Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
jeepman71
Established Member

M.O.C. #27401
Hydraulic leak, what is this

I have two plugs at the top of this block that have recently started leaking hydraulic fluid. I am curious why this would start leaking without having removed or adjusted the screws. I am guessing that the two plugs are just plugs. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73A26623-0CE6-4946-BEA0-DC1864A6A11C.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	12046   Click image for larger version

Name:	37C6CC7C-9318-4270-AEA9-70768F9F8708.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	12047  

jeepman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
The bottom plug appears to have the o-ring not correctly seated, who knows on the top one.

Best best would be to remove the plug and install a new o-ring.

As to why they start leaking, that's how it works, stuff doesn't leak, then it does.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Before you remove the plugs to replace the O rings, I would hitch your truck and retract everything to take any pressure off the system.
It would be a bad thing if you removed that plug and the jacks go down.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like stated ... you popped an O-ring at least on the obvious one. It happens once in a while especially if the ftg is slightly loose. I can't tell if it is your slide manifold or your level-up manifold, so to be safe, hook your truck up to your fiver before you start the fix. If your levelers are electric instead of hydraulic ... no need for the truck deal. Just remove the plug with an allen wrench slowly because there will be a bit of pressure in the system, source replacement O-rings, reinstall the plugs. You don't need any sealant as that is what the O-ring's function is. You also need to tighten the plugs but not reef on them with all your might.

It also looks like you have a bit of seepage on the 3 lines that show red under the hex of the fittings. Use 2 wrenches, one for the ftg on the manifold and the other for the end of the hyd line and tighten them up a bit more. Again there is no need for sealant here as these type of ftgs do not seal on the threads, but on the metal taper when the two parts join. In the end with all your slides in and your landing gear up .. the level of fluid in your reservoir should be about 1" below the top.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:57 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The manifold block that you are having the leak at is where all the return lines (BLACK ONES) are routed so that the BLUE pressure switch can sense the system pressure and shut pump off if pressure is exceeded...

The two plugs that are leaking are just that... extra holes .. remove the plugs and replace the orings... any auto parts store should have a selection of orings in their open bin trays..

the fitting at the top right on this block is a QD for using a pressure reading gauge or bulk refill and purge used at the factory
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
jeepman71
Established Member

M.O.C. #27401
Thanks for the replies. I thought they were plugs for additional lines and feel much more confident about replacing the o-rings.
Jim
jeepman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Before you remove the plugs to replace the O rings, I would hitch your truck and retract everything to take any pressure off the system.
It would be a bad thing if you removed that plug and the jacks go down.
Easier said than done, then you do not have much room to work. I replaced lines on the front left leg of our rig and put a hydraulic jack on the frame to take pressure off that leg, and had no issues.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You were fortunate to do so. If you trace the hyd lines of your front two jacks, you'll find that they are not totally independent of one another.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote