with the fantastic roads we travel on.

Wish you luck in finding the problem. When you do uncover the problem let us know what you found.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
I should have read your symptoms a bit closer. The refrig Auto control should have switched to gas if you lost 115vAC. If you are in Auto mode and you have the Gas indicator lit, and if you still have propane in your tanks, then what I said will have no bearing; you should be cooling down using Gas. If your refrig is not cooling under gas, it would appear you have a refer problem and here I would agree with patodonn. I hope you are not victim to the dreaded ammonia leak problem, which some models are experiencing and Dometic has a recall out on. You may also have a control board problem too. But this gives you a few things to look for before you have to call in the big guns for repair. Sometimes, we overlook the obvious when we find ourselves with a problem. That is where this Forum really shines. It helps remind us of those things we may overlook. Hopefuly this will be a simple problem to fix.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Hopefully the refrigerator outlet would not be an the same circuit as your GFCI, but you may want to check the GFCI breakers - "test" (pop)them and rest them.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #9
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We had a similiar problem with our old 2955. We went into access panel for the refrigerator located on the outside, there is a plug in there for the refrigerator. Unplug it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. It worked for us........Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Like Old GI, my brother had a similar problem. His control board was trying to go bad and he had to "reset" it by unpluging and waiting. In the end though, he did have to replace his board. He recommends the Dinosaur after-market board because of cost and added features. Good luck. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
This what we have done so far,Checked all fuse's and breakers in the converter,replaced breakers in the front storage compartment,checked the fuse's in the frig compartment, unplugged the frig and waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Everything in the RV is working all lights and plugs. The auto light comes on but the frig will not cool at all,When I put it on propane the burner will light but nothing happens, and wouldn't you know this kind of stuff always happens on a week end. Don't know if anything is open in town but we are going in to see if we can get some help.A Big THANKS for all your replies, OH! I checked this morning and my frig is on the recall list too.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
I just found out this from Dometic Web Site.(The information that you entered indicated that your refrigerator is affected by this voluntary recall. Please do the following

1. Turn the refrigerater off immediately if you notice any of the following indicators;

A.Leakage or staining at the back of the refrigerator
B.Yellow residue at the back or sides of the refrigerator.
C. The smell of ammonia.
D.Refrigerator does not properly cool.

Any unit found to have one or more of the characterlistics mentioned aboue MUST be shut down and not operated until the unit is fixed and the recall rework administered.

Ours has the first two of these, I will be calling Dometic tomorrow. You can find more information at the Dometic web site.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #13
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Linda, Ours stopped working a couple months ago and after going through all the same checks I went outside and found "the dreaded leak" of green goo indicating a bad ammonia coolant rupture. Of course there was also the smell(ugh). The fridge was replaced under warranty.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #14
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
This is what we found out this morning,walt has been on the phone talking with Dometic, They have decided to replace the whole frig now sence the parts won't be ready till next month and we are full timers. So we have a appointment next Wed. at Camping World in Henderson NV at 8:00AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We found Dometic great to work with when we had our Ckt board problem.They had a replacement board here in 3 days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm glad to hear this is being taken care of, Linda. Being without a refrigerator would be a traumatic experience for us, too. I'm sorry you have to take it clear down to Henderson but at least it's being taken care of.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #17
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Why didn't they set up your appointment at the new Camping World, on Las Vegas Blvd. and save you driving clear across town with the camper?
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
The new Camping World in Vegas did not have the frig that we wanted they have only been open a couple of months so they sent us to the Henderson store.