Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #21
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I've put a decal in the reat window of the Monty that says "The journey is the destination!!!!!"

Now all I have to do is believe it.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a sticker on the left rear bumper of the 3400RL. It says, "I'm retired! Go around me!"

The '05 F350 King Ranch will haul our 3400RL at whatever speed I want it to go. I use the CC to keep it at 65 or under on freeways. I try to avoid the freeways and take scenic routes when possible. Scenic routes seem to keep the speeds down. There is a courtesy in Texas when out on the country roads. If you are going slower than the traffic behind you, and it is safe to do so, ease over the shoulder line and give them line of site to pass you if it is safe. It makes me a more courteous driver. I also used to be type "A," but have graduated to a "B" or "C." DW has graduated to a type "A," but hasn't diven/towed the Hanna yet.

It's nice not having anyting to do and no schedule, but sometimes I wonder, "How in the world did I ever have time to work!"

Semper Fi
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #23
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I am still a Type A driver except when I hook on to the Montana then cruise control. Also when we travel without the Montana I use the CC, traffic tickets are expensive. As we both still work I like to get there so I usually drive to long each day.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #24
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The CC works for me. That and the fact that there is no longer any reason to hurry.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Thanks for all your input. At least I know what to appreciate along the way. I will try to apply your great advice. I'm sure once I don't have a schedule, I will probably be able to accept the fact that I no longer have to 'rush' anywhere. Except - I do have to be in Las Vegas by Feb 2nd. I should be leaving Illinois around the 13th of January. I think we can make it without speeding.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #26
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Besides just enjoying life a little more slowing down can save you money. First by not burning as much by going faster and secondly by obeying posted speed limits.

As we were coming through a nice little coastal Oregon town we were going at exactly the speed limit. A deer decided to "share" the highway with us. I was slow enough to come to a stop and allow the sharing to take place without any direct contact.

We got back up to speed and I see an officer sitting along side the road. Since I'm already at the correct speed limit I was OK. Around me comes this SUV type car. We are in a school zone and the lights were flashing! I don't know if you've noticed but in many states school zones are watched closely and the traffic generally adheres strictly to the posted limits. For some reason (type A, perhaps) the SUV HAD to get to wherever she was going very quickly. By the way the car tags indicated she was a local.

Sure enough about 20 seconds after she went around me the officer came roaring after her. Had her pulled over about 100 yards on down the road. Don't know if she got a ticket or not but he did stop her.

So if you're ever in a hurry behind a Montana going the speed limit feel free to exercise your type A driving skills. But don't be surprised if you end up helping pay for some State improvements!

Slow down and smell the flowers and even see the flowers. It is so much more relaxing.

Enjoy and travel safely.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 AM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Do like I did: Just do it! Let the others pass and back off if they slow down too close to the front of you. We travel at 57-58 mph and let the others go.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 AM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto what Orv says and HamRad too!!

Have a saying that seems to come out a lot while we are on the road, with or without Tana, when some one passes me real fast like:

"GET MY TICKET!! PLEASE!!"

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote