Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
loadmaster
Established Member

M.O.C. #20581
New Plank Flooring

Good Morning Everyone: My question to you all is, I'm in the middle of replacing the carpet and vinyl on the main floor, with Pioneer Park Sycamore 4mm click flooring. What I'm after is how can make the transition from the plank flooring on the slide to the main floor so it is smooth, I know their will be a little height difference's so I'm looking for something for on the edge of the plank flooring on the slide that I can install, so I will not stump my toe on the edge of the flooring when the is slide out. It looks to be about and 1/8 - 1/4 inch height difference from the main floor to the top of the slide out.

I attached a few pictures of the flooring, I'm sorry about the pictures being on the side but I working with a new camera and can not get the pictures up right.

Any help will greatly appreciated.

Jim and Brenda Blackford
Montana 3582RL
Martinsburg, WV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200219_162753.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	5647   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_155803.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	5648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_155832.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	5649  

loadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I had asked the forum support folks about the issue of rotated pictures. Here is their response.
Quote:
Most phones auto rotate the view for the viewer. If you take a pic in landscape orientation the pic will display properly regardless of the way you turn the device. The forum can't do that. Most phones default camera orientation is portrait - folks shoot a pic in the non-default view and it always looks fine to them - they upload the pic here and it displays in it's default view (on it's side).

The solution for most folks to fix this is to open the image holding the phone in portrait orientation, and resave the image on their device. When they upload it here - it should behave correctly.
Personally I download the pics to my computer and ensure they are rotated correctly, using any of the photo manipulation tools, before uploading to the forum.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Appears that smart phone aren't as smart as we thought. Glad that was answered -- finally
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Appears that smart phone aren't as smart as we thought. Glad that was answered -- finally
No, but Carl is as smart as we thought.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
No, but Carl is as smart as we thought.
Probably not, I borrow from others.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #6
loadmaster
Established Member

M.O.C. #20581
Ok everyone I tried to upload new pix, and when I download them in a new folder and look at them they are fine, but when I upload them to the form the pix are rotated. So someone please tell me what's going on.

Anyhow all I'm looking for is some information about transitioning from the slide to the main floor after installing new plank flooring.

Thanks

Jim & Brenda Blackford
Martinsburg,WV
Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadmaster View Post
Ok everyone I tried to upload new pix, and when I download them in a new folder and look at them they are fine, but when I upload them to the form the pix are rotated. So someone please tell me what's going on.
Most likely your photo management tool is automatically correcting the display for you (aren't they nice?). The way I can tell is to open the folder (i.e. Pictures) with file manager using large icons (selected in the "View" tab). You can see immediately the orientation of the photo. Then right click on one that is out of whack and "Rotate" it until it is correct.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
If your new flooring is wood and not synthetic you should reconsider using as wood flooring does not like the large temperature swings and ambient moisture you will get in the RV. The floor will dramatically shrink and expand if a wood based product. This will also make it hard to use a transition with such movement

Now the vinyl waterproof planks are much better for this use. Just thought I would throw that out there...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #9
loadmaster
Established Member

M.O.C. #20581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
If your new flooring is wood and not synthetic you should reconsider using as wood flooring does not like the large temperature swings and ambient moisture you will get in the RV. The floor will dramatically shrink and expand if a wood based product. This will also make it hard to use a transition with such movement

Now the vinyl waterproof planks are much better for this use. Just thought I would throw that out there...

I don't use hardwood, we when with Tranquility Pioneer Park Sycamore Luxury vinyl plank flooring 4mm and it is glue down so no coming up or moving. It is from Lumber Liquidators. The carpet was wearing out and hard to clean so we decided to go with the vinyl plank flooring for easy clean up. I would like to remove the carpet on the slide but need to figure out how to make the transition from the slide to the main floor.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
loadmaster
Established Member

M.O.C. #20581
Will I figure out my problem, I had to resize the pictures and now you can see the picture better. Sorry for the headache.

So again any help worry be appreciated.

James Blackford
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transition area.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	5670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide out lip.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	5671  
Old 02-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post

I double ditto on this. We just got thru installing waterproof vinyl in our front living room. Looks great!

As for the transitions, that is a very common issue. I only had to worry about the stairs and used commonly available stair "L" shaped metal trim there. On the sides I used wooden round over stained to match the rest of the trailers trim. There are several types of wooden edge and transition trim out there readily available at the big box stores. I am handy enough to be dangerous and happen to own a router table so in some cases I might make my own if I wanted a perfect fit. But even without that you should be able to find something that would work at most any hardware/building supply store.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Oh a little helpful tip regarding carpet if you pull it up. Buy a heat gun at Harbor Freight. It works great at removing the leftover strings that you are a real pain to remove otherwise. You simply run the heat gun along the wall and the little carpet strings will melt into something you can hide with trim. Far safer than any type of open flame!!!

Another thing about the carpet. If it is a large open area it won't be nailed down except around the edges. HOWEVER, any carpet that is vertical or in a tight area or even in the slides will have a zillion small staples in it (installer must have stock in the staple company). Be prepared with a strong tool steel pick and good pliers of some kind.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
samroll
Established Member

M.O.C. #22485
We refloored ours with vinyl planks too but left the carpet in the sofa/table slide. It was in good shape so we decided to leave it. The other slides you can’t see the floor (kitchen and bedroom) so it didn’t matter.

2012 Montana 3582RL
2013 Ford F350SD King Ranch Dually
samroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #14
buford
Established Member

M.O.C. #25775
Hey Jimbo! The project looks great so far. Have you talked with Lumber Liquidators about what types of transitions the may offer for this project? Still available as a helper if needed,
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #15
mjmspeednut

M.O.C. #18019
You could trim some thin rubber baseboard and glue it down for the transition. The width you would have to determine to look good.
mjmspeednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #16
Ricos Ride
Established Member

M.O.C. #18095
What you need is called “stair nose Molding”. You can buy it at Home Depot and Lowe’s
Ricos Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #17
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Our 2019 has a vvinyl main floor but they kept the carpet in the dinette slide. The carpet extends over the joint when extended.

This couple did a youtube vidio of their project to replace carpet in their 2005 DRV Mobile Suites 5th Wheel. They left an overhanging plank to cover the gap.
https://youtu.be/GAfK1O160CM
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #18
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
How about just lay a carpet runner over the transition. Something longer like 2'x8' maybe. Open your slide, roll out the runner. Add a little color accent.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #19
loadmaster
Established Member

M.O.C. #20581
Thanks the job is done for now, but glad I could help today.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #20
Kabetogama

M.O.C. #25854
So what did you decide? Are you happy, any pictures?
I just bought mine a week ago and have already taken out the carpet and linoleum in the center today But know I am going to pull it from the slides tomorrow.

But thought I would check with a new pro ;>)
Kabetogama is offline   Reply With Quote