Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
HDTV

I'm thinking of adding a flat screen HDTV to my camper for Christmas.
SOMETHING ABOUT AN "OVER THE AIR" BOX WILL BE NEEDED TO VIEW HD PROGRAMING? DOES THIS WORK WITH MY PRESENT CAMPER ANTENNA? IS IT EXPENSIVE? THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR ADVICE.

Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rex & Mary

I'm thinking of adding a flat screen HDTV to my camper for Christmas.
SOMETHING ABOUT AN "OVER THE AIR" BOX WILL BE NEEDED TO VIEW HD PROGRAMING? DOES THIS WORK WITH MY PRESENT CAMPER ANTENNA? IS IT EXPENSIVE? THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR ADVICE.
Kinda depends on what brand/model you buy. If it has an HD tuner built in and you have local stations that are transmitting HD, your current antenna should work if the signal strength is OK. If there is no integral tuner then you need to buy one or, if on cable, rent one from the cable company. Not sure how to answer expensive - I just bought the latest Samsung 27" at Sam's Club to install in our Monty and it was about $800. It has an HD tuner built in.

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
So is it HD that we all have to have by 2008 or sometime??? We are in the process of looking for the bedroom in the Monty (2005's did not come with bedroom TV) and I'm confused. I know I could research this on the web, but I've got great experts right here on the MOC!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I'm not sure of the date, but sometime about then, the broadcasters are supposed to only be transmitting in HD. Either you will have to have an HDTV, or a box that receives the HD signal and converts it to the analog signal our tv's currently use.

With the casual viewing I do, I'm not impressed with the advantages of HD over a large screen analog tv or a projector (both of which we have). Most of the programming does not improve just because it's transmitted in HD. I must say that I've seen a lot of HDTVs being returned at Costco, but that may be due to high prices and low availability of HD programming.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote