Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Winterizing questions

The owners manual for my Mountaineer says there are two ways to winterize. First is with anti-freeze in all the lines, the other way is to blow out the lines. I chose the second method and blew out all the lines including outside shower. I live in NE Georgia. It gets pretty cold here sometimes, so I was wondering if you folks felt comfortable with blowing out the lines instead of running anti-freeze thru the system. I did put pink stuff in the drains etc. Let me know how you feel about this method and whether you have had any problems, etc. Thanks.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
dennisl, that is what I do. I made up an adaptor to screw into the city water connection and I set the regulator on the compressor at 30 psi. But first, I drain the hot water heater and pull the 2 low point drains. Then, I hook up the compressor and go around to all the water is cleared at all of the faucets. After that, I pour antifreese down all of the drains, including the w/d hook up drain. I leave all of the faucets open and open the low point drains again.

Haven't had any problem yet and here in northern Indiana, we get 10 to 20 degrees below zero
at times for days at a time.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
X2 on the response from MIMF...almost exactly what we do, and we live in Minnesota.
The only place I use pink is in the traps and against all the seals to keep them happy. Fresh water lines are empty.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Same here, I have done it twice this year because of the cold weather. We will be heading south early Dec but until then we are set for freezing temperatures.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Used air to blow out my lines for years. Drain the low water points, water heater, holding tanks, fresh water tank. Then blow out the lines--leave the grey water valve open as you'll get water out of the lines. After all water is out, then I used windshield washer fluid that has the anti freeze in it and poured it in all the drains. Sometimes you can't find the RV antifreeze.
Never had a line freeze. My train of thought is, if they is no water in the line then how can it freeze and burst a line.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I used to just blow out the lines and it worked fine except for one year, which is why I now use the pink antifreeze in all lines and tanks. On a Jayco I had before the Montana I never put pink in the fresh water tank as it is a pain to flush. One year at the very bottom of that tank there must have been some water left as it froze and cracked the drain valve. $5.00 part no problem except to replace it the sofa, straps and electric had to come out to put the $5.00 part on. Now I put it in every line and tank. Over kill if you will, but it gives me peace of mind and with the winterizing kits already on the Monty it takes just minutes. I also agree with Ozzie that it doesn't hurt to keep the seals moist.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here I go again....

Actually there are 3 ways to winterize any rig.

#3- Point that sucker South and don't stop until the temps stay above freezing.

This method has been working for us for the past 5 years.

I know, I know I am a bad boy for rubbing this in everytime the subject comes up but iffn you open the door you can't expect me not to walk in.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Here I go again....

Actually there are 3 ways to winterize any rig.

#3- Point that sucker South and don't stop until the temps stay above freezing.

This method has been working for us for the past 5 years.

I know, I know I am a bad boy for rubbing this in everytime the subject comes up but iffn you open the door you can't expect me not to walk in.
Sounds like the best method of all - maybe I can try it someday!

Thanks for all the responses. Love this forum.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote