Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2023, 09:51 AM   #1
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Inverter switch inop. But problem solved.

Lately the off/on button on my magnum csw2012 has been squirrelly (I am certain this is an electronic term). Took many presses to get the inverter on and no amount would get it to turn off. I had to use the shut off in the battery compartment I took a close look (with my phone camera) and found a phone plug receptacle which was labeled “remote”. Nothing available on Magnum site so went to Amazon and ordered one for about $15. I don’t see why that won’t solve the problem instead of paying hundreds for a new inverter.

Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
Lately the off/on button on my magnum csw2012 has been squirrelly (I am certain this is an electronic term). Took many presses to get the inverter on and no amount would get it to turn off. I had to use the shut off in the battery compartment I took a close look (with my phone camera) and found a phone plug receptacle which was labeled “remote”. Nothing available on Magnum site so went to Amazon and ordered one for about $15. I don’t see why that won’t solve the problem instead of paying hundreds for a new inverter.
The inverter factory programming disables the power on off function. It's meant to always be in search mode. You can turn it off using the inverter battery disconnect switch in the battery compartment. Or you can do what I did and program the switch to work. See the attachments regarding programing.
Set to PS4 for the power button the work.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Settings (1).pdf (268.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf Operation.pdf (199.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-23-2023, 08:17 PM   #3
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Thanks for the information and the reply. The problem is not the settings but a switch on its last legs of functioning. All of the settings are correct.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
Thanks for the information and the reply. The problem is not the settings but a switch on its last legs of functioning. All of the settings are correct.
What switch do you have? If it's the top switch then yes it could be faulty. If it's the bottom you need to check the programing by scrolling through using the select button. Note the display and see if it reads PS0 - PS1 - PS2 or PS4. Only PS4 allows the power button to operate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter switch.png
Views:	13
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	14607  
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2023, 03:57 PM   #5
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
The switch in the top picture is the one I ordered which came in today after we left town for 3 weeks. The switch on the bottom is similar to the one I have on my inverter. It is a push button covered with a plastic film. Rarely, it will work to turn it on but will not work to turn it off.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #6
kully542
Established Member

M.O.C. #30379
did you replace with top switch?/ and does it work?? because i have the bottom switch and it does nothing or i dont know what im doing. i should beable to turn off and on correct?? thank u
kully542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:44 PM   #7
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
If you have a reasonable charge in your batteries you should be able to press and hold the switch for a few seconds and your inverter will come on. If on normally a brief push will turn it off.
Mine was being difficult and would go off easily enough but had to press the button and move it around a bit and it might come on. I used my phone to take a pic as it is dark and my eyes are getting old. Saw the phone plug and a usb port and thought it might be something to work with. Went to Amazon and discovered the remote switch. Works great!
Old 06-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kully542 View Post
did you replace with top switch?/ and does it work?? because i have the bottom switch and it does nothing or i dont know what im doing. i should beable to turn off and on correct?? thank u
If the display is showing voltage and the 2 led lights are lite it's working.
Read my post above. Factory programing disables the power button. Select toggles through the programing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inverter Operation.pdf (199.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf Inverter Settings.pdf (268.1 KB, 29 views)