Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #21
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Thanks for all the tech help!

To everyone who provided the great tech info on the this widespread issue, thank you. Your solutions were intelligent and some very innovative. You have saved many people many dollars and hours of frustration - me included!

I spent a few hours troubleshooting this (as a telecom tech, I have the tools and experience), but could only narrow it down to the controller and possibly return ground. You all not only educated me on the root cause, but several ways to go about fixing it.

Much appreciated!

dc

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #22
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Turns out I got yet another little problem, but it's probably an easy fix. I was working running that ground cable to the chassis when I found that there was a chassis ground already installed nearby, so I went to connect to that one and got a bit of a spark as I pulled that ground cable off the chassis. Have not checked the voltage across that yet, but definitely suspect a short to ground in the system somewhere, and my primary suspicions are the controller and/or the ext/ret switch. I'll get to those later tonight when it cools down a bit.

Just by way of commentary, the wiring colorization of this contraption is like a fruit salad. I am sure it has a purpose what with purple wires and such, perhaps for labeling in the schematics, but I like my red/black or green/black/white scenarios. Fortunately, this harness is not that complicated. Still considering installing separate switch(es).

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 07-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #23
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
what are those small two-post terminals under the red covers? Isolation blocks? purpose/function?

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
Old 07-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #24
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Those are 12V self resetting circuit breakers. They protect most of the 12V supply systems. The left one feeds the hydraulics and is frequently replaced by an 80 amp version. Do a search on self resetting breaker and you will find lots of discussion about this beast.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #25
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Those are 12V self resetting circuit breakers. They protect most of the 12V supply systems. The left one feeds the hydraulics and is frequently replaced by an 80 amp version. Do a search on self resetting breaker and you will find lots of discussion about this beast.
Thanks for the info! Now I know what to test for as I go chasing voltages throughout the system tonight.

Cheers...

DC

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
Old 07-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #26
ahhboo

M.O.C. #26308
Smile Moving the ground line worked for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarteaux View Post
To everyone who provided the great tech info on the this widespread issue, thank you. Your solutions were intelligent and some very innovative. You have saved many people many dollars and hours of frustration - me included!

I spent a few hours troubleshooting this (as a telecom tech, I have the tools and experience), but could only narrow it down to the controller and possibly return ground. You all not only educated me on the root cause, but several ways to go about fixing it.

Much appreciated!

dc
Moving the manual switch ground line to chassis ground worked for me too! Perhaps it was issues like this that lead Keystone to drop the wireless remote control in later years....
ahhboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:02 AM   #27
tonythepony
Established Member

M.O.C. #32418
Landing gear switches

Was the problem ever resolved?
I have the same receiver board except mine doesn’t work with the remote or the onboard switches
I really don’t like using the manual handle to raise and lower
My receiver for the remote is wired almost identical to the one in the picture except on the upper right the first wire is black the second is blue.
I really need the landing gear to work I would even run hot from the battery straight to the electric motor if I have to
tonythepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #28
tonythepony
Established Member

M.O.C. #32418
I have the same remote receiver board as Garpo my problem is neither the remote or the rocker switches work
There is power to the receiver board push the button red light comes on steady then after a couple of seconds it flashes rapidly then goes out
Push any button on the remote while red light is lit and it does nothing really tired of manually cranking landing gear by hand
Any ideas?
By the way there are no fuses other than one 30 amp fuse hanging from a double pigtail it is good
tonythepony is offline   Reply With Quote