Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Satellite

Not sure which way to go wanted a roof mount but keystone said it could void warranty on the roof so do I go portable and mount to ladder or get a tripod unsure which way to go any suggestions or pics would be extremely appreciated also do’s and don’ts

Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Be aware that some dishes get power thru the coax and not a power cord. Those do not work thru the new gizmo (forget what it is called) that routes signal to TV's depending on something magical(LOL). Also, I sort of measured how long the coax is in the coach, and from the input in convenience center, up to the roof(I think), back the rear of my coach, down the side, forward again about 8 feet to the entertainment center. It was something like 35-40 feet. So if you add on a 25 foot coax to the dish, you are well over 50 feet which I think is the recommended distance. So I put an adapter in the wall by the TV and go straight about 6 ft to the TV.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A lot of the decision depends on what *YOU* plan to do.
  • What Satellite service do you have?
  • Are you willing to switch from your current provider?
  • Are you planning to use your home equipment (receiver) or acquire additional ones for the RV.
  • How many TVs will you be using at the same time off the satellite antenna?
  • Do you camp a lot under trees or are you usually in open area?
  • How much are you willing to pay for the service and equipmeent?
I prefer a rooftop antenna for easy of setup. But I also have a portable antenna for when the rooftop can't see the satellites.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Don’t have any equipment looking towards dish pay as you go . two TVs .plan on doing a lot of Boondocking Keystone does not recommend putting a roof satellite on the Monty
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
With Dish, you have more options. There are automatic dome antennas, portable antennas, and roof mount automatic antennas. Keystone not approving of roof mounts is almost laughable. The standard amount of crap up there (ACs, vents, plumbing vents, etc) already are possible leak sources. Adding a solid roof mount antenna just adds a few more lag bolts. If you are going to do a lot of boondocking then I assume there is solar in your future. How would you attach it anywhere else?

Anyway the automatic domes for Dish have pluses and minuses. They are portable and can be used anywhere there is an open sky for the 3 satellites Dish uses. They do have cable length restrictions. Some use power from the receiver which is defeated by the multiplexers Keystone uses. Other require a 12V power cable. They all have smaller antennas which are susceptible to rain, dew, and snow fade.

Using more than one TV at a time is also a consideration Depending on what receiver you get, you may be able to only support 1 TV. Other domes can support 2 TVs but the 2nd has to watch a channel that comes off the same satellite as the first (primary) TV. Then there is the need to record (DVR) shows. Some receivers do, some some don't and some have the capability for you to add an external hard drive which can be used (with Dish's assist) as a DVR.

The default satellite cabling in recent Montanas leaves a lot to be desired. KeyTV adds more uncertainty. You will be better off running your own cable and nor depending the coach stuff.

Many RVers like Dish with an automatic dome antenna and the Pay-As_you-Go plan which is pretty reasonable. Not having a home installation to consider makes this best for you. Hopefully some of them will recommend an antenna and receiver for you (I am a DirecTV user and not up to date on the available Dish equipment).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have Dish at home so we went with their mobile package for$7/month more. We have the Dish tailgater Pro King and a wally receiver. I don't use the RV cable connections, I just run the cable through the window and put pipe insulation in the window edge to keep out drafts. We have been very happy with this. It gives you the freedom to move the dish where you can get a signal if you have trees versus a fixed mount on the roof. Although I usually put it on the roof next to the ladder.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you routinely stay at parks with lots of trees then a portable antenna would be a good choice. I often have to use my satellite finder phone app to find a hole thru the trees for the antenna to see the satellite. A permanent mounted antenna would probably not do me much good.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bill,

If you decide to go Dish portable, recommend the Winegard X2 antenna which is more capable than the Tailgater. You do want to run dedicated cable vice using the cable in the rig.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
As long as the instructions are followed exactly when mounting a Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish on the roof, there will be no issues. We had ours installed by Camping World of Las Vegas early 2013, and there has never been any leaks or other issues with the install or the roof.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We have Dish with a Pathway X2 on their portable stand wired directly through the slide. It is a bit larger than the other antennas but with that comes better reception. A combination antenna system is a good idea. One on the roof for ease, one on the ground for trees.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we had the Winegard G2+ we had it installed on a ladder mount. Now both our rigs have Winegard Travelers and we've had no roof issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have 2 Tailgaters, one mounted and one portable. If one doesn’t work because it doesn’t have a clear sky maybe the other will.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #13
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
FWIW, an outside the box thought... ditch the dish, use the money to get a better data plan and stream whatever you want. Buy one of those OTA digital antennas for local if you absolutely have to have it. Firestick is only $45, you probably already have AMZN Prime and or NFLX.... so many apps usable on the Firestick.

Its what we did, sans the OTA antenna. More than meets out needs. Cost effective too. If we can't get internet, then we don't stream. There is always DVDs and massive portable hard drive with oodles of movies and TV series stored on it for those days if we absolutely must zone out. But that is rare.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:49 AM   #14
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Brian,

The west has a lot of forests, BLM and great open spaces without cell or WIFI. You run out of DVDs fairly quick.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:11 AM   #15
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
FWIW, an outside the box thought... ditch the dish, use the money to get a better data plan and stream whatever you want. Buy one of those OTA digital antennas for local if you absolutely have to have it. Firestick is only $45, you probably already have AMZN Prime and or NFLX.... so many apps usable on the Firestick.

Its what we did, sans the OTA antenna. More than meets out needs. Cost effective too. If we can't get internet, then we don't stream. There is always DVDs and massive portable hard drive with oodles of movies and TV series stored on it for those days if we absolutely must zone out. But that is rare.
This is good advice, IF you can get cell service. In a lot of boondocking places, that would be slim / poor to absolutely none. We couldn't cell service in Branson, MO when we were there last year.

BUT, with the newer Monty's, you already have a digital OTA antenna. In fact, even on our older 1994 with the manual raise up antenna, we were able to get some of the digital channels, as long as they were "closer". At the end of the day, no extra equipment should be needed to get OTA...
Old 02-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
This is good advice, IF you can get cell service. In a lot of boondocking places, that would be slim / poor to absolutely none. We couldn't cell service in Branson, MO when we were there last year.

BUT, with the newer Monty's, you already have a digital OTA antenna. In fact, even on our older 1994 with the manual raise up antenna, we were able to get some of the digital channels, as long as they were "closer". At the end of the day, no extra equipment should be needed to get OTA...

True. I boondock places where the radio wont work and you can forget about cellular service. My satellite TV will always work IF it can get a clear sky and that’s is why I have two tailgaters.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
True. I boondock places where the radio wont work and you can forget about cellular service. My satellite TV will always work IF it can get a clear sky and that’s is why I have two tailgaters.
Lynwood
True...

We don't have satellite TV anymore, but it is available anywhere you can see the sky. OTA is probably not available in some remote places...
Old 02-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post

BUT, with the newer Monty's, you already have a digital OTA antenna.........
Not just boondocking places. Although I don't take the Monte there, we have a hunting cabin a few miles south of Fredericksburg, TX. Cell service is weak to the point it is sometimes difficult to make a call. And because of the hills, OTA television cannot get major network stations from Austin and San Antonio, about 60 miles away. A few local market stations with 40-50 year old reruns, and Spanish only stations. But no news and weather.

And one of our favorite places is a large RV park few miles west of South Fork, CO. But again, weak cell service. And no OTA at all. That is typically a 2-3 week stay. And the DW is not going to be without her TV any where near that long.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #19
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I used the winegard pathwayx2 for a while, still have it. Problem with it was we run 3 tv's and I was having to undo the coax and reattach it every time I wanted to watch the outside tv.
Bought a dish 1000.2 and tripod and I have all 3 hooked up.

We don't travel a lot though, mainly stay in one place for a long time.

I'm sick of dish. I pay more money for dish and get less that any other bill I pay. Since we have wifi here at the resort in florida I'm starting to get into streaming.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #20
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post

I'm sick of dish. I pay more money for dish and get less that any other bill I pay. Since we have wifi here at the resort in florida I'm starting to get into streaming.
We made the switch at ho e a couple of years ago to streaming as well. Between internet and Dish, we saved about $100/month. At the time we even had a mobile data plan that we took with us. With all of the reseller faux pas out there, we now have fixed wireless. Still saving money too!!!