Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #21
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I'll go against the grain and say yes they will increase your payload, just not legally speaking. Remember on most 3/4 tons the only difference between it and a SRW one ton is one (evidently magical) leaf. That's it nothing else except the sticker on your door. So the airbag is nothing but a different type of spring which can actually support more weight then the one extra spring. NOTE TO WEIGHT POLICE...notice I am being very clear that this does not legally increase your payload, jut physically.
As for a smother ride, when I had them on my 05 F250 I found that they did help on dips and bridges but offered no improvement else ware. I find it hard to comprehend how stiffening your suspension can offer a smother ride unless you are constantly bottoming out. Most all who have posted after installing air bags report a smoother ride, with many claiming smoother even when empty. Go figure! Perhaps my butts just numb from to many years driving semi's

Old 12-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #22
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
Using a GMC 2500 tow vehicle, I researched both, adding extra leaf spring each side, and adding air bags. In our tiny Canadian dollars, springs were $800, bags $1400. I did both.
The springs, obviously, increase the capacity of the suspension. The springs worked so well the bags really were not necessary.
You have to decide whether you believe that the modification increases the truck capacity. I have modified many vehicles in my time, and I believe that modifications DO change the vehicle. Many others do not agree.
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-Alberta View Post
...You have to decide whether you believe that the modification increases the truck capacity. I have modified many vehicles in my time, and I believe that modifications DO change the vehicle...
Y'all driving 250/2500 trucks need to simply read the publications on weight and the definition for the terms regarding weight...you either are with in limits or you are out of limits. It's like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't, it's not a gray area.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #24
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
TLightning, not sure what recourse I would have if my truck was indeed pregnant! Therefore, I hope like heck I do not own a pregnant truck. Concur with the manufacturer stated capacities. Airbags & helper springs may improve ride, but they don't change the capacities in question.
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I'll go against the grain and say yes they will increase your payload, just not legally speaking. Remember on most 3/4 tons the only difference between it and a SRW one ton is one (evidently magical) leaf. That's it nothing else except the sticker on your door. So the airbag is nothing but a different type of spring which can actually support more weight then the one extra spring. NOTE TO WEIGHT POLICE...notice I am being very clear that this does not legally increase your payload, jut physically.
As for a smother ride, when I had them on my 05 F250 I found that they did help on dips and bridges but offered no improvement else ware. I find it hard to comprehend how stiffening your suspension can offer a smother ride unless you are constantly bottoming out. Most all who have posted after installing air bags report a smoother ride, with many claiming smoother even when empty. Go figure! Perhaps my butts just numb from to many years driving semi's
This statement is so true. Some guys don't get it. . Oh it's the yellow sticker they holler. Don't go over that or the police will put you in the pokey. They make camping so much fun
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #26
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I will jump in and add some engineering on the air bag smoothing out the ride. Springs have constant support (unless you have variable travel springs - usually coil type springs) so the truck depresses the spring based on the weight, then the truck rebounds with the total strength of the spring until the spring is at the end of it’s travel. The air bag increases the pressure inside the bag as the truck pushes down effectively increasing the support the bag is providing and decreases as the truck rebounds, meaning the lifting pressure / push from the air bag will decrease as the pressure decreases, which will give you a lessening upward push, making the rebounding motion easier or as most would say, smoother. And as you may have guessed, I have air bags which I air up to about 35-40 psi to level up the rig.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #27
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
I didn't want airbags so I replaced the single camper spring with a 5-leaf pack. While I was in there, I put a 2" add-a-leaf under the main spring pack and a coil spacer in the front to balance it out. Unloaded, the ride feels marginally stiffer. When loaded, ride is really smooth and the bouncing over uneven roads or bridge joints is gone.

First pic is before on the driver's side...second is after on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_161558.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	5151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_122806.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	5152  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #28
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
I will jump in and add some engineering on the air bag smoothing out the ride. Springs have constant support (unless you have variable travel springs - usually coil type springs) so the truck depresses the spring based on the weight, then the truck rebounds with the total strength of the spring until the spring is at the end of it’s travel. The air bag increases the pressure inside the bag as the truck pushes down effectively increasing the support the bag is providing and decreases as the truck rebounds, meaning the lifting pressure / push from the air bag will decrease as the pressure decreases, which will give you a lessening upward push, making the rebounding motion easier or as most would say, smoother. And as you may have guessed, I have air bags which I air up to about 35-40 psi to level up the rig.
I am certainly no engineer or suspension expert, but your idea that the air bags will rebound slower just doesn't seem to register in my mind. Air bags, like leaf springs are not progressive but linear, in essence if it takes 100lbs to compress one inch then it takes 200lbs to compress two inches. The rebound is therefore linear as well. The air bag will rebound just as fast as the steel spring, even faster if you have enough air in it to lift the truck higher then it was before you added air. So if you have a (the following numbers are arbitrary and I am using just for simplicity) 100 lb per inch leaf spring and add air to your bags the spring rate of the air bag is now in excess of 100 lbs, say 125lbs. Now while it will take an extra 25 lbs of force to compress your suspension one inch it will also have 25 more lbs of inertia to unload it. This is why we have shocks, and why quality shocks make a difference. Shocks have separate valves for rebound and compression which can slow down either the compression or rebound dictated by the manufactors design parimiters. Shocks on off road and racing vechicles usually have external adjustments so as to tailor the suspension for the desired effect. Now air ride suspension, bags without steel springs is a whole different conversation.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:45 AM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Just a fun musing here. if folks who advocate towing within manufacturer's spec are called Weight Police are those that advocate towing outside those limits called what Weight criminals? doesn't have a catchy ring to it. Need to work on it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #30
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Just a fun musing here. if folks who advocate towing within manufacturer's spec are called Weight Police are those that advocate towing outside those limits called what Weight criminals? doesn't have a catchy ring to it. Need to work on it.
Maybe weight outlaw LOL
Old 01-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #31
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Question

PSI measurements are to be taken with the load (5th wheel) ON the truck. Right?!? Then reduce pressure after unhooked to help ride. I know the real objective to to level out truck when towing but was just wondering.
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #32
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
That's typically how I do it. I also know that I will need 30 PSI when hooked up so it doesn't really hurt to air up before or after hooking up. Sometimes if the road is a little rough I'll bump it up to 35 PSI. Once I've landed and unhooked I reduce the PSI to 10.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #33
Kris & Al
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18907
Thanks Jeff/Sandi (no assumptions who answered)!!
Kris & Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #34
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon.al View Post
PSI measurements are to be taken with the load (5th wheel) ON the truck. Right?!? Then reduce pressure after unhooked to help ride. I know the real objective to to level out truck when towing but was just wondering.
When I got my air bags I just used the fitting I put in the bumper. What a pain. Had to drag out the compressor at every stop. After my first trip across the USA i spent the money and got the onboard compressor. Now I can see how much air is in the bags because there is a gauge in the cab. I run 60 loaded and 10 to 20 unloaded. I never run them without air.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #35
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I added airbags to my 2017 gmc 3500. Only reason when you drop trailer on it would raise the front of the truck. At night was all wats getting flashed at thinking I had hi beams on. Now I just add enough air to make it level again
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #36
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
When I had the air bags installed, I had the air valves installed in the cab beside the rear seat. Quik touch up with hand pump is all that is ever needed. Also keeps the valves clean and out of weather. No rust spots on bumper either.
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #37
Cushing872
Established Member

M.O.C. #24837
The Ailift System I had installed has a built in compressor installed on the driver side behind the headlight. I have a remote control to inflate or deflate. It is recommended to drive with no load at 5psi. With a load I’m usually set about 45-55 psi depending on some factors.

Again, I repeat that airbags do not increase your payload / towing limits.
Cushing872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #38
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Just traded in my F350 that had the Airlift 5000 and bought a new Ram3500 I installed the bags myself (about 1.5 hours easy to do) however this time I bought the Airlift 7500, for an extra $60 I recommend those they require less pressure thus a little softer ride.

As for airing up, on board compressor is a WAST of $$$, I bought a Hand Held Ryobi air compressor it take 10 seconds to pump up to max. This thing is also capable of filling your 5er tires above 100psi so nice small gadget to have for other thing like rafts and floats also.

Note: I also have a Vi Air compressor however it is a pain to get out and connect just for air bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cord.../dp/B07GP556HL

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I have that Ryobi air compressor and it works great.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #40
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Just traded in my F350 that had the Airlift 5000 and bought a new Ram3500 I installed the bags myself (about 1.5 hours easy to do) however this time I bought the Airlift 7500, for an extra $60 I recommend those they require less pressure thus a little softer ride.

As for airing up, on board compressor is a WAST of $$$, I bought a Hand Held Ryobi air compressor it take 10 seconds to pump up to max. This thing is also capable of filling your 5er tires above 100psi so nice small gadget to have for other thing like rafts and floats also.

Note: I also have a Vi Air compressor however it is a pain to get out and connect just for air bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cord.../dp/B07GP556HL

When i went on my first i went to 26 places. So you air up than get to your first camp ground and air down to drive around. Then you hook up again and air up. Then you get to the next spot and do it all over again. If you just camp and head to the lake and never air down to drive around than your air compressor is fine. If you travel like some of us do than that thing you got is a pain. Another thing is that compressor will not be of much use to air up a tire. Just look at how small the piston in there is. Then how many puffs of air do you think it will take to air up a tire. The higher the pressure the smaller the puffs of air is. I have tried to air up a tire and it took forever. Not to mention how mad it makes the guy camping next to you to listen to that thing pump air. In a emergency this may be ok I still carry my air compressor but its still under the seat. Mine has a 12 volt and a 110 volt cords.