Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Staying In Cold Temps

Last year we stayed in central Illinois until late December and experienced some early brutal temperatures. Our 2008 Montana handled 20-30 degree temps very well except for the black tank gate valve freezing up.

As a full timer I learned real quick that by just putting about 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze down the toilet after emptying the black tank kept the gate valve from freezing no matter how low the temps got. I plan on doing the same thing this year with our new unit. I think it is cheap insurance to keep the valve from freezing.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this in addition to the other things I've learned to put down the black tank, for example, deodorizer? I'm guessing that the 1/2 gallon of antifreeze does not interact with the deodorant and water already used?

What order do you pour your contents? For example, I fill the toilet bowl with about one gallon of water, put the deodorizer in it, then flush into the tank. I even follow that with another gallon of bowl water. When would one put in the RV antifreeze? Even though I live in Southern California where it's not supposed to get that cold, it's not unusual to get below 32 degrees in some places we've been and I don't want any problems and I like this tip. I'm asking questions for emptying the tank, but I'm guessing just having the RV antifreeze should prevent freezing even as the tank is filled.

What about the other tanks (Grey, Galley)? Is RV antifreeze okay to pour down the sink to prevent them from freezing? When it's that cold I don't keep the fresh water tank filled, in fact, I used to carry water in the fresh tank in case of a needed stop enroute, but I no longer do this since we find ourselves being able to take breaks along our route and we don't need to haul the extra weight of any fresh water in our rig. I'm sure a completely empty fresh water tank is probably not the best way to operate, but not having the weight and water to be worried about is okay with me. Anyone else's thoughts? I do know how to clean the fresh water tank if I ever need to use it, but so far, in eight years, we've not used it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In the old days when we didn't go south, our furnace and tank heaters took care of our tanks and we never did have a problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
There is a considerable difference in what one should do if you are storing your unit as opposed to living in it in cold weather.

My procedure is to drain the hot water tank, put the switch in the winterize position and pump water through every tap in the system, including the outside shower and low point drains, this will also put some anti-freeze into the traps and tanks, it is important to have anti-freeze in the traps or they will freeze and break since you cannot take that water out.

The pump will be winterized during the process and all lines will be filled with the exception of the black water flush and the fresh water fill from the convenience center. I have never worried about the black water flush since it is at a high point and water either drains into the tank or back out the fill fitting, there should be no water in that line unless there is a low point in it's plumbing.

I do not put anti-freeze in the fresh water tank as it will leave a taste which, well is "distasteful". I open the tank drain and leave it open during the time it is stored.

My black water tank already has deodorant in it because I do that every time I empty it as well as adding some water and a tank conditioner.

The anti-freeze I use is rated at -50C, so after all lines have been pumped full, I pour anti-freeze down each sink sufficient to fill the traps and some additional to prevent what water remains in the tanks and the valve from freezing.

While it is nice to have the colored lines to indicate hot or cold, I found on my previous SOB the clear lines gave me a visual way of inspecting each line from the pump.

The amount of anti-freeze you require will depend on how cold you expect the weather to be, we seldom experience temperatures below 0 degrees F and I use just over 2 gal to winterize my 3402RL, more might be required to make sure the residual water in any tanks has a strong enough mix to prevent freezing at colder temperatures.

I have another month before I need to worry about winterizing, it is inexpensive insurance against freezing.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
After dumping and rinsing my black tank I add the RV antifreeze, my black tank additive, and a gallon or two of water. From my experience last year the antifreeze, even though diluted, is still enough to keep that gate valve from freezing. Another camper here in a new SOB told me his 39' unit had heat blankets around his 3 tanks that he turned on to keep his from freezing. A week after my black gate valve froze his did also. He started using the RV antifreeze in the toilet after that.

I only need to prepare my unit for about one month of cold nighttime temps. We are full time so I can't just winterize it before taking off for Florida. We start by putting on our heated fresh water hose and plugging it in. We don't use water out of our fresh water tank but I will drain it, put a gallon of RV antifreeze in it and add about 5 gallons of water. I stuff insulation around the bottom of the convenience center hole where the water hose enters, and run a ceramic heater in the basement. The day we leave I unhook my city water connection, turn my water pump on, and run RV treated water through the lines. If the temps are at, or below freezing, during the first day on the road I keep the furnace on 60 degrees while traveling. After that first day we are usually far enough south and out of freeze danger.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Last year, we were in Missouri late, until early December, and experienced temps as low as 9 degrees, and had nothing freeze. We of course are full time and had the heat on, 65 to 68 degrees on the thermostat, and during the coldest days were going through a 7 gallon tank of propane in two days, but we were comfortable and so was the Montana. All we use in the black tank is deodorizer and Calgon, and occasionally a drain valve lubricant.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cold???????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Last winter we had temps get down to minus 10 degrees and had no issues. We skirted the bottom and filmed the windows and were comfortable. We averaged a 100 lb propane tank every 2 to 3 weeks at the coldest.

Here are some pics of our winter wonderland:

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/myb.../Winter%202014

Montana does a good job with the units for winter insulation and that is why we bought another one!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #9
jpsilcox

M.O.C. #18092
Hello! I took a look at your winter wonderland pics. Very cool (literally)! I'm planning a ski trip to Breckenridge this February and expect to have cold temps. I recently purchased a 2006 3600re and love it so far! I just hoped you'd be able to offer some advice on any issues you ran into in the cold weather. I'm thinking about renting a propane tank as I've seen a lot of people do this for long stays. Any other advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

Jimmy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

Last winter we had temps get down to minus 10 degrees and had no issues. We skirted the bottom and filmed the windows and were comfortable. We averaged a 100 lb propane tank every 2 to 3 weeks at the coldest.

Here are some pics of our winter wonderland:

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/myb.../Winter%202014

Montana does a good job with the units for winter insulation and that is why we bought another one!
jpsilcox is offline   Reply With Quote