Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Mayberry

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to Mayberry campground in Mt Arie N.C. . I’ve looked them up on campground reviews but I like to hear what y’all have to say.

Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Following. I was thinking of stopping there on the way home in the spring. We’ll be going up 77 and it’s close by.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have stopped there several times for a quick overnite. Pull-thru sites angled for easy entry, plus they're a PassPort America park.
Want to stop again and spend a few days visiting areas of the Andy Griffith Show and maybe ride in the Mayberry Police Car.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I read this post earlier today and talked to the wife. So, we just booked a week at Mayberry (April 3 through April 10).

We driven past Mount Arie several times traveling from Indiana to Charlotte, NC and every time we pass by there, I keep telling the wife, I'd really like to spend a few days there (around Mount Arie). For one, I still enjoy the original Andy Griffith show. And for two, that part of North Carolina is absolutely gorgeous! So, we decided we'd spend a week there and explore.

We will be traveling on from April 10 to April 24 for 2 weeks at Union County Cane Creek Park near Waxhaw, NC (South and West of Charlotte).

Just for an FYI, if anyone is interested, feel free to check out TAGSRWC. What is that? (The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watcher's Club). Click here!

For years, George Lindsey was still connected to TAGSRWC and did public appearances as a spokesmen for the club. If anyone is also interested, pluto on Roku Television has an Any Griffith channel (510) that plays nothing but the 8 seasons of Andy Griffith reruns.

Or Click here to go to pluto television and watch from your computer. Or click here instead to go directly to the show.

I'm looking forward to this week in April now! Thanks Trevor for raising this question and jogging my memory that this is one place I wanted to visit and CAN now since retirement (a week ago). I'm booking em' out ... little bits at a time!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Glad I could help! If we make it this year it will probably be in the fall but not sure yet.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:10 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We pass through there several times a year going from Florida to West Virginia. I never knew that was there. Have to check it out.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We've been stopping there for the last 13 years and had a rally there several years ago. Great place. The great grandson of one of the original siamese twins, Eng and Chang Bunker ownes the campground. Look up their history.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:51 AM   #8
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
We booked a few days there in October yesterday afternoon. It’s going to be a long drive but we’re excited about going.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #9
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Mt. Airy has the worlds largest open pit granite mine that can be from the ISS.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Trevor,

We arrived at Mayberry Campground earlier today. For what it's worth, it's everything you see in the photos on their web site. No trees anywhere, all open sun campsites. New fresh gravel over the entire campground roads and campsites. No asphalt anywhere. Temperature is in the low 60's today here, and the trailer has warmed up a lot. Coming from near freezing, horrible windy Indiana, we are sweating already. It' snice to feel something warm though.

I heard some folks talking in the office attempting to book a reservation. The teenage son was commenting on how there is nothing to do at this campground, and his parents were quick to respond, "That's the reason we are here."

The campground is very clean, neat, appears to be well organized. Campsites are adequate size, but we've been in bigger, and smaller. All the sites have fire pits and we had to request a picnic table to brought to our site. I don't know know why the sites don't have picnic tables and you have to request one. But, we've been in stranger places. They'll deliver one tomorrow (Monday).

This is not a place to ride bicycles. The gravel is course gravel. It's hard enough to just drive on, let alone, peddle on. The campground is built on the side of a slope, and it's been terraced. So, there are levels that kind of look down on the level below. At first it looked like the campsite would be horrible unlevel. But when backing in, I was amazed the actual campsite pad was dead-spot on level. The camper beside us said his was perfectly level too.

All sites have full hook-ups. The cost is reasonable. Wall Mart is less than 2 miles away, and Mount Aire is right here. I think the attraction is Mount Aire itself. Looking at the travel literature, there is a lot to see and do here. But this type of "entertainment" might not be for everyone as most of it centers around Andy Griffith and the Andy Griffith show from the 1960's.

We'll have a better feel for a lay of the land by tomorrow, but as far as being on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it about a 9. 1/2 point for not having trees, 1/2 point for everything being gravel. But over all, it's really a nice campground. I suppose it all boils down to what one is looking for.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:03 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Enjoy your stay!

Be sure and take the squad tour as it will give you a lot of information about the area. Oh and don't forget the "Snappy Lunch" with the famous pork-chop sandwich.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Trevor,
Here's some photos of the campground taken over the last few days. Hope you enjoy these. I will say, after being here, the management of this campground works very hard to keep things nice, clean, and in working order. Mowing grass, grinding level the dips in the gravel pad when campers leave, repairs and improvements going on in different parts of the campground. I've very impressed with this campground.

Pilot Mountain State Park is about a 20 minute drive. We visited there too. It is absolutely worth it to drive to the very top of the overlook! But ... NOT towing a trailer!

Our Campsite:

Old 04-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I agree with the above, fwiw. We were there for 3 days last week, and I can see us staying there again on our homeward migration again next year. Clean, friendly, easy in, easy out.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My neighbor spends several weekends a year in this CC and loves it. We are only a couple hours from it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:46 PM   #15
Option 65
Established Member

M.O.C. #23154
Dutchmen
How long (time and/miles) from Anderson to that campground?
Thanks
Option 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #16
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Dutchman, thanks for all the pictures and info. We have reservations for 4 nights there in mid October, but if the price of fuel doesn’t go down then we’ll have to cancel and go somewhere closer.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:18 AM   #17
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 65 View Post
Dutchmen
How long (time and/miles) from Anderson to that campground?
Thanks
Actual drive time is right at 8 hours from Anderson, Indiana to Mount Airy, NC. I think our actual drive time was closer to 10 hours as I drive around 55-60 mph. Our travel day is usually longer than the 5 hours because we stop at ever road side attraction along the way, rest areas, and food. We enjoy taking our time.

We drove from Anderson to Milton, WV and stayed at the Huntington-Fox Fire KOA the first night, and then drove the remaining distance the next day.

Our route was simple. From where we live, we too Highway 38 through Pendleton, Indiana to Richmond, Indiana. At Richmond we picked up on I-70 to Dayton, Ohio. At Dayton we hit I-75 South to US Highway 35, which goes through Washington Court House, OH and Chillicothe, Oh and on to Charleston, WV. At Charleston US 35 and I-77 merge and followed I-77 to Mount Airy. The campground is is right at Exit 11.

Tomorrow (Sunday), we'll be leaving for Cane Creek County Park, near Waxhaw, NC (Union County, NC), South of Charlotte. We'll follow I-77 and work our way through Charlotte to Waxhaw. Cane Creek Park, Union County, Ohio Driving time is about 3.5 hours from Mount Airy to this campground. We were at this campground last year and absolutely loved it too.

FYI, yesterday (Friday), I met with a fellow named Will Morris. He's the park ranger / manager at Pilot Mountain State Park. (15 minutes away from Mount Airy). I had a very delightful and informative meeting with him. I'll be the campground host there for the month of August this year.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #18
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Depending on traffic our drive time will also be 8hrs+/- not counting fuel and food stops. I’m planning on leaving our house at 4 a.m. and we should miss most of the traffic in Nashville and Knoxville, and get to mt airey at a decent time.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:49 AM   #19
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We liked the park.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #20
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
DutchmenSport's evaluation of the campground is pretty much spot on. We had a pull-thru that was plenty long enough for a 41 ft RV and my crew cab dually.
We were in the uppermost terrace to the left as you enter. Our site gave a nice view of the whole campground. The Eng and Chang house is in the campground. The cemetery where they are buried is close by. Took a bit of time to find the grave site. The "town" of Mayberry was quaint. Not a lot to do in the immediate area due to when we went which was 8 Aug - 11 Aug 2020. COVID-19! Lot of stuff closed.

There was an earthquake on 9 Aug 202, centered in Sparta, NC. It was a 5.1 magnitude. We were in the RV at the time and it felt like someone hit the RV with a truck. Not my first earthquake but first with the RV.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote