Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Texas Towing License

Since there is one posted for California in this thread, below is information on Texas license requirements. My interpretation is that if your trailer weighs more than 10000 pounds, you need a class B license if you are a resident of Texas.

Here's the relevant info, excerpted from the DPS Driver’s License Handbook:

CLASSIFIED DRIVER LICENSE (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521)
The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:

* 1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

* 2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:
a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds;
b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the driver; and c. a vehicle included in Class C.

* 3. Class C driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:
a. a single unit vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that is not a Class A or B; and
b. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds, towing trailer not to exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds.

* 4. Class M driver license permits a person to drive a motorcycle or moped.

================
Now, are they going to stop and check you? Probably not. Pay particular attention to the Class C license statement of towing a trailer NOT TO EXCEED 10,000 pounds. That I believe is US ONES!

It may only make a difference if you were in an accident.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Wouldn't it be the class A? I don't think there are many Montana's, loaded, that weigh less than 10,000 pounds. Just curious.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Not a legaleeeeze, but that is the way I would intrepret the above, Ron..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with Ron and Phil. It says the towed vehicle has to be MORE than 10,000# if the combined weight is more than 26,001#. Seems an odd way to state a requirement.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
No big deal; just get the farm plate for the Tana. I saw a Hummer pulling one of those huge pleasure boats, and the Hummer had the farm tags.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yup! Class A! Isn't that what I meant?

Someone needs to tell me what a Farm to Market (FM) vehicle requirements are.

How many Texans have a Class A or CDL. I guess a CDL covers it. I have a CDL and the only bad thing about that is that it is very expensive when you get a ticket - no drivers ED. Just pay the Justice of the Peace and be on your way.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213

* 1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

* 2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:
a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds;
b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the driver; and c. a vehicle included in Class C.

* 3. Class C driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:
a. a single unit vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that is not a Class A or B; and
b. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds, towing trailer not to exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds.

I may be completely wrong but when I read class A it says combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more. Ours are less so does not apply.

Class B says a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds. Again it refers to a vehicle over 26000#, or any such vehicle (over 26000#) pulling a trailer. Pulling a trailer under 10000# seems to only apply if the tow vehicle is over 26000#

Very confusing but I think A or B apply only to tow vehicles over 26000#
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I was pulling a trailer for a firm that weighed 13000 pounds, I was told by DPS testing station that I needed as a minimum a class a or b, most likely class A. That was 20+ years ago. I opted for class A and eventually went to CDL. Yes, it was as confusing then as it is now. Since I live in an area that has an abundantly large contingent of DMV Testing Sites, I will stop in and ask the question again. Hope I get someone who knows the answers. I was hoping there would be someone on here.

It's just good information to know. (Ignorance of the law is no excuse)
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Someone needs to tell me what a Farm to Market (FM) vehicle requirements are.
Here are the requirements for farm tags in Texas. My comment was in jest, as the farm tags are widely abused. The cost is about half of the normal truck registration, and insurance rates are lower. I'm guilty of using them too, to an extent, as I always have one truck with farm tags. Now, I did use it on the place quite a bit, but it was used in ways that are not acceptable if you go by the book. I recently gave that truck to my granddaughter, and I think the farm tags are still on the truck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The key issue is the combined weight of the TV and trailer. If the combined weight is 26,001 lbs or less then a Class "C" license is all that is required by Texas licensure. If you need further clarification simply call the TDPS at any local office. The 10,000 lbs. issue does not arise if the combined weight is a non-issue.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #11
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I think the key is the weight rating of the towed vehicle. If it weighs more than 10 000 lbs, you must have a class A in Texas (and quite a few other states). Compare to class B which limits the towed vehicle to under 10 000 lbs.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
I just talked to the local DPS office. If the combined weight is under 26,001 pounds a class c license is sufficient. The individual weight of the rig is relevant only if the combined weight is over 26,001 pounds. Hope this helps.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Either the employees of TDPS are confused or lying to me or, if the combined weight is less than 26,001 lbs, a Class "C" license is sufficient. They seems quite competent and efficient when I contacted them. They answered without any hesitation.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This is the part that confuses me:
======================
=======================
In section b of the code, we fit in as having vehicles with a weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds. However, our trailers exceed 10,000 pounds.

I believe what y'all have heard, but I'm really not sure if those that spoke the words really know what they are saying. I'm going to go armed with the section of the law I posted and show them in black and white what it says and ask for clarification. I'm still confused.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Get a class A. It eliminates all questions about interpretation, which means you CYA, and it isn't any harder to get.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fellows, just call the TDPS office and settle the matter rather than speculate or quibble over verbiage. I specifically stated that my trailer weighed more than 10,000 lbs. The response was, "Does your combined weight exceed 26,001 lbs?" my answer was, "No." The second response, "Then you only need a Class "C" license." If one wishes to obtain a Class "A" or "B" license, fine - do it. However, it is not necessary according to Texas law as long as the combined weight is 26,001 or under and should not be fostered as such.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Please believe that I am not trying to be argumentative or to start a discussion that could leave to an argument. I'm just confused at the wording of the class C Texas license that specifically states in section "b" that the trailer DOES NOT exceed 10,000 pounds. Either the code is wrong, or TDPS is not understanding their own manual.

Did you quote that section to them? I think it is section 521 of the Texas Deparytment of Transportation Code.
=======================
Ok! Call me a doubting Thomas. I just called TDPS. I asked the question, "If a holder of a Texas drivers license is driving a vehicle with a combined weight of 26,001 pounds, and the trailer weighs over 10,000 pounds, what driver license class should they have?" I was put on hold for about 5 minutes and the answer was as stated, a class C.

HOWEVER
As I discussed further section "b" of the code, the officer stated that most people do not have trailers that weigh over 10,000 pounds. I said, "What about recreational vehicles?"

Oops! They stated that recreational vehicle owners holding a Texas Drivers License need to have a Class B (or Class A) Exempt license to drive a recreational vehicle. They said it was in the last section of the drivers manual. (I'm off to research it now)
Old 03-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I do not drive a recreational vehicle, I pull a recreational trailer. There is a difference in driving a "bus" and pulling a trailer. I will be interested in your outcome.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think the thing we are missing is the definition of a trailer. I think the 10K is for a towed trailer (tag along). I think our fifth wheels with the PIN hitch makes the difference. This is only my humble opinion.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John, In Texas, trailer is trailer regardless if TT, 5er, or Goose.
Stiles, yes, and the interpretation is for trailer, as stated in section b of the class c license.
There are 3 types of Texas CDL, Class A CDL, Class B CDL, and Class C CDL. Do not confuse the Class C CDL with the standard Texas Class C drivers license.

I went through this back in the middle to late eighties. The company I worked for had a 1 ton Chevy 454 gasser and a trailer that weighed 13000 pounds. I went round and round with DPS and it ended up I needed as a minimum a Class B Exempt drivers license. I opted for the Class A until we purchased a Merecedes with air brakes, then I went CDL as the combined sometimes ran close to the limit.

The R&R are confusing to say the leasts.