Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
MoRryde steps

Is it just me, or does anyone else hate these 1 piece fold up MoRryde steps? My reasons are this. 1st off, you can not stop in a rest area/ truck stop and safely leave them folded out into the next parking spot without someone running over them. If You would spend the night inside while at the truck stop, and somehow you folded them up, what do you do if someone parks next to you while you are sleeping? 2nd, when we do stop along a road or a pull off area, the steps will never reach the ground if you are parked on the side of a paved road. The ground is always lower than the pavement. The steps bottom out and will damage the side of the Monty unless you block them up.The adjustable legs are useless. 3rd, all the dirt, sand,whatever you can think of, falls out of all the hiding spots and messes up the floor inside. I'm a dirt freak. I can't go in until the floor is wiped up. 4th reason is when I park inside my garage, I must be farther than 4 feet from the wall or I can't get the steps down, due to them hitting the wall. Space indoors is precious stuff. Then 5th, there is always the thought in the back of my mind, that for whatever reason the leveling jacks would settle/ fail,That the steps would jam the door. Hopefully not while I'm sleeping inside.
All I want is my folding outside steps back. They don't ever touch the ground and cause issues with uneven areas when we stop.I can fold them out part way and still get inside.

I can't be the only one who wishes for old technology folding steps. Or maybe something even better that hasn't been invented yet

2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Glowsteps
https://youtu.be/akt0H2bLkrU
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy E View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else hate these 1 piece fold up MoRryde steps? My reasons are this. 1st off, you can not stop in a rest area/ truck stop and safely leave them folded out into the next parking spot without someone running over them. If You would spend the night inside while at the truck stop, and somehow you folded them up, what do you do if someone parks next to you while you are sleeping? 2nd, when we do stop along a road or a pull off area, the steps will never reach the ground if you are parked on the side of a paved road. The ground is always lower than the pavement. The steps bottom out and will damage the side of the Monty unless you block them up.The adjustable legs are useless. 3rd, all the dirt, sand,whatever you can think of, falls out of all the hiding spots and messes up the floor inside. I'm a dirt freak. I can't go in until the floor is wiped up. 4th reason is when I park inside my garage, I must be farther than 4 feet from the wall or I can't get the steps down, due to them hitting the wall. Space indoors is precious stuff. Then 5th, there is always the thought in the back of my mind, that for whatever reason the leveling jacks would settle/ fail,That the steps would jam the door. Hopefully not while I'm sleeping inside.
All I want is my folding outside steps back. They don't ever touch the ground and cause issues with uneven areas when we stop.I can fold them out part way and still get inside.

I can't be the only one who wishes for old technology folding steps. Or maybe something even better that hasn't been invented yet
All valid points. You can always switch the morryde out for glowsteps. We have two doors one with morryde steps and the other with glowsteps for just such an instance as you have mentioned.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I've stopped at a gas station and pulled mine out just to use the restroom really quick. I don't know your age or physical limitations, but the bottom adjustment legs literally only take a few seconds to adjust. As for the dirt on the steps, I went with the step covers that wrap around the stairs. I just keep a small broom handy to sweep them off to keep any dirt or dog hair from coming in or i'll use the built in vacuum to clean them off. The Mor Ryde steps just seem a whole lot sturdier than the other fold out ones, and easier for my dog to enter the RV.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
WOW! That’s exactly what I need. Thanks for the info. Maybe I can then sell my MoRryde steps to someone who has a need for them.
This is why I love reading things on the MOC. Great information.
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Don't know if this will help you but I kept my folding steps and made my own stabilization. Look through the presentation I made a while back. This works great for us and didn't cost much at all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Folding Steps Stabilizaiona.pdf (2.04 MB, 398 views)
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We have the glow steps and love them. They are very adjustable to almost any terrain.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We really like the MorRyde steps - they are so much more stable than the old style. Different strokes.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Ours is the first camper with these type of steps. I wasn't sure what to expect out of them, but being adaptable is what camping is really all about, isn't it? If everything was "perfect", there really would be no joy or sense of self-accomplishment overcoming problems and situations. With that said, I've always been an improviser, adapter, and somehow make any situation work for something positive. These steps were just another one of those "things" I had to figure out how to use and use with success.

Here are some things that took some time to figure out, make safer, and improvise on.

First, I added reflective red and white tape to the steps, on both sides. Now my fifth wheel has a door on both sides, and the bathroom is accessed from the street side. That means, if stopped along the side of the road, it's REAL important the steps are clearly marked. So, I also added reflective tape to each of the slide outs also, both directions. The result is pretty impressive.

The second thing I did was add a driveway end reflector. Anything to get attention that something is protruding beyond the 8 foot wide trailer:

The other thing I did was to purchase longer foot extensions. I ordered them from MorRyde directly. They are longer than the standard ones that came from the factory. If the side slope is beyond reach, just pull out the shorter ones and insert the longer ones.

But then (in Indiana State Parks), sometimes the sites are so weird, even the extensions don't reach. So I came up with this idea (below). Granted, no matter what the step on the trailer, none of them would reach the ground. In this case, I used the extensions to support the step only, so it wouldn't dangle in the air, causing stress on the door threshold. It's still sturdy enough to stand on .... (IF) you can reach that first step!

The last thing we did was to put a carpet running on the steps and attached each step with zip ties (sorry, no photo of that). We have 2 new puppies and the open space between the steps scares them. So I put the carpet runner on the steps to make the open space closed. The dogs go up and down just fine now. Plus, the carpet catches the dirt.

And as always, when preparing to move the trailer, steps are put up, we always sweep the steps. We use a small paint brush to sweep any dirt that catches under the threshold plate, as we have no carpeting, and we always sweep the floor when breaking camp.

For us, this works. We've never had a problem being able to open the door and drop the steps because we are too close to another object, wall, or vehicle. Because of the red and white reflective tape, i think that gets other drivers attention, and with the red and white reflective tape on the slide-outs, it gets attention.

Maybe incorporating one or two of these ideas might make the steps a little more tolerable for someone else.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We have the LCI step witch are the same thing but they have a wider first step at the top and love them. Have never had any of those problem at all. we open them up all the time at truck stops and waysides.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
As if there wasn't enough other issues to deal with already, then these new steps came out. These are like fixing something that isn't broke. Like selling ice cubes to eskimos. We didn't need these either. They do have a sturdy feel but I never felt unsafe on the old ones.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I never felt unsafe on any step either, however I hate it when someone walked in and out with the springboard steps the entire camper shakes.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I suppose some kind of step support devised to prevent the shaking of the trailer would be easier to live with than these "improved" steps. I'll have to take notice if the trailer shakes when folks go in and out. It never noticed it before.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Even with the glow steps that touch the ground/ 6 point hydraulic level up/ X chocks between the tires/ and rear electric stabilizer jacks down I can still feel the trailer Shake if I'm laying in bed when somebody comes in and out. But it is much much better with the glow steps
Old 08-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #15
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
For us the MorRyde steps are a blessing and a curse - I figure I'll remedy the curse part. A solid step is nice. Folding inside the door is not; cleaning it before closing, especially when spending months in FL in beach sand is not nice either. Worst part is our enclosed storage facility was not designed to have this step platform stick out so far. We always work on the RV in the storage area; that is not possible any longer. The glow steps will probably be on the trailier in short order.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #16
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
We love them after we're set up at the camp site but hate them while traveling for all the reasons Randy mentioned above. I do like those Glowsteps. Thanks Daryl.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:50 PM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
For those of you with the mor ryde steps or the Liplert steps that fold into the camper, correct me if I'm wrong but since there were never any fold out steps the space to install the glow steps is not there.

I'm guessing the lower skirting just continues all the way underneath the door. ? The glow steps attach to the brackets that the fold out steps were attached to.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
beeje, you are correct. However, Glowsteps also come in a Revolution Uprising system that folds up into the door frame like the Morryde steps. Only those are only about 2 feet tall when folded down. They actually look pretty neat.
https://www.torklift.com/atv-marine-...oorway-mounted
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
beeje, you are correct. However, Glowsteps also come in a Revolution Uprising system that folds up into the door frame like the Morryde steps. Only those are only about 2 feet tall when folded down. They actually look pretty neat.
https://www.torklift.com/atv-marine-...oorway-mounted
Learn something new everyday.. didn't know there was such an animal. That would solve the problem of not having enough space to flip the mor ryde steps down but would do nothing to keep the dirt sand and water out of the camper

I can't imagine anything worse than camping on the beach and having to pack up and depart in a monsoon rain storm with those steps packed full of wet sand and having to fold them inside your camper
Old 08-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #20
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Yeah, when I first looked at them, they only had the ones that fold up underneath the door.
I carry a cheap 20 volt leaf blower that I used to have for blowing off the slides on our TT since it didn't have slide toppers. Now I use it to blow of the steps before folding it up. Doesn't get everything but does keep most stuff out of the rig. Also blow of the big 10x12 mat we put out at the campground. I've never been anywhere that I didn't have space for the steps to fold out, but I have a slide on that side next to the door, so anything that close would be WAY to close for comfort.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote