Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
Pet Palace

We have just returned from 5 months in AZ and CA and generally speaking we had a pretty good window. You might ask what would spoil our peace and tranquility in four different
parks that we were in. Yes, you guess it. Dogs that barked at everything that moved in the vicinity because the owners had left one or more of them in their rig while they were gone
for hours. In Yuma we spent a month next to a couple we nick named Yip and Yap. Our
neighbours used to go to Happy Hour every day, left their dogs with door open and they barked at everything in sight. After 3 days of constant headaches, I formally complained to
the management twice. So after that the dogs didn't bark quite so often, but now the
neighbours hate us. Why is some people think their dogs are cute and just want to lick
me to death. I have marks on my body from dogs like this. I sure don't think your litttle
Rover or Trixie is cute when you let them out of the rig in the morning without tending them cause you are too lazy, and they scoot over and crap in my yard.
Understand please that we are not suggesting that campgrounds not allow any dogs in, we are simply saying that dogs should be well mannered and quiet. If I am trying to break into your rig then Rover has a right to bark. When I open my door or walk on the gravel and he or she barks for 3 hours cause you are away, that is not right.
After camping all over North America in 40 different states and 10 Canadian provinces, we have come to the conclusion there really aren't any stupid dogs out there, just their owners. Lastly when you are out walking Rover or Trixie and they assume "the position" to do their business, it is not okay for you to turn your head and look the other way. The dog
isn't going to clean up after it's self, and just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there. It won't go away unless someone else picks it up. This should also be the
ruling out in the desert because a lot of us walk around out there.
Now you are probably going to say, "this guy is crazy, a real pet hater". We have owned
fish, gerbils, guinea pigs, cats, dogs and at one time we even had chickens. When we decided to become RVing, we decided it would be unfair to animals to leave them penned
up in the restricted area of an RV while we were out doing touristy things.
I liked it years ago when we registering when we simply asked for power, water and sewer, and maybe cable. Now we have to ask for a dog free zone.

klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Klash,
Of course there are irresponsible pet owners out there in RV land. We try to be good owners but sometimes we, too, are guilty of one or more of the rules you outlined. But we really do try to be good pet owners. If we leave them alone for any length of time we ask the neighbors if our little guys barked. We have honest neighbors and get an honest reply. If we do have barkers then we take them the next time we go out. We want folks to have a good time with our guys.

And many or most parks have a section for folks who don't want to be around animals. Some parks go so far as to dictate where your dog can walk. Some roads are off limit to pets.

If you don't want to be "mauled" by some dog trying to make friends with you then you should follow the basic rules of no eye contact, No touching the dog and no talking to the dog. These actions should prevent you from any contact with the animal.

I find that most of the MOC folks we camp with are very responsible pet owners and control their pets at all times.

Of course we're always going to run into some folks who simply can't or won't take care of their animals. That's too bad but it is simply a fact of life.

Travel safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I've been tempted to record the barking dogs and play it back when the owners are at home. Just tempted, though.

Your choices are to act submissive or establish yourself as the pack leader. Submissive is safer.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There are creeps all over the world. Some of those creeps don't take care of their dogs, some don't take care of their kids (allowing them to go to the playground before 7 AM local time or play basket ball under the street lights at 11:30 PM).

Our 5 months out we had both of those kids incidents (and YA, we were parked by the playground which remained basiclly unused for the first 4 months we were there). ohhh, and that street light, it was 10 feet from our bedroom slide. We also had the howling dog locked in the rig incident, lucky for us, they only stayed for a few days.

We also had the beeping of the smoke alarm 24/7/35 days. Unit was unoccupied and the batteries ran out. We could hear it IN our rig, so you can imagine how loud it was in the quiet of the night when my skittish yorks went out potty. Ya, Mr. Gallagher would bark back, and that is annoying to his mother too, especially at 3 AM. After 35 days, we found out that the campground MIGHT have keys for the unit, and sweetly complained to the office, who called the owner, got permission to go in and disconnect something or replace the batteries or something to stop that *&%# beeping.

Lets face it, it is sad, but true, many people, campers or not, don't believe the rules apply to them. They think crating of their beloved pets is cruel (NOT SO!).

Not me, nope, my pet (child, etc) is perfect. ME ME ME ME ME ME

This ME ME ME is surely much more irritating to us when we are living 10 feet from our neighbors.

Now, lets not get me started on leash/no leash. That tirade may last into next year. SIGHHH

I am very sorry you had a bad experience with Yip and Yap, such an experience might convince me to get double pane windows on my next unit. SIGHHHHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

I've been tempted to record the barking dogs and play it back when the owners are at home. Just tempted, though.

Your choices are to act submissive or establish yourself as the pack leader. Submissive is safer.

Bob
Great idea!! May I suggest loud speakers at 3:00 am?

We are pet owners too, three dachshunds as a matter of fact, and do everything in our power to make sure no one 'suffers' from them. However it is easy to get them barking, so if you'd like to borrow them sometime for a little 'education and payback' let us know.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We are pet owners also and usually stay in the pet section of the parks we frequent. Although I have never been around dogs that constantly bark, I have been startled by walking in the park and having a vicious dog barking in the window of a motor home, scares the bee jee bees out of me when that happens. We did have our dog attacked by a loose dog in a park in Boston. It bit thru her ear and had a puncture wound on the neck. Owners of dog paid for the vet bills, left the park immediately and had their dog put down as it had been getting more and more aggressive. I was sorry to hear that, but what if it had attacked a child??? I will not have 1) an aggressive dog and 2) a barker. I have had dogs since my youth, have gotten rid of two for #1, that I can remember. Dogs are to be enjoyed, not feared, unless, of course, you own a junkyard or feel the need for a guard dog. There are plenty of breeds to fit your desires.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Our 6 year old beagle Skippy is a rescue dog that we have had for 2 1/2 years. When we are at the stick house and go out for a few hours there is no problem...no barking, etc. BUT, when we are at a campground and we leave him alone in the "Casa" he tears the door apart and barks frantically. We have purchased a crate and it has been sitting in the living room for months. We give him treats in it and he thinks of it as a happy place. We haven't locked him in it yet. We plan on using it when we go for our 5 month trip next month. We are hoping he will be OK in it so we can do some sight seeing. We will start training him to stay in it when we go out by going out for a few minutes at a time. I don't want hin barking the whole time we are out for his sake as well as our neighbors. Wish us luck!!!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

Our 6 year old beagle Skippy is a rescue dog that we have had for 2 1/2 years. When we are at the stick house and go out for a few hours there is no problem...no barking, etc. BUT, when we are at a campground and we leave him alone in the "Casa" he tears the door apart and barks frantically. We have purchased a crate and it has been sitting in the living room for months. We give him treats in it and he thinks of it as a happy place. We haven't locked him in it yet. We plan on using it when we go for our 5 month trip next month. We are hoping he will be OK in it so we can do some sight seeing. We will start training him to stay in it when we go out by going out for a few minutes at a time. I don't want hin barking the whole time we are out for his sake as well as our neighbors. Wish us luck!!!
Hi Joanie and Dave,

I'm glad you are crate training Skippy. All of ours think their crates are their own personal spaces. I might suggest that you put your beagle in the crate with the door closed to feed him his dinner. That way, it becomes a routine. Also, leave him inside, door closed while you are home for an hour or so. Then he doesn't think that the crate means you are leaving. We always put toys inside, a blanket, a water dish and leave the radio on for them when we leave. Most of the time, this is fine for them. It really is good if you complete the training at home and make it normal behavior for him.

We haven't started rving yet as we don't have our 3400 or truck yet but when we do, we will make the transistion carefully. I also think that taking them for a nice walk before you leave is a good idea. I hate barking dogs myself and don't want mine to be guilty!

Good luck with Skippy's training.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I hate barking dogs too!! The first time we left him alone we used our cellphones like baby monitors by leaving one and taking the other with us and staying connected. He barked for a few minutes and stopped. He stopped because he was too busy tearing the door screen apart to bark!! DH repaired the screen and put one of those metal grated pet guards over the screen (the type you see on stick house screen doors). He actually ripped that off the frame and tore up the screen again!! He wants to be with us so badly and even though he has gone on many trips in the Monty he still gets frantic when we leave. I am hoping with the crate and having the 2 cats in with him he will learn to accept our leaving. Like I said, he is fine in the stick house, but not the Monty. Thanks for the advice on feeding him in the crate...we will start tomorrow!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
I would say that Skippy sure has separation anxiety but it is interesting that he only shows it when in the Monty. Here are a few articles on the problem that might give you even more insight and some additional ideas on how to help him through this. I really do think you need to solve the crate issue soon and then use it in the Monty. Be sure your crate is extra sturdy so he can't chew his way out of that! Also, don't expect instant success with it. It is a change in his routine and he might argue with you about it. Just be patient but remember that you are in charge and he isn't going to win. Even if he misses a meal or two, it won't hurt him and it may just help in the long run.
Good luck!
http://www.metpet.com/Reference/Dogs...ty_in_dogs.htm
http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/1/separa...w-to-treat-it/
http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...y-in-dogs.html
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Ok..we have started today feeding him in the crate and locking him for a few minutes. He was a rescue animal and I think it took him a long time to understand that he was finally inn a forever home. The one thing different between leaving him at home and leaving him in the Monty is that he never had his 2 kitty sisters with him in the Monty. When we start to travel they will be with him. Yes, we got a wire crate so he can't destroy that trying to get out. We are going away for 2 nights next week to try and get the cats used to riding in the Monty and Skippy getting used to the crate. thanks for all the caring advice. I will let you know how we make out
Old 04-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Good luck on your weekend! I hope things start to smooth out for Skippy. Keep us posted.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Carol Bordwell
Established Member

M.O.C. #10535
We are going to try an ultra sonic pet trainer that will be triggered by barking while we are out golfing, etc. We have successfully used a hand held unit from Invisible Fence Company. As you can tell we can't stand barking dogs, even our miss precious! )))
Carol Bordwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Update on Skippy....we are 3 months into the 5 month trip. We stayed much longer in our home state visiting family and Skippy had the good fortune of being able to "run free" at my SIL's factory. He hasn't taken to the crate very well. We need to just put him in it and leave. I don't know if he will bark or not, but the only way to find out is to do it!!! DH is a sucker for that little sad face!!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Always something....in the end, we will keep our dog as long as we can. In the vast majority of cases where a dog has been misbehaving, we have observed owners who seemed to care less and certainly did nothing to correct their pet. Maybe there should be a campground section for people who do not know how to control their pets...better yet, forbid them from having pets.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 AM   #16
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Our biggest issue is dogs off leash; our cats are leash trained and we take them for walks or often sit outside with them under the awning. Dogs and cats do not mix well and when rover decides to come for a visit it is not safe for either party; the cat due to the dog and the dog due to me .
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
success with Skippy!!! He is able to stay in the Casa for several hours without damage or barking!!! Well, almost no damage. He got up on the recliner and scratched a small hole in the day/night shade. I didn't kill him....I did have to be restrained though. It was our fault because we know he likes to get on chairs and look out the window to wait for us. The crate did not work out because he never thought of it as his. We use it for the cats when we are moving to keep them safe. We know he doesn't bark because we asked our neighbors to listen for him. Thanks for the advice and good wishes.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
We have two small poodles that always go with us.

They are usually good when left alone ( except two years ago we had a terrible time, but figured out what was wrong and we took care of it).

There are a couple important things we must do before leaving the dogs alone....first we make sure that we are in our campsite for many hours or half a day. This helps them get familiar with the surroundings.

The other things we do, is I always keep raw chew bones (with the bone marrow inside) in the fridge (or freezer) and the dogs get this as a special treat while we are gone. Once we get back the bones are put away.

When leaving, we turn on the radio and close all the blinds with the exception of one "peek a boo" window. We discovered they like to look out and see , but we do not leave all the blinds open. I feel this is too stimulating for them.

The last thing we do, is if we get to know our neighbors in the campground, we always give out our cell phone number. We have never been called while being away. We will also inquire when we return asking if the dogs barked.

The one bad time we had was two years ago when we went to the Lake Siskiyou Rally....my girls hoot and hollered so much. It was embarrassing and nerve racking as we could not even leave the trailer. On this trip we were three hours away from home base, so my daughter drove and meet us at the Rally, then took the dogs home the next day.....We did discover that Motorcycles(a large group) continually riding through the park (every 15 minutes) is what was setting my dogs off. My husband has a Motorcycle, so they kept thinking he was riding up.

I only mention the motorcycles because sometimes you need to look at your surroundings and see if there is something bothering them (as another dog barking, kids playing outside the trailer, etc...) and decide if this is going to be a problem.

klash- I agree with you nobody should leave their dog behind to bother others while they are gone. I feel that if the dog barks while people are gone, it is OK to nicely mention to them that their dog was not happy while they were gone. I would want someone to tell me. If we know then we will not leave them again on that trip....and if the people do not take your gentle heads up and continue to leave a barking dog, then by all means it needs to reported.

HamRad-I agree with you, that most RV'ers are caring and responsible. And yes it is a fact....dogs will go with their owners( and should). You are right that if you are a person that does not want to be bothered by a dog, don't make eye contact...I have to do this with cats as I have a cat allergy. So I have to use this method often....the cat will leave me alone.

RV'ers, dogs, generators, noisy campers, it will always be something to talk about won't it....

I am glad we have the MOC site where we can all express our opinions and learn from one another.

So MOC on!

Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
All is still well with leaving Skippy. He is never happy to be away from Daddy but he is getting better. Great news for our kitties...they both now are using harnesses and going outside on leashes. Looks like the KittyWalk I purchased and used once is up for sale!!