Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #21
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
My user name comes from a hobby. I enjoy Ham Radio. So I just took the Ham part and added the RAD from radio. Not nearly so creative as the rest of you but it works.

Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #22
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
OK, OK, I thought I would wait a while before going through my long dissertation of how we (I) got that name.

RC stands for Richard (Dick) Carl. If he were to post here and have his own User Name it would be RCBoarder, RC standing for the fore mentioned and Boarder stands for his love of Snowboarding. His is pretty simple.

Now mine, well it's not quite that easy.

A long time ago in the year of our Lord, 1998, a gal got a new computer, her first. Her husband (RC) was very concerned about all that he read and heard on the news regarding Creeps that stalk their prey here on the Internet. (She used to chat a lot back then.) Because of his great concern she promised him that she would never use her real name. After all it was all new to her.

Around that same time she worked at a small but productive answering service. The rules of the boss were that they never gave their real names to their client's, clients but rather respond with Operator # 2 or something similar. They could also use any other people type of names. Out of boredom this gal used to pick names out of the air when asked. Periodically she'd stick to one for a while. After several months of playing that game "Samantha" was picked and stuck.

Now back at their home and computer...

...She was registering with AOL and needed to come up with a Screen Name to start their account. Since she had made that promise she had to come up with something other than her name. It was quite a frustrating experience as it seemed that all names were taken already. She came up with the name FerratLady. They had a beloved smelly ferret at the time.

As time went on they created more Screen Names in their account for each member of the family. When it came time for her own Screen Name since the common response in Chat Rooms was "Hey Weasel Woman" and other names like that, she decided to come up with something else. The newly created name was Samantha7x70.

Years later General Motors along with the UAW started providing AOL accounts for only $3.00 per month. The kids liked AOL very much and even though they had another service provider they wanted AOL. To take advantage of that offer it required them to start a complete new account and new Screen Names. They could not take their old names with them. Hence RCnSamantha on AOL.

This was around the same time that this forum started and since her past experiences were to not use their own names she registered with RC and Samantha. Who knew then that this site would be such a great place that disguising ones name was not necessary?

It took about a year for this gal to finally get the nerve to come forward and publicly declare her real name. Quite a few members knew, but not the general membership. To totally abandon their User Name here would have been a mistake since everyone had come to know them as RC and Samantha. To request a change would also not be static and to look up old posts it would be very confusing. They just stuck with RC and Samantha.

There you go the very long very dull story of our User Name. Now you know why I didn’t go into it on the first post.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

I will answer to either name though!
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Now THERE'S an explaination and a half RCnSamantha! Our is much simpler--Bowie is an old family name.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, I guess I oughta explain mine, too. But i have to 'fess up to a typo when I describe this. You see, I misspelled "eagle". I used to belong to a den of eagles. Obviously not the bald type, but the gray-haired eagles. On days off we'd "soar with eagles" so to speak. Kinda just flew around, using our eagle eyesight to spot rodents. Well, you get the picture. I, unfortunately, was the oldest eagle. Thus I was known as the "senior eagle". Or maybe that was "senor eagle". Well, never mind, it doesn't matter either way. Anyhow, to type "senior eagle" or "senioreagle" all the time just takes too much time. So I shortened it to "sreagle" except in my hurry I misspelled "eagle". So, I became known on MOC as "sreigle". And here you thought it had something to do with my name!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #25
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Steve...

LOL Very good sir!

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #26
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I am simply a transplanted Texan living in Alabama. I will say that I have grown to love Alabama after living in Texas over 40 years.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:19 AM   #27
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Duh! Original or what?
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:40 AM   #28
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
If anyone actually believes that crock of poo "sreigle" dished out regarding his user name, I've got some swampland in Florida you might be interested in!

My name just comes from the fact that I'm probably one of the most un-creative people you'll ever meet!

... and Patty ... WHEW!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #29
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve does have an active imagination! You sure he did not write novels sometime in his past?? Like comic mysteries or something??

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:13 AM   #30
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I think I'm solar powered since I always feel better and am more ambitious when the sun is out - thus, the user name "Sunshine"!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:19 AM   #31
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Pretty simple - I really enjoy astronomy, and have a fairly large telescope that can really bring in the deep stuff! I don't think I could get a larger one in the Monty, which is just as well, this one is heavy enough! Go here, to see some pics of the Telescope and our PT Cruiser: http://starmastertelescopes.com/html/transport.htm.

Course I reaaly enjoy garden trains, hunting, and fishing so I don't know why I chose skyguy!!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Very nice, Skyguy! I don't know anything about them but it looks impressive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:52 AM   #33
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
.....'cause I'm the least creative guy you ever laid eyes on.......
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #34
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Someone asked a couple years back the origin of Palebluedot. So some of you already know the story. With apologies to those who have already seen this, here it is again for the new folks.

On September 5, 1977, NASA launched the spacecraft Voyager I. Designed to last only 5 years, it's mission was to explore and photograph, closeup, the planets of our solar system. After it passed the last planet, it's trajectory was such that it was headed into interstellar space on it's way to forever.
When it was 3.7 billion miles away on June 6, 1990, as it was leaving our solar system, NASA sent a radio command and turned Voyager's camera back towards Earth. The resulting image of Earth from that great distance is called "The Pale Blue Dot". It is a haunting reminder of just how alone and insignificant we are in a very vast universe. When I get to feeling a little too important in the scheme of things, a return look at this image brings things back into perspective.
In everyday life, our consciousness rarely gets above a 100 feet off the ground and we are normally unaware of the fact that there is a VERY big universe out there and we "all" exist on this tiny speck of dust floating in a vast cosmic ocean.
Voyager I is now over 9 Billion miles away and is still sending data back to NASA. It is now the farthest man-made object from earth. For you ham radio operators, the received signal is 1/20 billionth the power of a digital wrist watch. It has enough fuel to continue transmitting until the year 2020. Voyager I will reach the star Ross 148 in approximately 40,000 years.
Just it case it should ever encounter any intelligent life, it is carrying a golden phonograph record of some of the sounds of Earth.
One of interest is a song by rock & roller Chuck Berry. I can only imagine an alein trying to decode a recording of "Roll Over Beethoven".
The link below is to the NASA photograph taken by Voyager. The color streaks were caused by the angle the camera lens was to the sun. In reality, Earth would be surrounded by total blackness. On the right quarter of the image is a light golden streak running top to bottom. Half way down the page centered in this streak you will see the Pale Blue Dot. That's us !! As far as we know, every being who ever was in the entire universe, lived on this tiny dot. It remains my all-time favorite photograph, not for it's quality, but for what it represents.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/skyimage_1829_3094094
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #35
Montana_2627
Established Member

M.O.C. #2627
24+ years of fixing industrial sweepers and scrubbers (I tell my customers with my parts and knowledge and their money I can fix anything!!!). I'm still trying to find the wrench to tighten up the loose nuts behind the wheels

I'm also hitched with a real RN (30 years this April!)
Montana_2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #36
Little Rascal
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #726
My husband came up with my name. A little while ago, we just opened up a comcast account and I needed to quickly come up with a username. Being the uncreative person that I am...my husband took one quick look at me, factored in my personality and I suddenly became...Little Rascal. Sooooo, to keep things simple and to avoid coming up with yet another user name, I just stuck with it for this forum too.
Little Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 AM   #37
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Mine is fairly simple as well. My background as a Diesel "Truck" Mechanic or "Doctor" So Trukdoc it is. A few years ago I switched to heavy equipment due to financial benefits. But Trukdoc stuck. "Heavyequipdoc" does not have the same ring not to mention way too much typing...lol It is my CB handle as well.
How many of you run with CB's? I call out to the Montana's I see but yet to get a comeback. Think a new thread is due!
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #38
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve - you are too funny.
Palebluedot - being a space buff I love your name, picture and explanation.
Skyguy - awesome telescope, my husband would love it.

Like some other, I was hestiant to use my real name as I had had some bad experiences on other sites. So Parrothead is what I am as a Jimmy Buffett fan. It is kind of a take off on Greatful Deads, Deadheads because Buffett fans get dressed up for concerts and tailgate parties in pretty outrageous outfits usually with a tropical theme. Many used parrots as part of that attire and thus the title of parrothead came about. It was mention at one concert years ago and stuck. There are lots of Parrothead Clubs around the US and all do a lot of Fund Raising. It is a fun thing where you can kind of forget all your troubles and be silly for a while.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #39
Montana_2296
Established Member

M.O.C. #2296
Well, ours is what happens when we go camping! (see sig)
Just a crazy moment of inspiration, or something like that.

Jeff and Elaine Moeller
Montana_2296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #40
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Chester is my Brittany Spaniel. He's my hunting buddy and the biggest baby you've ever seen!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote