Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #41
WhatExit?
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28356
Just wondering if there’s any consensus about the best trailer tire?

Maybe that’s been covered in another thread and if so please share a link as it’s an issue for all of us at some point

WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #42
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Dan,

Up until the failures leading to this recall, I believe most would have said Sailun. Appears there is no longer a clear consensus.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:48 PM   #43
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Lots of opinions...not sure about an actual consensus though.
Goodyear G614s were highly regarded and often used up until the last year or so (and many still like them). I ran them for about 3 years with zero problems. Unfortunately, they seem to be having more frequent failures than we want to see...
Then the Sailuns became the new "go to" tires and are still highly regarded by most in spite of this recall.
I am running these now, but mine will be replaced under the recall soon.
Do your homework, read reviews and make sure you get the right size and load rating (duh!).
There are quite a few different brands out there right now in the G load rating (or even H rating) for the typical 16" wheel size that are on most Montanas.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #44
Guitarpicr
Established Member

M.O.C. #28483
I bought 5 new Sailuns last year with 2021 date codes so I guess I got lucky. I priced the Goodyear G14's (which is what was on it originally in 2015) also at that time & they were over double the price, FWIW
Old 01-09-2022, 08:12 AM   #45
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I still think what ever Goodyears cost is not an issue to me. When the MSRP of the 5th wheel is over $100,000+ I only want the tires that I have used since 2005. Only had one tire issue, the Keystone Cambridge had bad aluminum wheels, they cracked. I replaced them with Alcoa Aluminums wheels, Keystone paid the entire amount. The Goodyear was not the issue. If we continue to travel in the 2121 Montana 3762BP, I will most likely up Grade the wheels to 17.5's and buy the Goodyear G114's. I have also used the G114's on Mobiles Suites we have owned. Good luck with your choice. I'm running G614's now I remove the Sailuns which have about 1,800 miles on those. This is my opinion which is based on RVing since 2005. Been thru or stayed in 44 States.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:53 AM   #46
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I still think what ever Goodyears cost is not an issue to me. When the MSRP of the 5th wheel is over $100,000+ I only want the tires that I have used since 2005. Only had one tire issue, the Keystone Cambridge had bad aluminum wheels, they cracked. I replaced them with Alcoa Aluminums wheels, Keystone paid the entire amount. The Goodyear was not the issue. If we continue to travel in the 2121 Montana 3762BP, I will most likely up Grade the wheels to 17.5's and buy the Goodyear G114's. I have also used the G114's on Mobiles Suites we have owned. Good luck with your choice. I'm running G614's now I remove the Sailuns which have about 1,800 miles on those. This is my opinion which is based on RVing since 2005. Been thru or stayed in 44 States.

Happy Trails.
Based on Rving since the late 70's , my first fifth wheel 2003, Sailun has had the best track record for me . Yes I have ran Goodyears in the past when they were basically the only game in town for G rated tire ,overpriced ,and definitely overrated , especially around 2008. I remember getting a set on around 2009 , and there were two G614's that had failed ,and getting replaced while I was there at the tire shop, very heart warming

Its unfortunate this bad batch of Sailuns out of Vietnam turned out to be bad. To Sailuns credit ,they are recalling all of them ,which I may point out is the subject of this thread ,not Goodyear ,but since you have brought it up again

I will continue to go with Sailun , based on my experience with them, currently running a set on my fifth wheel, and when they age out I will go again with them.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #47
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Tires are like trucks and many other things. We have our favorite brand and that is what we stick with.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #48
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
Tires are like trucks and many other things. We have our favorite brand and that is what we stick with.
Yes many things are a favorite ,but IMO tires is not one of them. I base a tire on performance . Currently running Toyo AT2's on my truck, not at all impressed with them , they are expensive not a great wearing tire . Yet they are the favorite of many that continue to run set after set . I will give some Coopers a try this next go around ,or possibly the Sailun Terramax AT's .
Old 01-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #49
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
My Sailun tires are being replaced.
I had a third party install the original Sailuns at a cost of $140, (truck tire service)
I will need to go back to them to have the new Sailuns installed, who pays for the installation of the new tires??
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #50
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Yes many things are a favorite ,but IMO tires is not one of them. I base a tire on performance . Currently running Toyo AT2's on my truck, not at all impressed with them , they are expensive not a great wearing tire . Yet they are the favorite of many that continue to run set after set . I will give some Coopers a try this next go around ,or possibly the Sailun Terramax AT's .
However, someone else might be running Toyo AT2's and they hate them and think they are the worst. We see that all the time, some love Sailun and that is their favorite and others love Goodyear and that is their favorite.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
Old 01-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #51
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
However, someone else might be running Toyo AT2's and they love them and think they are the best. We see that all the time, some love Sailun and that is their favorite and others love Goodyear and that is their favorite.

I believe if you read my reply just once more you will see ,that I said that same thing about Toyo's.

Tires IMO are not based on favorites ,but again on performance.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #52
gmstrom
Site Team

M.O.C. #11318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
This is all well and good but did they say they fixed the manufacturing problem. And wondering if this applies to the 85 series tires not just the 80`s. I`m going to hold off buying new tires till next year and let the smoke clear on this issue. Or go to the new Hankook tires.
Looking at the official document, the manufacturer fixed the problem on week 42 of 2020 (DOT Week 4220).
gmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:47 PM   #53
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Quote:
I believe if you read my reply just once more you will see ,that I said that same thing about Toyo's.

Tires IMO are not based on favorites ,but again on performance.
My error, I meant to say someone else may not like the Toyo's. You like them based on your performance, making them a favorite tire. If I had them and didn't think the performance, They would not be my favorite.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
Old 01-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #54
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Toyo's was great for my use, had two front tires on the Freightliner Sports chassis, I hit a Bush hog, and ripped the side out, of one Michelin, I replace them both with Toyo's. Had no issues. Actually never had to balance them. However, I prefer Michelin's for my Trucks. The Toyo's were priced well, my friend runs a Tire shop and does ALL my tire work, said if I didn't like the Toyo's bring them back and we would put Michelins back again, and he does my oil changes, also. This is MY experience, other's may have different opinions or experience, so be it.

Actually, my friend who owns the tire shop has the Sailuns I removed, from the 2021 Montana 3762BP, going to sell them, I have since told him to only sell them for someone who owns a equipment trailer. I don't want them put on another RV. My beliefs and idea only.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #55
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
I have run Toyo tires for the last 20 years and the last two sets I was just not getting the mileage that I thought I should form them...

Switched from the Toyo AT series to the Cooper HT series... Tire wear is night and day significantly better with the HT series and they are less noisy

I have also towed twice in the snow .. 3 inches or so when weather turned unexpectedly while over in Montana.. The traction was very good when pulling the fifth wheel in the snow...

We have also just had about 6 inches of snow this year that then froze laving the roads icy.. Had not driven these HT series tread pattern on snow ice covered roads...

I find the traction with the Duramax diesel to be very good, the tires are wearing night and day better now on their third year with tons of tread left... By now with the AT series I would have started looking at a new set in May... Not so with the Cooper HT series...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #56
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I have run Toyo tires for the last 20 years and the last two sets I was just not getting the mileage that I thought I should form them...

Switched from the Toyo AT series to the Cooper HT series... Tire wear is night and day significantly better with the HT series and they are less noisy

I have also towed twice in the snow .. 3 inches or so when weather turned unexpectedly while over in Montana.. The traction was very good when pulling the fifth wheel in the snow...

We have also just had about 6 inches of snow this year that then froze laving the roads icy.. Had not driven these HT series tread pattern on snow ice covered roads...

I find the traction with the Duramax diesel to be very good, the tires are wearing night and day better now on their third year with tons of tread left... By now with the AT series I would have started looking at a new set in May... Not so with the Cooper HT series...
Those Coopers I was looking at were the Discoverer AT3 XLT , they have a 60K warranty ,where most others including the HT's are the 50K.

I found the Toyo AT2's quiet , stayed balanced very well , but they wore out a bit faster then expected ,being supposedly a 50K tire . Mine are pretty much done ,and not yet 40K on them. I didn't expect to see 50K ,but thought I would get an honest 40K out of them . They were rotated every 5k also. They are wearing evenly ,so no issue there , just a little faster than I thought for such a high quality ,and expensive tire .

A friend , full timer, ran a set of Sailun Terramax AT4S , he said they wore a little faster then some , but no worse than my Toyo's . They are considerably cheaper than Toyo's . Also considering he tows with his truck all the time, where I do not. I should see a bit better mileage out of my tires than he does . As said it will either be Coopers or Sailun . Those Copper AT3 XLT's are a fairly new tire on the market I heard .
Old 01-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #57
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
Just wondering if there’s any consensus about the best trailer tire?

Maybe that’s been covered in another thread and if so please share a link as it’s an issue for all of us at some point
Over the last year and a half and about 30,000 miles we have put our China made Sailuns through hell and back over the worst pavement in the USA as well as many, many, miles of gravel and washboard. So far so good. That being said I check them every time we stop for tread issues.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote