Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Happy camper question

We use Happy Camper in our toilets. The HC product we have is over a year old (we bought the Costco sized container). Today I put some in the bowls and the water turned yellow brown. We’re in the Catskills NY. I can detect the smell of Chlorine from the faucets. I didn’t know if it was a chemical reaction, the cleaning product or something else.

Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've used Happy Camper in our black tanks for over 11 years of full timing without any issues. It's a product with enzymes so turning color in water would make sense, but I don't see how something you're putting down your black tank can effect the water in your faucets. Clorine there is most likely from the water treatment wherever you are. Even The Ranch in New Mexico, were we own a lot, uses a small amount of chlorine in the water after it's purified with reverse osmosis. The clorine is necessary because you can't be sure the distribution pipes are not leaking and bacteria getting into the system that way.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I always dump straight into tank and not the water. Are you using any filters on incoming water? Is the smell in hot and cold or just in one? Review RV filters, some might limit chlorine smell.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:24 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John, I've been using Happy Camper for years and have never had the problem you've described. I've had several tubs of Happy Camper for several years and I thought I had a problem with it going inactive. I called the number on the tub and talked to one of their reps and he told me to take a scoop of the powder and put it in my hand. He said to take some water and dribble it on the powder. If it got hot it is fully active and if not it is dead. I had to drop the powder nearly as soon as I dribbled the water on it since it got warm and then hot. With what you are describing it sounds to me that there is a problem with the water there. They may be a heavier dose of chlorine in their system but I don't know about the color change. Are you running a water softener system or have you purchased a new filter system for the unit?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #5
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Rondo. Thanks for the tip. It's always been chalk white when mixing with water. Yesterday was the first time it turned color. I have a 2 canister filtering system but that has never affected anything. I have noticed the water here in the mountains have a stronger chlorine taste and smell. I'll try the water test and see what happens.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sometimes after a water system has had maintenance performed they will add extra chlorine to sanitize the system in case any impurities found their way in.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote