Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
3400 vs. 3475--pros, cons, and differences?

At the Life On Wheels conference that Jo-Anna and I attended last week, one of the instructors stressed the benefit of having a rig that allowed you to have full access to the kitchen even when the slides were in. As a threshhold question, I'd be interested in hearing about those instances in which people found it important, or even convenient, to be able to get access to their kitchens with the slides in.

My impression is that the 3400 allows access to the fridge and the sink (from the backside) when the slide is in but not to the rest of the kitchen, including the range and microwave (unless you want to go climbing over the counter). The recommendation in favor of full access to the kitchen caused me to start thinking about the 3475 as an alternative to the 3400 because the 3475 seems to allow full access to the kitchen.

However, I don't really know much about the 3475. We looked at one briefly last month at our local dealer's, but the unit had already been sold and is no longer around to inspect. At the time, we didn't look at it too closely because Jo was much more drawn to the kitchen layout in the 3400, particularly the greater counter space to work with. So I'd like to ask whether those who have 3475s, or those who looked at them in some depth, could share their thoughts on its pros and cons, particularly in comparision to the features and options of the 3400. As part of this discussion, I'd also like to know just how the 3475 differs from the 3400.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
David and Jo Anna
The only difference between the two, 3400 and 3475, is the counter/bar that extends out in the center of the 3400. The counter in the 3475 is fixed and extends out on one end into the center with the sink. Therefore it has three slides rather than four. It has no fixed bar in the center of the coach. Everything else is identical to the 3400. That is why we bought the 3475, as we wanted access to the kitchen when traveling. You can get past the extended counter, when closed, and can use the whole coach when closed in travel mode. Our coach was ordered from the factory with all of the conviences to including the hookups for washer/dryer. We moved our old splendid washer/dryer out of our old coach into the new one.
A lot of people like the 3400 and it is a good model, however we wanted access to the kitchen while traveling and the 3475 met that requirement. The weights and lengths are about the same. We added a satellite dish on top that made the coach 13'4" clearance vice the 12'9". This is our home away from home in the winter months. So you can say we are full timers part of the year.

Ken and Velda
Mindy (Our spoiled cocker spaniel)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana w/automatic satellite dome/dish
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and edge/attitude, 45 gal transfer flo tank, Air Lift air springs, and Doran tire pressure alert system.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Depends on how you travel. Many of us can get to the frig and leave snacks and utensils in another cupboard that we can get at if the kitchen is unavailable. For us, we frequently have a huge lunch at a truck stop, get out, stretch the ole legs, take the kids for a walk (the yorks), fuel up, and don't even get in Tana for lunch. For the days when we don't find a truck stop, we always have sandwich meat, crackers, fruit, all within grabbing distance, no need to open a slide. Again, depends on how you travel, I try to keep the travel days as simple as possible, yogurt, fruit, cereal, maybe a quiche for breakfast, HUGE lunch as described above, when possible, and if we eat that huge lunch, we go for simple fare for dinner, yogurt, fruit, cheese and crackers. In all the years we had the TT, whose kitchen was fully assessible, I think I made coffee on the stove top ONE time, and I no longer carry that perk coffee pot, so don't need to do that now. With a little grocery store creative purchases, we don't feel a need to cook or microwave or otherwise. (Now, if we EVER go to Alaska, we might have to punt and morf the plans, but this works for us, so far. You have to always say so far, this is RVing, camping, daily adjusting to the stuff life throws at cha.)

In short, I don't need full access to my kitchen for lunch.

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To me in would always be more convenient to have access to the kitchen area without having to open a slide and that is a positive feature of the 3475,It is a bit lighter than the 3400 but has nearly the same CC because of the heaver pin weight. Our first choice was the 3670 which was similar to the 3475 but the 3670 was discontinued.Everything is a trade off and compromise and Helen's tape measure said there was more counter space and storage in the 3400 so that is where we went.Since we will be long timers counter space and inside storgage area was a lock out item. We work around the not being able to get to the kitchen area by the use of the Selector valves. We set the main slide and the kitchen slide to open before we leave on a long trip and whenn we pull into a area for lunch we can open those slides only and have full access to the kitchen and dinning area.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I know the 3280 is not the 3400 or the 3475 but opening the slides for lunch was not a critical issue when purchasing our Montana. We usually pack a cooler for lunch and use the shelters at the rest areas. However, when we need to get to the fridge, like Rich, I shut off the bedroom slide so the other two slides open slightly. We are also looking at replacing the dinning table so even that won't be necessary. I guess what we really looked at was the rest of the 5er and decided the access to the fridge when the slides were closed was not an issue.

Steve&Patti 2004 model 3280
2002 Duramax 4x4 crew cab SB
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We were all set to buy the 3400 before the 3475 came out. As soon as we saw the 3475 we knew that was the one for us. As fulltimers, we wanted the full access to the kitchen and we liked the cabinet storage better on the 3475. We liked the open look (spacious)of the 3475 when the slide were all out too. Weight was also a factor and the 3475 was just enough lighter so that I could carry a little more "stuff" with us. After being on the road for over a year, we have found out that we have way too much "stuff" but we are still glad that we went with th 3475. For us, the access was more important than the counter space, but again, that was just our reasoning for choosing the 3475 over the 3400. I don't think we could have gone wrong with either.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Look at when you will spend the most time in your unit. It will be parked. Traveling days will be a lot less than parked days. We've had no problem traveling in our 3400. I echo a lot of what Carol says. If we can park at a restaurant, we'll eat lunch there. If not, we have picnic supplies on the shelf above the washer/dryer as well as bread and chips. We have sandwich meat and drinks in the frig. We use the end of the counter to prepare lumch and sit on the steps to eat if not at a rest stop. We don't usually cook lunch at home so we don't on the road either. We can use the restroom or lay on the bed for a quick nap. Not much else is needed when traveling. Just takes a little planning and thinking ahead. It is hard to compare the two units unless someone has had both.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
When on the road I usually pack my lunch into the fridge before I leave camp for the day. I have all the paper plates and things I need in my washer/dryer cabinet. I like to find a nice rest area or view point and have my lunch there. For me I wanted the extra counter space since I use the coach more at my seasonal site than I do traveling.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
As you can see, once again it comes down to a matter of personal preference. The info you got at Life on Wheels is one of many factors to be considered when choosing an rv. We insisted on access to stove, fridge and table as when we are on the road we like to find a nice spot for lunch and have a comfortable place to sit as we have a sandwich and maybe a bowl of soup and look out the window at the scenery, not the trucks. But that's just us.

"No matter where you go there you are"

Charlie & Nila
Fulltiming,formerly Hadley,MI
"presently in Hadley "
"2004" 3575RL
"2001" 2500HD, 8.1
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Just to add to the confusion, the 3500 has access to the kitchen with these exceptions, the pantry is unaccessable and there is only about a 12" clearance between the table and the counter, otherwise the table, stove, sink and refrigerator are fully accessable although a bit snug at the table by the refrig. I have no trouble getting past the counter end, a short, heavyset person will need a stool to get above the table. The living room is totally cut off. If we need something from the pantry, we get it out before closing the slide. We can sit at the table and look out the window as we eat with the slide closed.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
'05 3500RL, TrailAir Pinbox
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One of the problems with those kind of seminars, it seems to me, is they are the opinion and/or needs of one particular person. Those needs may not be the same for everyone.

In our 3295RK we can get to the fridge. We can get to one cabinet in which we stash paper plates, plastic utensils, paper cups, and any sandwich making gear we need. That and the potty are all we need to get to on the road.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #12
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
When changing from the 3295 to the 3400, access was one of my concerns; we don't stop often to sit and have lunch, but rather will dash in when stopped for fuel or to let the dogs out, and grab something to eat as we get back on the road; for the anticipated long trip to Indiana in a few weeks, we are restructuring a place or two to add the "picnic" items so that they are handy to get to without having to open a slide, and as stated by others before, refrigerator, potty; and maybe a change of clothes accessible is the basic need for us (we always seem to start out in jeans and jackets, and end up in shorts and tee shirts - or on occasion, vice/versa). We keep a 2 gallon jug of water in the storage compartment for the dogs water dish and for us if need be. We may grab the ingredients for sandwhiches or snacks and put them together while travelling as well, it really depends on time/mileage needed to travel in a given day as to how/when we stop to eat...if we stop for that long even.

Chaser
Mike & Evy Orlob
2006 3400/2004 Dodge R/3500
Retired, Rv'ers, Racefans (vroom vroom)
traveling with 4 "kids":2 cats - 2 dogs
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:49 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
When deciding on a motor home or a fifth wheel we discussed the importance of being able to get to the kitchen. We chose the Fifth Wheel route as we didn't feel it was that important to drive and eat at the same time. The next thing was picking out the Fifth Wheel, we looked at the 3400 and the 3475 both when first viewing the Montana's. Because of the counter space when parked we chose the 3400 over the 3475. If you are cooking there isn't a lot of counter space on the 3475. You will reclaim more now that Montana has the covers for the sinks but that still is a limited amount. I guess you could put a table at the end of the 3475 counter to give you additional counter space. If Montana was smart they would include a leaf, at the end of the counter, that folds down when traveling. This would give you some additional counter space.

I posted in another thread about sitting in the FW and trying to do a visual of your day in your Monty. You might want to take some pots and pans and cooking things into a 3475 and see if the lack of counter top space would be a problem. For me it was thus we own the 3400.

Isn't it fun making all of these decisions.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rereading my post, it sounds a bit surly. My apologies if it came across that way. The point I was tryhing to make is what Chaser said, it's really a personal thing as to what you need/want access to. There is no one right solution for everyone. But you are smart to pose the question and get a variety of replies.

Those are both excellent models. Whichever you get, I wish you many happy years with it.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve--I certainly had no problem with your post. I recognize that an instructor at LOW who offers an opinion--as opposed to factual info--is simply another person with an opinion, albeit one based on considerable RV experience. That's why I'm interested in getting feedback from this group, which also consists of many people with considerable RV experience.

Colleen--While I certainly have taken advantage of your advice to sit in a 3400 and try to get a feel for what it would be like to live there, I confess it never occurred to me to take a bunch of pots and pans down to the dealership with me to really get that "lived in" feeling. Did you really do that? LOL!!! In any event, the dealer no longer has a 3475 on the lot. I probably won't be able to find one anywhere nearby, so I'm looking forward to the Fall Rally as a opportunity to see one again. Anyone coming to the Rally with a 3475? And if so, can we look at the pots and pans in your kitchen cabinets? LOL!!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

I don't and did not think your first post was snarly, you only expressed what my first reaction was.

I think a seminar would be better serving to the students to point out that some may need or want to get into the kitchen, but that many others may not. To state that you need to get into the kitchen, at least the way it sounds like it was presented, I think is a total disservice to your clientel. They make different models, so we can all have what we want, what a boring world, if all models had total kitchen access while we were running. I mean, that would just about put MickeyDees and Burger King and the truck stops out of business.

For example, Charlie and Nila say they like to have a bowl of soup with their lunch while seated at their table, Al and I are not gonna eat soup for lunch while running down the hard road. I don't feel any need to get to the kitchen table, we eat at the end of the counter, standing, cause myyyyy, it feels good to stand for a while, I am gonna be sitting in Big Butt all day, standing is a good thing. Two different families, two different sets of needs.

Anyway, I don't think you were snarly, this is another one of those things that we all do a bit differently, and what you have to do is decide how you think you will "lunch" while on the road. We have the selectors to move out the kitchen slide, and have yet to use it, it is there, if we want to, we can, we just have not done so. Doesn't mean we won't in the future.

But, I agree, that the presenters at this seminar don't sound like they presented a equal set of situations, they should have, IMHO, given a better over all view and not their personal one. you know, different strokes, etc etc etc.

Carol

ON EDIT, while I was typing this David posted, me thinks he has got it!!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
To add on to what Carol has said, we picked up a Full Timing book for a quarter at a garage sale. This guy stated fifth wheels were not good and washer/dryer combos were not good and be sure and buy your sheets at a camping supply store because others will not fit and on and on of things we totally disagree with. This was his opinion only but he was putting it out like it was gospel.
Steve, I did not think your reply was snarly. Honest, yes, snarly, no.
Happy trails.......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue, what was the publication date on that full timing book?? 1952??

Carol

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #19
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Can only echo the personal preference comments. We have a 3255RL which is a model Keystone no longer makes. It is an open floor plan, 2 slides, and we can get to all portions of the coach with the slides in. The model you choose depends on what you will be doing - full timing, long timing, part timing, or short trips - that would be the bottom line for us, and what compromises you are willing to make. We have taken the time in the mornings before setting out to pack lunch in a cooler so we don't even need to enter the Montana unless we need to use the loo. We've stopped and had lunch in the coach, and we've stopped and parked and ate at restaurants. As Sue and some others pointed out, they adapt what they do to their model and preferences.
Driftwoodgal: Our 3255 has a counter extension, don't know why it's not standard, but I think you can buy them from RV suppliers, and I know of one person who saw ours on show and tell and made one for their 2955.
David: You are wise to get your ducks in a row before deciding. You will get a chance at the rally to see different models and what people have done with them to make them suit their lifestyle. No model is going to be perfect and you have to go with your comfort level and what will be right for you.

Virgil and Karen
2000 3255RL
2006 F350 PSD 4x4
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Virgil and Karen

Sure is hard to pass up a interesting looking restaurant someplace new in your travels, eh?? For Al that is one of the joys of life, eatting at good eateries, he has a weakness for BBQ and Mexican! Yes, we have done U turns when he spies an interesting looking place, U turns WITH Tana, if at all possible! (Marble Falls comes to mind, that one was not possible, truth is, I don't think he was hungry enough! HA HA)

Bon appetite! (or GOOD EATING!, if I spelled that wrong)

Carol