Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthauler View Post
Went to the service center Thursday and watched the auto level system work, they replaced the motor, pump, and reservoir assembly all as one unit. Drove home, unhooked, and when I hit auto level I got the same error message: (Jack Timeout). I could lower and raise all the legs but not use auto level. Went to hookup the next morning and nothing worked, all I got was a click. Tried to raise the legs manually and they wouldn't move so we jacked up the front end with two floor jacks so I was able to hookup and take it back in. If they don't get it fixed correctly this time they are getting it back. Took delivery on May 11th and it's been non usable and we are coming up on a month.

Ralph & Nadine
2020 3120
Very good chance the batteries are toast by now. Unless you installed Trojan T105's or equivalent that is likely. Also, auto level will not work if the trailer is parked nose down. It has to be nose high so it can find the level point, it never searches up. That is because the engineers assume you are parked on level ground and when you disengage the hitch the nose will be up. Plugging in does not help that much, the hydraulics need lots of amps and the converter is not designed to do that. If you have the factory installed battery or two then even one discharge below 50% will damage the battery enough to make levelling difficult and after the 3 at least you have done they are toast. First thing I did was trash the 2 useless little 75AH 12V batteries Keystone supplied for a pair of Trojan T105's, 6V and 225AH. If you have the residential fridge, get 4 T105's, just remember to connect the main leads cross corner.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #22
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I agree it sounds like a bad ground or loose connection somewhere. Panel flickering, motor overheats, solenoid clicking all sound like symptoms of the above conditions.
Almost dead battery will do the same.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #23
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I doubt if any of us got the 1/4" allen bit for manually moving the hydraulic landing gear or slides. They are easily sourced at ACE hardware, Lowe's Home Depot, some auto parts stores on the cheap. You'll need a good cordless drill as well as another small allen wrench to open and close the needed solenoids. I'd suggest you go to the Lippert website, download, and study the procedure to manually move your landing gear and slides so you won't have to be at the mercy of your dealer or a mobile RV tech. Many of us have practiced the procedure for those just in case moments during ownership.
It sure would be nice if you included a link to the document(s) you mention. I am very computer literate and finding anything on that Lippert site is a nightmare. I tried searching on 'manually move your landing gear and slides' and found no useful information.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #24
GeorgeP.
Established Member

M.O.C. #21730
Go into battery/ hydraulic compartment and tighten every electrical connection, I had one ground wire loose and had the same problem.
GeorgeP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
It sure would be nice if you included a link to the document(s) you mention. I am very computer literate and finding anything on that Lippert site is a nightmare. I tried searching on 'manually move your landing gear and slides' and found no useful information.
There are several LCI manuals saved here on the MOC in the Files section. This is a link to one where the manual operation is described on page 14
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...?do=file&id=12

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #26
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
The second time the leveling system would not work we had 13.5 volts from the batteries and then we jumped them just to make sure and still nothing. The nose was always up when we tried auto level and the first thing that would happen is the nose would come all the way down while the readout on the screen would say grounding jacks please wait and after about 30 seconds error jack timeout. The last motor to go out was working in the evening but died overnight so something must have been shorting it out during the night. It's a head scratcher!
shorthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #27
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthauler View Post
The second time the leveling system would not work we had 13.5 volts from the batteries and then we jumped them just to make sure and still nothing. The nose was always up when we tried auto level and the first thing that would happen is the nose would come all the way down while the readout on the screen would say grounding jacks please wait and after about 30 seconds error jack timeout. The last motor to go out was working in the evening but died overnight so something must have been shorting it out during the night. It's a head scratcher!
Have also checked the connections many times, everything seems good.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #28
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Maybe a longshot but is the trailer on level ground or an upslope when auto leveling? The nose has to go below level first to auto level. When the nose is on too much of an upslope it won't work.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I gave up on the auto level function years ago because it acted goofy at times. I've done it in manual mode since then and I'm so used to it it actually works better I have way more control manually
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 AM   #30
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Actually the ground I park on is almost perfectly level. I really don't need to auto level it but I wanted to see it work. Now I'm wondering if I'm camping and the jacks won't work and raising them manually won't work what would I do? Luckily the other day we had the legs all raised and the slide outs were still in so we used a floor jack to raise it high enough to hookup and that was with 6 inches of wood under the jack.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #31
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Our level up was put on aftermarket so we have 2 completely separate systems. One for the slides (factory) and one for the level up. 2 tanks/2 pumps/2 sets of hydraulic lines.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #32
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaquilter View Post
Daryles,
I can’t seem to find the correct app, we too have had issues with auto leveling, so would like to learn more. I have downloaded the app, but can’t seem to find anything, it’s like they have changed the app, from a few years ago. If u can give me any help it would be appreciated. Sandy
I just checked mine. I see what you mean. Mine must have done an update. It used to have a menu list. Now the menu is in pictures. You have to fig around a bit the info is still there. What in particular are you looking for?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #33
Hamlej
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22749
I would suggest replacing the reversing solenoid switch and tighten the connections to it, then reset the system.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 3820FK
2019 F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #34
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
I found a document on another forum that has step by step instructions for manually operating the hydraulic slides and jacks. It was written by a guy with an Alpine RV but is applicable to a Montana.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #35
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Had to use that procedure twice but the last time wouldn't work because something was broke in the pump. Would hate to be stuck in a campground.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #36
Badgerbali

M.O.C. #26446
Same slide and auto level problem

Picked up our 3120 in January 2020. Have had the motor replaced twice since. So far the third motor is working, but for how long. Thanks Daryles for the 80amp breaker info. Have a feeling we will need it.

Chet
Badgerbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #37
shorthauler
Established Member

M.O.C. #25922
Joined the Forum a couple of months ago and haven't read of many people having motors going out one after another. This will be our 4th in 30 days so I'm sure some electrical issue is causing the problem, they just have to figure it out. Right now we just need a rig with the auto level working. That one of a kind with the black interior is looking pretty good right now when you have nothing.