Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
What movement are you seeing at local RV lots?

Kind of a two-part question here. Our local Camping World has had save one sale ... the same 11 Montana models sitting on the lot since around last Thanksgiving. They have sold a few smaller weekend get away TT's. What's your observations locally or is it just my area?

Dropped by a region wide brand local credit union to pay off a balance. The loan officer in conversation just pointed to the rear of the parking area and said they're all repos. Heck, I thought they were employees or customers! She's never had this percentage of repos or just people bringing in their cars and handing over the keys in the past 8-10 years. Again, what's your local observations?

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have been on the road for the last couple of weeks with either the RV or the car, in AZ and CA and the RV lots we have passed are CHOCK FULL! There doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic at the stores. It sure looks like the bloom is off the rose.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Made a trip down I-35 from DFW area to near Austin then out thru the TX hill country in December. Lots of dealers along that route. All were packed full to the point of parking them in the grass off the main lots. So close it didn’t look like they could extend the slides. Looks like lot of new units arriving but not many being sold.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 12:54 AM   #4
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Have no idea on current pricing as we aren't interested, but every place we've been to or drove by has been chock block full. The amount of repos really doesn't surprise me. Legacy models are beautiful units, but we had a High Country budget. I think a lot of folks got caught up in the rush and glitter of ownership. Just my 2 cents.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:35 AM   #5
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
The RV market has most definitely slowed down. The wild ride of month over month and year over year improvements are in the rear view mirror. They simply are not selling as many as they did last year. All the “artificial stimulus “ money is long gone and out of the economy. Interests rates are up significantly. Credit card debit is at an all time high. As you know, RVs of any size are not a great investment as the depreciation is horrendous. People are scared and if they have cash, they are looking for security and where it won’t lose 15% in the next 18 months.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:44 AM   #6
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
current conditions based on interest rates, it is not a buyers market.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:38 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I pass my local RV dealership at least once a week when I go into town, sometimes more. In the last year, I've noticed the different lots full and then not so full. Their inventory shifts. They have 2 lots. The new lot is more noticeable from the road and it shifts all the time. And brands shift also. Sometimes one brand is lined up along the front, and then another time a different brand and trailer is along the front.

The parking area for the RVs and trailers waiting for service is packed full. And then their used area seems to be the smallest section. It's always shifting units.

Nearest their front door, the inventory shifts all the time.

I'm not sure in RV dealerships are simply shipping RV back and forth to each other to make it appear inventory is moving, or if they are actually making sales. But their building remains open. Their service center takes about 6 - 8 weeks for an appointment and then often another 4-8 weeks for parts after that. Their bays (and they have many) always have a camper sitting in them, and they have people working everywhere. Their parts department and parts store always has people in it and it seems no matter when I walk in the door, there is always someone at the counter buying something. But when I need help, it's always immediately available.

I think, at least the RV dealership nearest me is successful (at something). There's more than just selling new units going on all the time. But again, their inventory seems to change all the time.

What's really happening? I certainly hope they are making those sales and not simply playing a shell game to make it look like they are making sales.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:04 AM   #8
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
We have been south for several months so don’t know what the lots look like at home but the lots sure are jammed full in Fl, Ga and Sc, to the point that it looks like they may be leasing vacant land to park them on.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:18 AM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Production has past up demand and the Feds cooling of the inflation is working to some degree. RVs are a litmus for economic factors and repos are the result. Like in 2008 there were dealers that thrived on selling repos bought at auctions.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:13 AM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
FLRV typically sales around 45 units per month. In January they hit an all time low of 4 due to the economy and loan interest rates. Last month they sold around 25 so things are picking up slowly. We'll see if it lasts.