Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
COFFEE GROUNDS

When at home, we occasionally dispose of coffee grounds by running them through our garbage disposel.
Has anyone dumped coffee grounds into their kitchen sink in the Monty's??
Does/would this cause a problem because they would settle onto the bottom of the gray tanks??
Do not want to carry the coffee pot to the bath & dump into the toilet. Out of the question.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Larrt P, I guess I'm missing something. Why not just put them in the trash?

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
The coffee pot we use does not have a paper filter. We use a Bodem type coffee maker. The grounds are just loose at the bottom of the pot. Just dumping them into the garbage would be too messy.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
And I think dumping them in the drain is even messier because they might not get drained out enough when dumping the tank, then over time, complications may arise. Just cuz you can't see them doesn't mean something is not making a mess.

Any article I've read on tank treatment suggests it is highly recommended that no debris is dumped into the gray tank, including coffee grounds, food bits, any type of trash and that these items should be put in a trash receptacle that gets dumped elsewhere. I believe it's because a lot of debris settles to the bottom and may not get evacuated and over time, becomes solid, creates odors and increases the amount of water and time to keep the tank clean and maintained.

Same with black tanks, only bio waste, water and TP meant to dissolve easily. Nothing else goes in there for the same reasons you identify about the debris in the tanks. For this reason, I wouldn't put coffee grounds in the black tank either.

My view is that a trash can will be messy looking, after all, it all the waste from what you use in life. Use a covered trash can or keep the can outdoors, but not seeing the mess is worse than seeing the mess. I am not familiar with a Bodem, but I imagine it's like a French press type maker that has the grounds at the bottom and while it might be messier to clean out, I think it's far better to clean the pot into the trash, not the drain.

That's my answer to your questions and have been doing following these rules for some time with great success.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would venture to say that you would be setting yourself up for trouble in the future. The galley tanks are a very slow draining tank due to the smaller sized pipe that drains it and I can see a very good possibility that the grounds eventually would build up and blcok the discharge.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Buy a Mr Coffee for the Monty and keep the Bodem at home
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Quote:
quote:Buy a Mr Coffee for the Monty and keep the Bodem at home
or, if you dont want to change from the Bodem, buy some coffee filters and sit one in the sink drain and dump the leftover coffee down the drain through the filter then just toss the filter.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil has the right idea, and all the comments on NOT putting grounds in your gray tank, are, in my opinion, RIGHT on. Cannot suggest doing so.

Not familiar with the coffee maker, but, I'll be willing to offer to try a cup of your coffee should we meet someday on the road!

Happy trails!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
Not sure what type of maker this is, but if like a french press then put a small coffee filter in the bottom of the pot. Then lift out the filter when you are done enjoying your morning brew. Makes clean up easier but not perfect. We do this and it makes clean up easier. We use a french press when we dry camp and don't want to run the generator.
Neighbors like this method at 6AM.
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Thank you all for your comments. My wife has been pouring the grounds into a paper filter and drining the grounds of water as much as possible before throwing the into the garbage. We just thought we would ask the question of dumping the grounds elsewhere.
We will continue our current procedure for getting rid of the grounds.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Why not just take the pot to a nearby bush, tree or green growth and pour it there. Coffee grounds are great for planting and plants. The grounds are bio-degradable and shouldn't hurt anything. That is unless it is decaf coffee, just kidding.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
we save our 3 lb coffee cans from home and monty and keep one on counter to dump coffee grounds, bacon grease, etc, when full, throw in trash.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
I'm with Wheelhouse on this one. We compost ours at home and find a flower bed or tree to mix the grounds in on the road. Its a great soil additive.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
HPRUM2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #931
kurig+k cups good no grounds hprum2000
HPRUM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
We bought an extra fine stainless steel strainer that fits in the sink trap from WalMart that really catches all the small bits. We do not put coffee grounds in the sink though.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
....or you could try an AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker.

We love ours, and getting rid of the grounds is real easy.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote