Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
WDR

M.O.C. #21483
Angry Wire between t-stat and control board

Hi Folks,
I have a 3285RL last fall hvac worked normally,
This spring nothing works. I found the the wire leaving the ccc2 t-stat severed 6 feet up in the wall- ceiling.
Any idea how to change it from what I read on here it goes to the rear a/c first.
Why it's severed is a mystery.
Thank you
Bill

WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am not sure what you are asking. "Any idea how to change it....". What is it? the thermostat or the wiring? If it were me, I would splice the wires back together (adding wire if needed).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #3
WDR

M.O.C. #21483
Hi Carl, I found the wire what looks like the telephone wire severed, what came outta the wall was 6 feet long. Nothing to connect to. And I don't know why it was severed. It worked last fall. Thinking of calling Keystone to see if they have a wireless t-stat and interface board.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
WDR - what year model is your RV?
Is it the thermostat for the living room AC or the front AC?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:51 AM   #5
WDR

M.O.C. #21483
Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding. I have a 3582RL 2013.
It has the dual a/c's with the ccc2 t-stat which is the one that has the control wire that looks like a phone wire coming from what I believe the rear a/c.
Last camping season all worked fine, this spring I was prepping it for the season and wanted to take the chill out of the camper and I had no display on the t-stat. At the time I didn't realize how the stat communicated with system.
So when I removed the stat I found the communication/ power wire was severed about 6 feet up the wall/ ceiling. I'm baffled how to change the wire.
Thanks
Bill
I will try to post a picture of the end of the wire.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:07 AM   #6
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The telephone cable from the back of your thermostat is serving TWO purposes..
1. The Red/Black wires supply 12 VDC to the thermostat from the Zone 1 Roof AC control board

2. The Green/Yellow wires are used for the CANBUS lines .. this is how the thermostat talks back and forth to the following

Zone 1 roof AC is where the thermostat cable wires into
THis is then piggy backed up to the front AC ( Zone 2)
The furnace control signal wires ( both BLUE ) are also at the Zone 1 AC roof module

The wires can be spliced if can find the other end. If you cant then you will have to fish a new telephone cable from Zone 1 roof AC unit to the thermostat

NOTE... THIS CABLE IS NOT wired like a normal house 4 wire telephone cable so be aware you will need at attach the two plug ends accordingly..

This image shows you how the telephone ends are to be wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (272).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	11930  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
WDR

M.O.C. #21483
Hello,
I bought the cable from Amazon, I will begin the arduous task of fishing the new wire up and through the ceiling.

Thanks everyone
Old 03-17-2024, 09:20 AM   #8
dh0706

M.O.C. #34072
Wire run

I have the same issue. I have made a new cable and tests just fine. Does anyone have any tips on best to run an entirely new cable? When I try to pull the existing from the wall or from rooftop unit it is tight/snagged? TIA!
dh0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:36 AM   #9
WDR

M.O.C. #21483
Hello DH0706,
I ended up splicing mine back together, having the length attached to the t-stat I had a rough idea how far up in the ceiling it was. the big snag I found was pulling the wire. I found that above the closet or optional laundry center just as you come in the outside door, above the ceiling the interior wall was not relieved enough to pull the wire that's where my snag was. I used an oscillating tool to open up at the ceiling enough of a opening to cut out that material so I could pull the wire back in and splice. I used the vent opening to locate the wires I needed.
Mice dam critters. only had them once what destruction they can do.
Good luck
Bill
Old 03-17-2024, 10:05 AM   #10
dh0706

M.O.C. #34072
Stat Location

Thx for that. However my TSTAT is on the back of a cabinet wall in the living room area. It is not near the laundry center by entry door. Model is a 2008 3400RL
dh0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:29 PM   #11
WDR

M.O.C. #21483
I looked up your model but couldn't figure out were your stat actually is. I guess if you can access the cable from inside the cabinet you may find the same problem I did.