Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #21
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Slides

We took I into the dealer. After three months and $5000 the slides work great now. If only Keystone took quality as seriously as they do profits, it would be a great company. These slides came out of the factory jacked up and they didn't care.

tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
5000! What on earth did they do to them?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #23
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
fortunately I had Good Sam and they paid for all but $1600. It took way longer than I was told though it came in their mentioned budget.
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #24
Sandltaylor

M.O.C. #24344
Dining Room slide

When we took out our Montana the third time and were planning on traveling this year, we noticed the black poly material had worn down to the plywood. We contacted Montana and they told us to take it to a dealer to get it repaired, which we did, and two weeks later, picked up the 5th wheel and continued with our traveling. After opening the slide approximately 3 times, we noticed that the same thing was happening again. We contacted Montana and they suggested we take it back to the repair facility, but unfortunately we were back on the road. Montana was okay with that and said to take it to another repair facility at our convenience. We did this and they told us that Montana was not going to warranty the problem with the slide. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how was it remedied?
Sandltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #25
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The material on the underside of your slide is called darco. Do a search for darco and there are lots of threads about this subject.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #26
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandltaylor View Post
When we took out our Montana the third time and were planning on traveling this year, we noticed the black poly material had worn down to the plywood. We contacted Montana and they told us to take it to a dealer to get it repaired, which we did, and two weeks later, picked up the 5th wheel and continued with our traveling. After opening the slide approximately 3 times, we noticed that the same thing was happening again. We contacted Montana and they suggested we take it back to the repair facility, but unfortunately we were back on the road. Montana was okay with that and said to take it to another repair facility at our convenience. We did this and they told us that Montana was not going to warranty the problem with the slide. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how was it remedied?

I hate to hear your situation - I've lived it multiple times. This may get a bit long but I hope those living with the darco problem will pay attention.

Keystone does not believe they have a problem with darco - it's a good solution for what they use it for (slide bottoms). They think so because it does not show up on their "top 5" of warranty issues they discuss monthly. Obviously that would be correct because as I told them, generally it manifests at about 18 months. This new trailer started on the first trip but I knew what to look for after those "previous years" spending thousands out of pocket to remedy the situations. IMO every single person with a darco problem within about a 3 year timeline should be hammering on Keystone's door complaining.

For your situation it sounds like you reported it within the warranty period. I figure the 2nd refusal is because Keystone will not warrant the problem again once fixed - it is on the repairing facility to rectify their improper repair. You need to push that on them. The issue will be, I'm sure, that the "repair" agreed to by the dealer and Keystone was inadequate. Keystone will go for the cheap (read wrong) repair first time every time. If your dealer doesn't rebut their proposed repair you are stuck....but so is the dealer. They should take ownership of the repairs they made - but many don't. One thing I cannot emphasize enough - the owner HAS to be involved in any repair, warranty or not. I know, and approve, everything used down to the size of a screw. They contact me before they do anything - but I am "persistent and insistent" by everyone's account.

You need to push the dealer for a proper repair - scrim tape, or tape of any kind, isn't the answer. Darco repair patches aren't either - neither can stand up to the friction of the wear bar. They will tell you Keystone "authorized" x hours and x for materials. Yes they did. The dealer should have pushed for additional hours and correct materials - just went through this.

Go straight to the dealer management; start at service manager and involve the GM or owner whichever is appropriate. Once they took on the repair job they should own it so push it hard at them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #27
Tony.

M.O.C. #30674
I'm getting my front slide fixed. Wouldn't go in. It was a cable wrapped around the othe cable and the cable is damaged.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but are we supposed to regularly spray some kind of lube on the geared racks and cables for these slides?
I believe they say no..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony. View Post
I'm getting my front slide fixed. Wouldn't go in. It was a cable wrapped around the othe cable and the cable is damaged.
what was wrong with a motor driven slide ??? No cables or schwintek?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:31 AM   #30
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
/Users/danbolduc/Desktop/Trailer [pics/20200925_115619.jpg
Old 05-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #31
Tony.

M.O.C. #30674
Hello. Cable threads were breaking and according to the fixer guy in San Antonio Tx., it had come loose.
I was very pleased with the gentleman that did numerous things to my rv.

I can get the guys name and number if someone wants it.
Thank you everyone and Stay cool.
Tony. is offline   Reply With Quote