Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
AGP440

My laptop just started hanging up on restart at the system 32\drivers\agp440.sys So far I have been lucky enough to get my computer started. I searched Microsofts website and there was some info however I have not been able to get their fix to work. So what have real people done to fix this.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

My laptop just started hanging up on restart at the system 32\drivers\agp440.sys So far I have been lucky enough to get my computer started. I searched Microsofts website and there was some info however I have not been able to get their fix to work. So what have real people done to fix this.
I found this solution if you want to give it a try:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1155426459

Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Find out who manufactured the motherboard and get the AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) drivers from their website.

If that doesn't work find out what kind of video card is in the AGP slot and install new drivers from their website.

If I were a guessing man I'd guess that you have an Intel BX440 based motherboard, (Pretty old one). But without cracking the case open it is just a guess.

Or you could do a repair install of your OS...
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi trukdoc...Microsoft recommends this;

Problems when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 324764
Last Review : January 19, 2006
Revision : 2.0
This article was previously published under Q324764
SYMPTOMS
When you install Windows XP, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
• When you restart your computer, you may be prompted to use the Last Known Good configuration. When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang) during the restart, and each time you restart thereafter.
• You may be prompted to run ScanDisk. When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang). If you do not run ScanDisk, your computer may start correctly. However you are prompted to run ScanDisk every time you start your computer, and if you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang).
• When you restart your computer, your computer may stop responding (hang).
• If you try to restart your computer in Safe mode, your computer may stop responding (hang) when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service.

Back to the top
CAUSE
This issue may occur if Windows XP tries to use an incompatible motherboard chipset video driver during startup.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps to disable the Agp440.sys service.

Important You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure. If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator. After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled, and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.
1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify the BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER. You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
7. Press ESC.
8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
12. Log on to your computer.
Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work. However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers. Update your motherboard chipset video drivers periodically. To do so, visit your computer manufacturer's Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter.

Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
For more information about a related topic, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307654 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:51 AM   #5
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I have resolved the problem by removing the hard drive and using an USB enclosure copied my data to an external storage HD. I run the reinstall CD and then removed the clutter that accumulates over years of use and virtually impossible to get out. Mostly because it is embedded trash that does not show up in the root directory or have a uninstall program. I then reinstalled my data and rerun my program software and presto I have a new laptop.
Thanks for the help.
Rick
Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
trukdoc, Glad your back up and running
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Thanks!!! Hate it when I do not have the laptop.