Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Are bent axles the result of poor engineering on the part of Keystone? It would appear to me that if the 6k lbs axles and springs aren't doing the job, then Keystone should replace them with the 7klbs type. Now I'm out of Keystone warranty, should I (we all) go to Dexter and complain? I think that they won't do anything if our rigs are even slightly overweight.
Just thinking out loud again. :-)

stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

Good question. I am sure Keystone would say they are overloaded. It could also be a result of driving over curbs or rough roads, we do both. Our rig came with the 5200 axles; I replaced them with the 6000, but then our trailer is smaller and does not weigh as much as others. We have been happy with the modifications, the heavier axles and heavier springs are a benefit to us as fulltimers who might be carrying more weight than others.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stimpy, the axles used on the rigs were well within the ratings. My personal opinion is those axles have zero margin for handling overloads. As Robbie said, certain conditions can create extra stress on those axles. As can just plain being overweight.

I don't know for fact but several months after a rash of complaints on this forum about axle problems, Keystone moved from 6k axles to 7k on the larger rigs. My bet is they saw what was happening and decided it's better to go to heavier axles. After all, if potential buyers think the axles are not up to the job, they go buy the Cedar Creek or Cardinal instead. Just a good business practice.

Unfortunately for us, they went to the heavier axles on our model just 3 months after we took delivery on our current Montana. So when we had problems we had to pay for the upgrade.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #24
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
My axels have a tag on them, almost a shipping label. They were made 4/2008 and have D07 on them along with other numbers. The tag on the outside of my rig shows GARW of 6750lbs. This doesn't really make sense. If, and I say, if I am over weight or hit a rough road, then the tires would only be worn either on the outside or inside of each tire. This would mean that I have a bent axle. If one axle was not aligned, then I would have the outside of one tire and the inside of the tire on the opposite end of the axle worn. Neither of these stories match. All four of my tires are worn on both the inside and outside 1/4". I've been to an alignment shop before the replacement of the original set of tires and they told me that they saw no alignment problems. The only real change from original is the change of the pin box to an 5th Airborne by the original dealer.
See you at the rally.
Steve
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Steve,
If you are not overweight and your tires are properly inflated then your tire wear is due to poor alignment, and yes they can wear inside and out, our did. I highly recommend Hatch Alignment Doctor in St. George, UT. Quinn is very good at what he does, he fixed ours when others failed and he's reasonable. 435-652-4007 877-50align
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #26
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Charlie,
We will be at the rally in a couple of weeks and then on to Utah to see grandkids. This St. George location is familiar to us as we travel Las Vegas,Provo via I-15 so will make a stop there to have them take a look.
See you soon.
Steve