Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Vacumm cleaners

Momma wants to check any suggestions for a light wait vacuum that can maybe be used on hard floors as well as carpet with cleaning tools for drapes, upholstery, etc. The central vac option was just too $$$.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
My wife is palnning on getting the "Shark" from Lowes. She has a sister who has nothing but praise for hers.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I thought about the 'shark' but after the discussions and praises about the Eureka 'yellow' with telescopic handle ($37 at Sam's) I decided to give it a whirl, leaving my Filter Queen at stick home. Tried it in house and so far so good - will try it in the 5er this week. Either are compact making it ideal for the 5er.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
I bought the shark, it is a little upright. I was impressed at how much litter that I could not even see with the naked eye that thing picked it. It is a little hard to push on the carpet, not sure if it is "okay" to use on tile, but that little bugger can suck! Appears to do better than my Hoover Windtunner I use at home. I paid $69 at target --- seems I should have shopped around. I am very pleased with it!
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have a held held shark but I am not to impressed with it ...maybe the uprights are much better....although it is good for alady bug pick me upper...I also just recently purchased the Eureka 'yellow' with telescopic handle and I am pleased with it, seems to have alot of pickme up for the price and you can run it on bare floors also..no accessory tools though.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:50 AM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Has anyone seen the commercial for the new dirt devil that has the telescoping handle and do you have one. Haven't looked at one in person but seeing it on TV looks pretty good.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
I saw the commercial and went to buy it.... that is when I spotted the Shark... hard deciding, but went for the shark because it had a smaller head and I figured I could get into corners, etc. better. I have 90 days to return it to target if I am not pleased. That little plastic cup was collecting dirt fast when running it.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I tried "Little Yellow" in the 5er yesterday and pleased with the pickup there - depending which way your carpet lays seems to make a difference in ease or difficulty of pushing it but doesn't take alot of energy to get the job done. I do miss not having my attachments that the Filter Queen has but when we bought the 5er I had bought a hand held Dirt Devil with power head that takes care of little needs. I had looked on the web when looking for "little yellow" and saw that "The Shark" comes in a canister and wondered if any of you had tried it - didn't know they made an upright.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Have a shark turbo canister style, looks like a little space ship on wheels. Made the purchase off ebay, it was used very little, another of those "this is what we got you for christmas even if you didnt need it" so my wife and I purchased it . Cleans great and has the extensions for useing the carpet cleaner also works good on the vinyl floors. Stows in one of those, what should we put in that cabnit.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #10
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
In both this thread and a previous one discussing vacuum cleaners no one has mentioned how easy/difficult it is to clean the filter. I know some of these vacuums mentioned in this thread are bagless and it was a pain in the behind to clean the filter on the smaller bagless vacuums we've tried. The Shark model we tried even shut down before we finished vacuuming the entire rig ... according to the manual, the unit will shut off if the filter is dirty.

Finding the right vacuum as been a difficult and on-going quest for us (keep in mind that we're full-timers so our carpet gets the same kind of dirt, wear-and-tear that stick homes get) ... the smaller ones don't do a sufficient job and the larger, full size units are awkward and difficult to manueuver but do a great job and the carpet looks so much better after vacuuming. In addition, the filter on the full size units doesn't require cleaning as often, whereas the filters on the smaller units require cleaning after each use.

I'd like to hear suggestions/opinions from other full-timers who don't have central vac. Since this is "Steve's job" I know he will be anxiously awaiting responses.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 AM   #11
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
A couple of months ago I asked the same question that you did about a small vacuum cleaner for our Montana. I had been carrying our large vacuum out to the trailer to clean after each trip and it gets pretty tiresome doing that. I knew that there had to be something lighter and better than that. So, I asked these wonderful people on the forum for suggestions. Well, they were forth coming pronto and I got answers ....The one that I thought got the most raves was the little yellow Eureka. After reading all of the posts, I decided to go shopping and ended up buying the little yellow Eureka. It works so good that it is unbelieveable. I can vacuum between the bed and the closet and on the other side as well. Also, I can vacuum under the table easily too. It is just wide enough and not too wide that it can't get in the smaller places. I hightly recommend the Little yellow Eureka to you for your Montana.!! You can buy it at Sam's for around $36.00 . Good Luck.
Shirley or Countrygirl
Shirley or Countrygirl
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We purchased the yellow Eureka and love it, We use our little compact vacuum to cleam the filter on the Eureka
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
For those of you with the "little yellow Eureka", is the suction as good as your large vacuum in your stick home? We are a bit gunshy about buying yet another small vacuum. We have had several. We thought our first small (non-stick) vacuum was doing a good job but our carpet looked rather ratty after a year of fulltiming. I thought it was poor carpet. Then we bought a larger vacuum. It pulled so much out of the carpet we had to empty it twice on the first vacuuming. This was a full sized vacuum. And the carpet looked so much better. That soured us a bit on the small vacuums.

The large one we have now will not fit between bed and closet and a couple of other places. It's also a bit unwieldy in the coach in general. So I am interested in a small vacuum if I can find one that truly has the pickup power of our larger one. So, my question, again, is does the little yellow Eureka do as good a job as your large vacuum in your stick home? As fulltimers we never go "home" after a weekend or vacation so have no way to finish the job with a large vacuum from a stick home.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 AM   #14
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Steve and Vickie, I find that the little yellow Eureka does a fantastic job. As some of the others stated in the other thread about this subject...it lifts the carpet up it has so much suction. It is light weight and the handle folds down and that is what we wanted . We wanted something that would do the job, and at the same time not be heavy to carry. I can't say enough about this little vacuum doing such a good job on the carpet. For the cost, you can't beat it.
Now, I know that many wouldn't like the idea of having to empty a non-bag type vacuum cleaner.
But, it isn't all that bad really. I don't mind at all. There will always be advantages and disadvantages of any product. The good points far outweigh the bad points which are very few.
With this vacuum, I can reach places that I had never reached with my Oreck. It is just too large to get into the place where dust hides. I don't like the idea of having to get down on my hands and knees to reach those places with a smaller hand held vacuum cleaner. Sooo, I think that you can't go wrong with spending $36.00 for the little yellow Eureka. Any more questions??
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #15
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,
I'll have to go with countrygirl on this one. We were amazed that so small a vacuum could have such a strong suction. We have a couple of throw rugs with rubber backing. This little vacuum tries to move them around so you have to hold them with your toe while vacuuming.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks. We're going to try it when we get to the KC area in early June and can store this big one in one of our dear children's basements.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We also have a little silver Eureka model with a folddown handle. It's called "The Boss". I love the way it works and fits between the bed and closet and under the cabinets, etc. I did take some time to wash out the filter today after vacuuming. It was the first time I've cleaned it since purchasing it 2 or 3 months ago and using it quite a bit but not as a fulltimer. Don't know if it was a good idea or not but I took a blunt pencil and pushed the "mud" out of the accordion pleats on the filter. It was mud because I had previously rinsed out the filter. Seems to be much cleaner. I can't say that I had seen any significant decrease in performance before cleaning it. I usually empty the dust container at least twice when I'm vacuuming just so I will get the maximum performance. But I agree, the little Eurekas are quite effective and lightweight.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:43 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It appears there is more than one yellow Eureka model. Which model are we talking about in this thread?
thanks.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #19
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,
It's "The Boss" Superlite Vacuum. Model 402A. They also make a silver one and a blue one that I have seen at other stores besides Target, i.e. BJ's Club, Sam's Club and Walmart. I saw these after purchasing ours from Target. The prices between stores only varied by a couple of bucks.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thank you! A quick google search using the model number turned up an adobe acrobat pdf version of the user manual. If anyone thinking of getting this vaccum is interested, it's at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...&append-uid=no

Well, looking at that url, it might not work. I found that link at this page
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...84660?v=glance

If that doesn't work, either, do a google search on 'eureka 402a' and click on the one that is at amazon.com .