Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2023, 08:31 AM   #1
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Refer Problem Update and more

Current update: Water problem fixed, loose connections. Ceiling fan, Pull chain for light went south. As for the Electrical, Appointment made to have repaired when I get home.
Sorry for the long post:
Refer has been working fine. Few days ago, after arriving at campsite I had an electrical problem. Lost power to half of the coach. Had this problem a couple of weeks ago, where one of the legs pulled out of the prong for the plug on the 50amp cord. Fixed that, worked fine. So yesterday after the problem, I pulled apart the plug and found that the Neutral wire had been rubbing against the ground wire and shorted out. It fried the Neutral wire pretty good. Trying to wrestle that 50amp cord and peel back the wire cover, I decided just to get a new cord. Got power.

Got everything set up. Found out one of my Wally’s, would not work, and this morning found out the refer is not cooling. I have power to the refer, light is on inside, the control panel is on, but no cooling on electric, propane is cooling. Upon posting, and responses, it was probably the 5amp fuse on the circuit board. Replaced it, still have the problem, no AC cooling.
Update: I was able to get a new circuit board and a new Wally, but leery about installing. Here is why.
Arrived back in Cali. At the rv park. Parking the rig in the spot, so that the truck can stay in front, the new 50amp cord is not long enough. No problem I have a 50amp extension cord. Hook it up, no power at all to the coach. I have never used to ext cord before. Just because it is new, means that it will work. So unhook it, pulled the trailer forward so the new 50amp cord will reach. Plugged in, got power. Finish set outside, went inside to set up. Fired up the Sat controller, so it could find the Sats. Then set everything else up. Sats were found, so turned on the TV so that I could change my local stations. Oh, the wally would not turn on and I noticed the red light on the dvd player was not lit, it would not turn on.
How I can tell it I have power inside the coach, is after the surge protector it plugged in and it shows that the power is good. I plugged in the 50 amp cord. The I check inside to make sure I have power. From the first power cord problem. I determined that which half of the coach is powered by which leg. So, to check I turn on the ceiling fan light, if it lights, good. Then check the light over the bathroom sink, turn on good.
So, this time when I did this, power to bathroom ok. Power to ceiling fan?, light would not come on, but the fan would work. All worked the day before. Maybe loose wire for the lights, still have to check that out. And to top it off, leaving yesterday, I discovered wet carpet in the cabinet where the washer dryer would go. I just use it as storage. No water on the inside wall of the cabinet, but there is an access panel, so I will be looking into that today.

Old 07-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Are we having fun yet?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Oh yes, so much fun.
Old 07-08-2023, 05:05 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Greg, just thinking out loud but aren't all your lights 12 volt?
Checking each leg of the 120 using a 12 volt light shouldn't really work, if so. You need to find an outlet to plug into or another appliance that is on each leg to test. I know your's is a 2006 model, so I'm guessing the ceiling fan light may be 120vac but the bathroom light is probably 12vdc right?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:05 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The ceiling fan is 120. The are lights, in my rig above the mirror, in the bathroom that are 120 also. Those are the only 120 lights, all the rest are 12v
Old 07-08-2023, 08:25 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup, early 200n models had 120V lights over the bathroom sink. That is what was in my 2005 2955RL and my friends 2004 2950RK.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 04:32 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
The ceiling fan is 120. The are lights, in my rig above the mirror, in the bathroom that are 120 also. Those are the only 120 lights, all the rest are 12v
Well at least that makes it very easy to check power on both legs then.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote