Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Need your input, please?

My Montana High Country has the Razzar television antenna on the roof. It's a good antenna. I have no issues with it..... except for the BUT!

It pulls in television reception great. It turns manually from inside the camper on the ceiling. BUT! this is my second one that is now broken.

The first one broke right at the 1 year mark and warranty replaced it with a new one. The plastic shaft that runs from the turn handle inside the camper to the actual antenna itself broke. Warranty and Razzar were great and getting me another identical one. And, like I've said, we've been very pleased with it and the reception we get.

The second one lasted until just a few weeks ago (over 2 more years) and has worked very well for us. I do like this antenna. BUT, the second one broke in the same spot, that plastic shaft connecting the turn knob inside the camper to the actual antenna.

OK, my warranty is now long gone, so now I'll need to purchase a new antenna. And I'm really struggling about buying another one identical to it, with the same flawed plastic shaft that doesn't hold up. Why they didn't make that a metal shaft is beyond me. But, I'm not getting another one, just to have it fail again in a year or two.

So, the question is, What would be a good alternative television antenna to replace this one with. My camper does not have the In-Command system or anything like that. The system is still old-school, it has a power booster with the green light and a push on-off button.

In my previous trailers, they all had the old fashioned bat-wing antennas. I really do not want to go back to that one, although I do believe they actually were the best.

So, thoughts please from anyone who's maybe swapped out antennas? What worked, what did not work so well.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Can you use a piece of PVC pipe instead of the plastic shaft?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Mine broke, too. I replaced mine with the Winegard 360+. Nothing to turn or aim plus antennas for 4G and Wifi. There are other omnidirectional antennas for just the TV as well. They seem to work well. But, personally, I would replace it with an option with non-moving parts. YMMV

We put this one on my friend's trailer and he typically pulls in 4-5 more channels that I do.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA1000-O...2&sr=8-14&th=1
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Ya what Jeff said! A Winegard 360! Standard on new Monty's. Love it!
Old 05-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If this is a Furion antenna, it may have been recalled. https://www.rvnews.com/nhtsa-issues-...1-866-425-4369.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:18 AM   #6
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
our's lasted 4-years,new one just arrived need to install. poor design for sure

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thank-you everyone for your thoughts and input. After reading the reviews and information on the internet about the antennas mentioned above, I was a bit discouraged. Although they seem to be very good and have a great range, they require 12 volt electric power, and the location of my antenna on my Montana has no wiring. The closest 12 volt wire are the puck-lights in the ceiling. But they are all on an on-off-switch (cabin lights).

It's raining in Central Indiana today, and can't do anything outside, so i decided to go ahead and pull the turn-handle on the antenna from the ceiling. I did, and found out that plastic shaft itself is not broken. It's broken on the actual turn handle. It's the part that slips inside that plastic shaft.

I took the handle to my local RV dealership parts store and to my pleasant surprise had another turn handle. They actually took the one off their display. I got it for $14.00.

So, I came back home and installed it. No need to swap out anything on the roof, have to deal with old caulking, matching screw holes and repairing the roof where the old came off and the new would go. Simple. This worked out much nicer than expected. I do like the Razzar antenna, it does work well.

So, here's some photos.

The first is new push-turn-handle that rotates the antenna from inside the camper on the ceiling. The other thing is the original shaft that connects the turn handle to the antenna itself.

Here's a photo of the same new turn-handle turned over, showing the part that broke off the old one. I don't think any glue would have held it. Those plastic "wings" would have never held.

Here's the hole from inside the camper. The red lines shows the same "slot" that the inside of the tube-shaft has to catch. Also, if you notice, when I removed the handle the first time, a couple years ago, I glued and screwed in small 1/4 inch backer boards inside that hole so the screws would have something solid to screw into again. You can see them sticking over the edge of the hole.

Here is the turn-handle re-installed. I placed a piece of tape on the 'wing' that is pointing the direction of the antenna on the roof. This way, I always know which way the antenna is actually pointing.

Here's a photo of the kitchen-front living room ceiling. The red line shows where the antenna knob is.

While on this subject, I'd like to throw a couple other things "out there" for anyone who may be interested. Here is how I determine which direction the antenna should be pointed, especially since we never stay in one spot very long.

First, I use a compass, or an app on my phone to find North.

After that, I use whatismyzip.com on my phone to find the zip code I'm currently in. If you travel to new spots, it's not always knows what the actual zip code is where you land for the night, or the weekend.

After getting the zip code, I use AntennasDirect.com. The app let's you put your zip code in and an area map will appear showing you which direction the television stations are located and an approximate distance. Knowing which direction is North now, I just simply turn the antenna in that direction. The tape of the handle let's me know which direction that antenna on the roof is actually pointing.

The Razzar has some good built in omni-direction capability. So the aim does not need to be exact. It does a great job.

So, in a way, I'm very pleased I had an easy fix and it only cost me $14, a little time researching, and asking a few questions to the right people. On the negative side, I still have an antenna with moving parts. But for $14.00, I'll hang in there a bit longer with this one!

Thank-you again everyone. I do appreciate all your help.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
write to razzar and explain and make an improvement suggestion...you may get another antenna
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Thanks for the write up.
I use the Winegard app for pointing the TV antenna and satellite dish.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Are you sure about needing 12v? I don't think that's accurate. If all you need is a good TV antenna then the King I referenced wouldn't require 12v at the antenna. It's already run to the booster at your TV. It's just connecting the coax cable.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:29 AM   #11
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Are you sure about needed 12v? I don't think that's accurate. If all you need is a good TV antenna then the King I referenced wouldn't require 12v at the antenna. It's already run to the booster at your TV. It's just connecting the coax cable.
I used one of those once and it worked fine. No external power as you said.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #12
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
I thought I was the only one

Mine broke a year ago. Tried a flat in the window antenna, that was a waste.

I would be willing to buy the new "shaft", but WHERE?

I hate having to replace things that should not need to be replaced.

That being said, if someone can direct me towards a place I can get the shaft, I would be forever in your debt
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:36 PM   #13
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
...That being said, if someone can direct me towards a place I can get the shaft, I would be forever in your debt
With that antenna seems like you already got the shaft...

Sorry, it was tee'd up so well
Old 05-11-2022, 08:59 PM   #14
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
With that antenna seems like you already got the shaft...

Sorry, it was tee'd up so well
Ouch, true, but Ouch
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:03 AM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Mine broke twice. Once a shaft and once the whole unit was ripped off by a tree limb. I would prefer the unit to lay flat on the roof and be able to crank up when needed. The first time I did make a shaft my self out of PVC pipe.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote