Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
dedcapri

M.O.C. #9999
Towing Truck Tires

I'm towing a 2010 Montana Mountaineer with a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500, diesel w/ Allison Transmission, rear wheel drive. Truck is equipped with LT 245/75 R16 Bridgstone tires. Having a lot of trouble with tires spinning, getting stuck and towed. Sandy road or slightly muddy conditions and I'm stuck! Any thoughts from MOC folks? I'm a newbie and need advice before I end up calling AAA again. Thanks.

dedcapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
dedcapri,
I'm not sure different tires will do you much good. A more aggressive tread pattern may help a little in slightly muddy conditions, but will only cause you to get stuck deeper in sandy conditions.
If these are the conditions you regularly travel under, you probably should consider a 4 wheel drive truck.

Welcome to the MOC family.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Very aggressive tires or a 4wheel drive truck is about all you can do.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Pay attention to LonnieB, he da man.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Tires are not the answer. A four wheel drive truck is the answer. Make sure you get a truck with a true lock up rear dify to get the most out of it. Ford does not have one. ( Now I will take heat from the Ford boys... used to be one,,, oh well)
Welcome to a great place!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I switched my TV tires to Wranglers for the same reasons you have stated. I also use my 2500 out on the farm (besides towing the Monte and a 8X14ft hydraulic lift trailer on occasion) and had real problems out in the fields when muddy and etc. Since the change over to Wranglers I have not had any problems. I do have four wheel drive also if I need it and have to get out of any real trouble. I put the Bridgestones on the Monte. Worked out well for me since I needed tires on the Monte anyway! The tires that come on the pickups are made for highway and hardtop roads mainly and not for the sandy or muddy roads or fields. I definitely agree with Lonnie however. If those are the conditions you normally tow in with your Monte, I'd be considering a four wheel drive for sure!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

First of all welcome to the best forum on the internet where you can find out virtually almost anything you may need to know about your Montana.
We’re here to help you if we can!

I doubt this is what you want to hear but A dually along with possibly a longer wheel base will contribute to less traction in the back of a truck. There is less weight per tire therefore causing it to spin a lot easier. The weight of the camper on your truck or mud tires IMHO, may help a little but probably won’t be enough in most situations. Once you start to spin it can easily escalate into a bigger problem. Even with weight on the rear wheels there may be times you need another wheel with good traction to do the pulling. I pulled into a place once instead of backing in like I should have, so I could face some friends. When I went to leave, due to the situation I placed myself in; I had to use the four wheel drive to keep from being stuck. If you are extremely careful and avoid any of those types of situations and try to choose parks that are mostly level and solid then you may get by. However, if you are in situations like you have described a lot then I would have to agree with all of the other posts on needing a four wheel drive.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
With you getting stuck that much I would say you need to get a 4 wheel drive. You don't need it that much but when you do they are priceless.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
dedcapri
I also have 2wd, I have got stuck once, what you need to do is, before getting to deep in, lower the air down real low maybe 20-30lbs, on truck and trailer, psread the weight out and you can pul out. Also when not towing I drop the air down to 15lbs,and can go any about where.
Then you also need a air pump.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

dedcapri
I also have 2wd, I have got stuck once, what you need to do is, before getting to deep in, lower the air down real low maybe 20-30lbs, on truck and trailer, psread the weight out and you can pul out. Also when not towing I drop the air down to 15lbs,and can go any about where.
Then you also need a air pump.
You run just 15 psi in the tires on that Duramax when not towing? I would think that would damage the tires.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LonnieB owns and runs a tire business. I trust his experience and knowledge and listen to what he says.

I also agree 4x4 is probably the best answer for you. Not the cheapest, but the one most likely to solve the problem. I'm not sure why you'd need a differential locker if you're not crawling in the rocks but then I don't know much about that anyhow. All I know is my Ford 4x4's pulled my Montana out of every place it needed to after spinning wheels in 2 wheel drive. And so does this Dodge. I'm sure a 4x4 from any of the big 3 would be just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The Duramax only comes with the Eaton 11.5" locking differential. That being said, anytime I go to the beach, I shift to 4 wd. Seems to me the locking differential is a lot worse about wheel hop than a standard differential. I wouldn't be without 4 x 4; as someone previously said, it is there if you need it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
I know there are as many opinions as there are people but here's my experience and opinion. I've towed with 2WD, 4WD SRW, and now 4WD DRW. My current 4WD with DRW is superior to previous rigs in a number of ways including not getting stuck while towing. All were Dodges by the way. My theory is that DRW provides more tire surface on the ground and that helps to not sink into softer road surfaces so much. Kind of the way snow shoes work. I also now use hiway tread tires exclusively. I want the most rubber on the ground that I can for all driving conditions that I engage in. I gave up on aggressive treads (for my use) and found that my tires last longer, are quieter, and as long as I use good judgement about where I try to drive while towing my 5er I'm usually OK. I won't drive off hard road when it's wet and I won't drive on the beach or areas with soft loose sand - just my own rules. For me a 4WD and good judgement has solved my 'get stuck' history. Of course, it may be that the reason I don't get stuck anymore is not about 4WD or DRW at all. Perhaps I just learned better judement about where to not drive while towing my Montana.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote