Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2024, 01:25 PM   #21
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Unhappy

The one state park on the Oregon coast that we stay at doesn't have sewer hookups. We use the parks showers and restrooms when I can convince my wife. To dump the kitchen tank we sometimes use the dishwater drains located around the park to dump about 10 gallons of sink water. We stay at this park for 5 days and then dump everything at our next stop. This park has a dump station, but is much too busy to wait in line for. Don't know why they don't put in 2 more dump stations for this large park. They have full hookups for the camp hosts. This is South Beach in Newport Oregon which is a state park.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 02:29 PM   #22
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Sea level gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Tony, we installed the SeaLevel gages on our last two Montana’s. They measure in percentage. We get two weeks on black and grey tanks. Usually, we can stretch fresh water to 10 days. We carry a Harbor Freight pump and a 45 gallon bladder.
How difficult are the SeaLevel gauges to install?

Thanks
jann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 03:49 PM   #23
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Our tank capacity is similar to yours, and there are three of us traveling together. We are good at boondocking for approximately two weeks before there was a need to empty the tanks. When boondock the following works well for us after we have filled the freshwater tank:

#1 - Have a water bladder and a transfer pump to reload the RV with fresh water. We have a 5-gal plastic container, but I prefer the bladder and transfer pump, so I do not need to lift the container to place water into the tank AND it eliminates several trips to the water station or carrying multiple containers.

#2 - We use a collapsible washing pale for cleaning dishes. It is rectangular and fits in the sink. When washing dishes, we use a paper towel to clean off the dish and then wash it, collecting the water in the collapsible pan. This water is then transferred to a bucket for storage - see #3.

#3 - The water we retain in the bucket (Item #2) from washing dishes is used in the toilet for flushing. If there is an abundance of dish water, water a plant or tree! This way we reserve our fresh water for showers and cleaning dishes.

#4 - Military showers. Water on, water off. We try to limit showers to 2 - 3 a week, and no more!

#5 - Purchase a case of bottled drinking water for consumption when not enjoying some other form of refreshment. Purchase several (5 to 7.5 gallons water) of the one- or 2.5-gallon containers of water for coffee, tea, ice maker, and other cooking needs.

#6 - My wife and daughter use the facilities in the 5th wheel, and I will use public facilities when available. If not available, then I will use the facilities in the 5th wheel too!

#7 - My monitors work so-so, and they are never accurate! When dry camping, we listen for the water falling into the shower and sink holding tanks. I have a hose for emergencies to drain off water from those tanks when necessary - I had to do this just once and the tree near my campsite was very grateful. However, when the toilet burps, then it is time to hook-up and find a dump station! Remember, when it is yellow, it is mellow. If brown, flush it down!

Using these simple rules helps us say as long in one location before we need to hook-up and find a dump. As the time in camp draws to a close, we will begin to use the facilities, shower and sinks as if we had hook-ups. We want to fill our holding tanks to ensure a quality dump of the tanks.

Happy Boondocking!
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:17 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We can go for 9 or 10 days but the problem is usually not the black tank or any tank for that matter it's running out of fresh water.
This is the reason I put a shut-off valve in every camper I've owned on the toilet water supply so I can throttle it down
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:48 PM   #25
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
There are a lot of variables to consider. Probably how much you sacrifice to maximize your tanks. As many have mentioned, paper plates, short showers etc. . Weather can determine how long you can go without dumping since heat can lead to smells. You will learn your black tank by sound. As someone mentioned it will make a burp sound when it’s getting totally full. One thing we do (some find gross) is we put our TP in a separate trash container. After doing this and super cleaning our tank the sensors are working properly. But even after reading full you have a couple days depending on your level of use. Last summer we stayed out for 4 months and could go 2 to 3 weeks.
Fresh water can be a challenge but having a bladder and a pump makes easy work of that as well.
Happy Boondocking
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:21 PM   #26
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
There are a lot of variables to consider. Probably how much you sacrifice to maximize your tanks. As many have mentioned, paper plates, short showers etc. . Weather can determine how long you can go without dumping since heat can lead to smells. You will learn your black tank by sound. As someone mentioned it will make a burp sound when it’s getting totally full. One thing we do (some find gross) is we put our TP in a separate trash container. After doing this and super cleaning our tank the sensors are working properly. But even after reading full you have a couple days depending on your level of use. Last summer we stayed out for 4 months and could go 2 to 3 weeks.
Fresh water can be a challenge but having a bladder and a pump makes easy work of that as well.
Happy Boondocking
And I thought we were the only ones that put toilet paper in a separate trash can. We just use the little grocery bags you get from the store as a liner and empty it every couple days. We don't think it's gross at all
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:25 PM   #27
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
And I thought we were the only ones that put toilet paper in a separate trash can. We just use the little grocery bags you get from the store as a liner and empty it every couple days. We don't think it's gross at all

Hate to break it to you guys but Yes that's absolutely gross. No way around it. Yuk!
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote