Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2024, 01:37 PM   #1
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Insurance suggestions

Anyone suggest a reliable and reasonable insurance company for RV’s

Thanks

jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:45 PM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jann View Post

Thanks

Do you realize that reliable and reasonable insurance is an oxymoron? I think Florida the highest insurance rates in the country too.

I understand very few insurers want to cover full timers if that's your situation. I would highly recommend finding an independent agent that sells several companies and checking with them. The carrier that covers your tow vehicle might be worth checking also.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:26 PM   #3
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
We shop our insurance as a “package” every 30 months. We have our home owners, RV and Truck, Home Owners and an umbrella policy. We’ve stopped trying to shop just one or the other and found the package approach works best for us. Right now we are with State Farm but fully expect tp be changing in September again.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:33 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We have had the same auto insurance company since I returned from my first tour in sunny SE Asia in 1968. I can't even guess at how many insurance companies we have used for RVs and big boats. It seems both the latter want to raise rates every year, normally several hundred dollars...without any accidents or claims. I've given up, and every three years or so, call around for cheaper rates....change companies, then do it all over again in another three years.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:07 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jann View Post

Thanks
Check first with your auto insurance company. Our RV is much less expensive than even one of our autos.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:43 PM   #6
jann
Established Member

M.O.C. #34217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
Do you realize that reliable and reasonable insurance is an oxymoron? I think Florida the highest insurance rates in the country too.

I understand very few insurers want to cover full timers if that's your situation. I would highly recommend finding an independent agent that sells several companies and checking with them. The carrier that covers your tow vehicle might be worth checking also.
You are correct……….lol

I’m going to check around on different insurance companies when I have some time.

Thanks!
jann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:21 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We also, have the Montana insured through our auto insurance company (AllState).

Of course, when towing, any mishaps are covered under the auto policy.
But, (almost) everything else is covered under a separate RV rider, which includes any damage while the trailer is unhitched and theft.
And third, we are insured for "slip and fall" coverage through our AllState Home owners. In other words, if someone trips going up the stairs of our camper and hurts themselves and attempt to sue us, it's covered by homeowners. Also, any theft of anything falls under homeowners.

So, you need to evaluate what coverage you need. For us, having everything covered in such a way is worth the cost. AllState, although is NOT the cheapest, we've had to made a few claims over the years with them and they never, never gave us any haggle. And everything was handled , literally, hands free for us and it fell between our agent and the repair shops.

We know AllState deliverrs and that's why I stick with them, for.... what? 45 years now!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:48 PM   #8
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We have our 5er insurance and auto insurance through Progressive. Price is reasonable and the one claim we had they took care of immediately.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:18 PM   #9
Captchris

M.O.C. #32345
I have had good luck so far with Good Sam's, I had my RV with them for a couple fo years. and just bought a new Ram 3500 and they gave me good rate for both the new truck and RV.It is under the Allstate umbrella. the RV is with National General and the truck with Direct. My step son is in the insurance claims business and he looked at the coverage and gave it a thumbs up.
Captchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:51 PM   #10
carlmich1

M.O.C. #23803
I am an insurance Broker in Washington state Progressive has a good policy that gives you all the bells an whistles, replacement cost, agreed value, contents coverage, Vacation Liability. A lot of other companies have depreciated value called ACV Safeco also has a good policy. In regards to reasonably price, rates have gone up in the industry due to all the losses. Look at the coverage when you are comparing polies, not at the price Wish you luck!
carlmich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:55 PM   #11
carlmich1

M.O.C. #23803
Shopping your insurance is not a good idea. It waters down your insurance history down and in the saving you will get, in the long run you will be paying about the same dollars Right now the way rates are, your savings going to another company, guarantees they will have a rate increase eating up your saving. I am a insurance broker This is what they call a hard market and rates are just going up
carlmich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:55 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have had State Farm for everything for years. Home, auto, RV, remote acreage with shop/storage building we once owned. We had two claims on the RV, one for vandal break in and theft and another for significant damage to our rear cap ($14,000+). Along with several auto claims (both our fault and someone else’s fault), weather related damage home claims, and vandal break in and theft at our remote property. Never once did they question a claim and they paid promptly and adequately, often more than I expected. No idea how they compare on costs. But our satisfaction with them has kept us with them for all these years.

Who ever you go with check their customer reviews on satisfaction with coverage and paying claims. Last thing you want is a low price policy that is slow to pay or refuse to pay.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 04:47 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have Allstate. I looked for something cheaper with no luck. My auto policy with the old Allstate and can’t be dropped by Allstate for any reason. If it was with the “new” Allstate it could be canceled but not with the “old” company. That is reason to keep my coverage especially if I’m not saving any money.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:37 PM   #14
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
I’m no insurance agent or an insurance expert, based on my understanding each state has varying laws and requirements that impact the cost, but here are somethings to consider. When towing our truck insurance kicks in to a certain degree so we have double coverage while towing. You will want to speak with your truck company to insure enough coverage while towing and/or know your specific company and policy parameters no matter what you decide to do. I’ve had the same auto company for almost 40 years so my low auto rate has a bunch of discounts so I couldn’t recommend them to be your cheapest option. The deductible you select has a big impact on your rates as well as how many miles you plan to drive each year. Some auto companies have varying rates if you drive 15k, 10k, 7,500k per year. If you don’t ask, they don’t tell you! While towing and when parked and separated from the truck we have a separate policy brokered through a different company to cover the trailer because they were actually cheaper than our auto company. Wether you go with one company or separate companies, you will want to make sure you have adequate content coverage for all of the stuff you put inside the trailer as well. Word of caution are that some companies will offer a reduced rate for putting the OBD-2 device in your vehicle, but it can count against you towing because of the high RPM, moving a loaded trailer can cause! I know I’m not helping with a company name, but hopefully this will help you in your search.

Ttman is offline   Reply With Quote