Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Texters beware!

I see you texting, I know what you are doing when I approach you on the highway, you know how I can be aware of what you are doing? You are slower than the traffic-flow, head bowed looking at the tiny phone in your lap, you are weaving like a drunk at 3:00 in the morning, you stop at a light a full car-length behind the car in front of you. You start moving only after the rest of the cars have taken off, often only when someone honks at you, while you are furiously poking at the tiny keyboard in your hand.
You are taking up both lanes when you weave all over the road.
You are not fooling anyone but yourselves.
Going 55 MPH, you travel a football field in length while searching for the ‘Q’ on that phone.
Maybe one day you will awaken to the dangers of your foolish actions, but it may be like the guy in the story below…. Too late.
You will cause accidents, hopefully not kill anyone.
Stop it! Make the call in 15 minutes when you get home, or pull off the road and take care of business.
We will be watching you, Closely. Dumb A***!
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Tee...3/-/index.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Ozz, I am with ya! We in Washington state passes a law that you cannot text or use a cell phone without using hands free. The only problem is that you see people doing both all the time! They do not enforce it, so what’s the law worth. When I see them I point and yell, “GET OFF YOUR PHONE”! My DW tells me all the time, “they are going to think you’re pointing a gun at them and call the cops, or shoot you”. She’s probably right, I shouldn’t do it….but it p!$$3$ me off. They don’t have to respond to the accidents and see the terror they cause to innocent people like cops and firefighters have to. They need to just put the phone down and DRIVE. They are not that important that they have to take that call or answer that text while they are supposed to be paying attention to driving. Most are young drivers that do not have the skill sets that experience brings, and those several seconds of inattention to driving is disastrous as they overcorrect in an attempt to regain control of the several ton vehicles they have been given the responsibility to operate…with us and our loved ones sharing the road with them.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You got that right!
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Just a matter of where our values have gone. Taking a life is worth returning a text immediately. Sad comment on our times.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
We should have "stupid horns" in cars for when we do something stupid. When someone sees you being stupid, they could use their (hands-free) cell phone and call the number on your license plate. Then this big-ass horn would go off inside the car, telling you that someone saw you doing something stupid.

But then I suppose some other idiot would text you instead...

Last year, I pulled in front of a woman who was studiously doing her eyelashes while driving. How she held onto the brush, compact, and steering wheel at the same time I'll never know. I tapped on the brakes and watched her throw the lash brush one way, the compact another, and then saw the front end dip as she slammed on the brakes.

I know, I know....BAD PAT!

But I laughed all the way through my text message....
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Air horns deliver a nice wake up call to the inattentive.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I can't understand what is so important that it could not wait. I guess before cell phones the world must have stopped turning when we had to drive somewhere until we got to a phone.It is sad.
They just finished a trial here in Buffalo,where a Dr. was proven,texting,dui, at night, ran into a 18 year old girl,throwing her 167 feet,and killing her. Kept driving to home,parked in garage,relized then that he hit something and started to WIPE off the blood from his BMW then called his lawyer first. 5 hours after the accident his blood content was still .10 legally intoxicxated in NYS, But guess what, expensive laywers, put doubt into the jurors mind that maybe,just maybe she might have stepped into the lane,and his car was so QUIET he did not hear anything from inside.so not guilty on manslauhter,leaving the scene, only guilty of mistimeaner dui,and will probably get only probation. And the family will never have their daughter back
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Fire5er I know what you are talking about!! In Oregon they passed the same law about no talking or texting on cell phones while driving and I constantly see people doing it. Also they passed a law about not using your horn(s) unless it is an emergency, if you honk your horns at your neighbor as you pass by them and a cop hears that, he can ticket you for that......
BTW Pat, that was funny.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Couldn't agree more, OZZ.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I pulled into our local coffee shop the other day which has a very small and crowded parking lot. I saw a car starting to back out of a space so I waited. Would you believe that the driver was one her cell phone, trying to back up her car with one hand on the steering wheel, unable to look back except through her mirrors, attempting to shift into drive with the same hand she used on the steering wheel and then trying to steer clear of my waiting truck. Did I mention that this is a small and crowded parking lot? She never once took the stupid phone from her ear. It must have been a very important call.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Just this past Wednesday I had a woman pass me on the right doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone and texting at the same time! I backed off the gas to give myself some distance hoping I wouldn't come up on an accident further down the road. Apparently you can't fix stupid.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is noted by us that some of the worst offenders in talking/texting on cell phones while driving are LEO's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't forget speeding and failing to signal when changing lanes... :0
Old 06-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Not wearing a seat belt
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We should, at this time note that all LEO's are not the same, many do observe all laws just like the rest of us gomers..
Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
I have often looked into those cell phone zappers, they cut off your signal. Might cause more of a problem if they have to re dial. I think they are still legal in Canada but not in the US. Thought it would be neat to have one and as you pass them just push th button and poof, you shut them down. Would especially be nice in resturants when that annoying call comes in next to you while you are eating.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow! Where do they sell them? I want one...he he
Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #18
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Actually they are called phone jammers, google them. I believe the FCC restricts them here but they are available
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Just remember that you are legally responsible for the outcome of blocking a call. And if it is me handling a emergency call and you block mine, it would be me feeling obligated to beat your a$$. Why not demand the enforcement of hands free laws, instead of infringing on more individual freedoms. I don't text and drive and I don't take calls when I drive, but in a emergency I would and you wouldn't know is it was an emergency or not.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you could demand anything you want,but there is not a cop behind every car in america watching if you are breaking the law or not. so, enforcement is hard to do alone
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote