Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Polls
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Closing Threads?
Keep always open 10 43.48%
Allow a thread to close 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Closing Threads

Do you want threads to close? I personally don't like threads to close. If someone gets out of hand than send them a seas and desist order.

Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When threads veer off into the "politics and religion" of RVing, I think closing the thread is a good idea. Keeps peace in the family. I just wish Carl would wait until my witty comeback was posted.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Slow hand, agree or at least post a warning in the thread.

"Per the OP, the question was asked and answered. This Thread is closed before it wonders too far off into a political discussion."

Yesterdays post was closed as a prevention, not because it was a problem. A guy was asking about moving in or near CA and he was getting advice which he apparently heeded. The things being said about CA may be distasteful to some residents but were all true and may save our members from making a bad decision. We are looking to move as well and sure would appreciate honest input from those here with valuable first hand knowledge.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
2nd MM said.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Closing threads except for political, religious or inflamatory reasons is not really a good idea. I've been known to resurrect an oldie if it pertains to something I want information. I do try to preface my question by acknowledging that it is an oldie but still relevant. Then there is the time that a mod would need out of his personal life to monitor these old threads. I understand that his position is highly compensated but this would be above and beyond normal duties
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #6
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
To me there is never a reason to close a thread. However if it resorts to name calling than thats another thing all together but shutting down a conversation because it may or could be something is sad. This is the only site I am on that closes threads. Better to deal with the offending individual than punish the entire group. There are plenty of threads that could close. The weight threads and weather to get a dully or SRW. Talk about out of control. I like this site!!! Lots of good people here lots of great information here also. Just not a fan of censorship. If a thread gets out of control I just stop reading it.

207 people have seen my poll and only 7 votes.

Sorry I just had to voice my opinion
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

I think your right and vote in favor of what you said
But duallys are better you know
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I would be in favor of automatically closing threads if nothing new is added for 6 months. Keep it visible so the info is still available. Folks could open a new thread if they have a similar issue.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I didn't know anyone was thinking about this. But, allowing someone to review 'old threads' would work if they can be locked. So I'd support having threads locked but viewable.

Suggestio too: I would also say that some of the annual rally threads that are just informational should be locked so that the information isn't lost when numerous people add their comments.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
The site team doesn't routinely close threads unless the run off they rails - political topics are an example of threads that might be closed.

Thread closure is often preferable to removing a thread and so if at all possible this is the lesser of two evils. Often when a thread like this has been closed posters who may have strayed too far from the forum rules may get a PM from a moderator about the issues at hand and we work to keep moderation a private affair. If a thread has been closed you can assume that there was some problem and occasionally (but not often) you may see a general moderator type post as the thread closes about this..

For regular (not hot topic) threads there are lots of reasons for leaving old threads open.
  • Someone may have an update on a topic.
  • Someone may want to ask a question of the earlier posters.
  • For rally threads we often see folks post pics long after the event.
  • Limiting discussions for the sake of tidyness sort of runs in the face of maintaining a forum where discussion is encouraged.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I don't have an issue with anything posted on here. If I don't like it I stop reading the post. I strongly favor free speech and reallllyyyyyyy don't like the idea that you have to constantly watch yourself for fear of reprisal by the forum police. I get it that we all signed on to the rules of the forum but the idea that we cannot public speak out opposing heavy handed enforcement of same (particularly if the enforcement appears to be one sided against conservatives or at least specific people) is just not right.

But I am the most concerned about censorship of speech when it is done in the name of political correctness. Because it is almost always biased toward whatever political bent the controllers have.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
I think that's why there is no political talk here and if it looks like it is heading that way mods jump in to remind us of that. I don't like it either but that's how they want to run things here, so that's what I follow. Don't want anyone to get upset about a comment.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
To promote harmony with a large group of people, I.E. the MOC, you NEVER discuss politics or religion. This is a forum to help each other get the most out of our chosen joy, RV'ing.

Everything we do in life has some sort of rule to guide us. We can choose to not follow rules, but be prepared to accept the consequences. Free speech even has rules. You right to free speech ends when it interferes with my rights.

If we all stay focused on the fact that this is a forum for RV'ers, about RVs, then we will never have to worry about the "so called" forum police.

Just one member's humble opinion.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
To me there is never a reason to close a thread. However if it resorts to name calling than thats another thing all together but shutting down a conversation because it may or could be something is sad. This is the only site I am on that closes threads. Better to deal with the offending individual than punish the entire group. There are plenty of threads that could close. The weight threads and weather to get a dully or SRW. Talk about out of control. I like this site!!! Lots of good people here lots of great information here also. Just not a fan of censorship. If a thread gets out of control I just stop reading it.

207 people have seen my poll and only 7 votes.

Sorry I just had to voice my opinion

Agreed!
Joe Hollars
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
To promote harmony with a large group of people, I.E. the MOC, you NEVER discuss politics or religion. This is a forum to help each other get the most out of our chosen joy, RV'ing.

Everything we do in life has some sort of rule to guide us. We can choose to not follow rules, but be prepared to accept the consequences. Free speech even has rules. You right to free speech ends when it interferes with my rights.

If we all stay focused on the fact that this is a forum for RV'ers, about RVs, then we will never have to worry about the "so called" forum police.

Just one member's humble opinion.
Some good observations.

The forum has a bunch of rules but most folks never read them and frankly don't need to. They conduct themselves in reasonable, courteous ways .. The rules exist for the handful who have a different idea about the basic rules of engagement and to make it clear that marketing here is not appropriate.

Most of us participate here as though we were talking to a person - in person. Occasionally however, I see folks who write things on forums they would never say in person - there seems to be a veil of protection in the written word. This is the reason we have a litany of rules. So that when this occurs we can point to them and say "this is what is expected here". They clarify what we mean by "be nice"

Quote:
Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Please treat each other with respect just as you would around a campfire.
Views about politics and religion are widely varying and we are an rving board. We share this in common but often disagree about lifestyle choices, politics, etc. The Board is here to support RVing and to build community around RVing. Folks rarely change their political views or religious beliefs and these discussions are almost never productive. They invariably end in arguments and that drama is toxic for forums. Reasonable folks don't participate in them... they simply logout leaving only those who enjoy fruitless online arguments. What remains is a forum of trolls arguing endlessly about non-rving topics.

The First Amendment (free speech guarantee) is an important concept in THE USA BUT it specifically addresses your right to speak critically of the government in a public venue without fear of reprisal. It's doesn't give free rein to say anything you want in a private venue. As an example you can't expect to be able to go into a restaurant and solicit customers to go to the eatery down the street. You can't threaten someone and you can't defame without fear or reprisal. The forum is privately owned, it's isn't a public venue (like a street corner) and there are rules just as there are in a local restaurant.

That said, disagreements are fine provided they fit within the subject guidelines for the forum and they remain civil. It's OK to disagree with someones opinion and post about that so long as it remains civil.

As an example: if one member posts something about tow limits of a truck and a recommendation and you disagree, you can post about that explaining your view, poking holes in the reasoning offered by the opposing view, etc. but you can't call them names. You can say that such a proposal is unsafe, ill-advised, illegal in some states, etc but you can't directly call them idiots, or ignorant twits, or anything else personal. You also can't threaten to let the air out of their tires if you encounter them at a rest area (has happened). You can't say things like "only a democrat, republican, atheist, baptist, Canadian, Pennsylvanian, woman, man, blonde, redhead, etc would do something so idiotic".

The few thread closures we have are generally in response to the scenarios just mentioned; politics, insults and direct attacks. We rarely close threads however and even more rarely remove content. We work to keep an open forum but to coexist peacefully we have rules just a society does.

When a member forgets (or more likely was unaware of) the board rules, we contact them reminding them about expectations, trying to realign their posting stance. Usually this is sufficient. If there is a recurring problem we work to help them understand exactly where the line is and only very rarely do we remove posts or take further action. In the several years I have been participating I can think of 1 or 2 folks who truly couldn't get along. We don't edit member posts to change intent without contacting the member.

The site team volunteers their time here and frankly it's a thankless job. The rules help them when someone has a different understanding of what we generally view as reasonable behavior and they are pretty simple.. Be nice, be appropriate, be reasonable, be helpful, have fun.

The long set just offers a granular version of this; defining what is appropriate, reasonable, etc.

Chevy or Ford anyone?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a section Setting around the camp fire. Many of have have been around here for over ten years. We know each other and can discuss about anything civilized. That includes politics, religion and firearms. Several years ago we did have a discussion about firearms. In fact it was so civil the previous owners of this forum thanked everyone for being so civil. So it can be done. Setting around the camp fire RVs talk about everything and if given the chance we can to. These subjects like all others can be shutdown just like all others that get out of hand.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
2 times what Lynwood said.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We have a section Setting around the camp fire. Many of have have been around here for over ten years. We know each other and can discuss about anything civilized. That includes politics, religion and firearms. Several years ago we did have a discussion about firearms. In fact it was so civil the previous owners of this forum thanked everyone for being so civil. So it can be done. Setting around the camp fire RVs talk about everything and if given the chance we can to. These subjects like all others can be shutdown just like all others that get out of hand.
Lynwood

Yes - I agree with this and this is the reason for the note in the forum description for that section especially and this is what happened with the recent closure - this discussion turned political and headed off the rails. Rather than remove the discussion entirely it was closed.

The forum is growing and not everyone shares the same values or social expectations. In the past 2 years, the number of members has grown by over 200 per month and the number of posts has doubled. This is great news because it means the community is active and vibrant and interestingly we have many fewer moderation issues than we used to.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The last thread I saw was shut down due to the possibility of it going off track. The original request was asking about ideas concerning moving to and retiring in CA. The advice was valid as experienced folks shared about high costs, the unfavorable political climate, and more. It seems that the original poster received enough information to help make a major life decision. I didn't see any real arguments or insults between members.

It appeared to me that the closure was due to a negative consensus regarding living in the state, not infighting or inapproiate comments.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
The last thread I saw was shut down due to the possibility of it going off track. The original request was asking about ideas concerning moving to and retiring in CA. The advice was valid as experienced folks shared about high costs, the unfavorable political climate, and more. It seems that the original poster received enough information to help make a major life decision. I didn't see any real arguments or insults between members.

It appeared to me that the closure was due to a negative consensus regarding living in the state, not infighting or inapproiate comments.
Exactly.

The comments may have had some political tones but only in as much as it directly affects a very important decision of where to live. You cannot totally exclude politics of an area from such a discussion as it very much impacts (particularly in California) your life like it or not! Even the most loyal Californian would have to admit that their states politics has made the state extremely expensive to live in. I don't hate California, it has what I consider some of the most beautiful scenery in the country (the Redwoods are really something) but I absolutely would not want to live there!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote