Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Caring for Gel Coat

We have just ordered our first Montana! We have looked for several years and keep coming back to the 3400RL as the best for our needs.

We do have a question. What is the best way to care for the gel coat exterior so it maintains its gloss and such?

Thanks for your advice.
Walt and Lynne

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations on the order of your new Montana!

To tell the truth, I'm not very diligent about waxing the exterior. Ours is a 2007, we took delivery in late August 2006. It has been waxed twice. I do wash it when it gets dirty. I use a wash solution that includes a wax. I currently am using the Blue Coral product but Zip Wax seems to work just as well. It leaves a light coat of wax on the rig. I do not chamois or otherwise dry the rig after washing. I do use a squeegee on the windows.

It would be best to wax more often but, man, that is a big job. I would recommend you pay more attention to the nose and the rear cap. The nose tends to dull the fastest, from what I have seen. Also, be careful with the decals. No hard scrubbing on the edges of them.

Good luck. We agree the 3400RL is an outstanding model. It works well for us. And the Montana is also an excellent choice in our opinion. This is our third Montana. We're happy. Good luck with yours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Since it is huge vehicle when considering waxing, I use Protect All. It goes on a big area very easily, comes off very easily, and also goes on rubber, vinyl, chrome, glass, etc. Of course it does not do as good a job as a true wax/polish, but the ease of application and the ability to use it on the graphics make it ideal for me. I get mine at WM and wax annually.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
On the front and rear caps I use "Nu Finish" several times a year and also to get the black streaks out from under the windows and such. But on the sides I use a product called "The Solution" which I first found at the Good Sam Rally in Oregon a few years ago. And then I picked up some more at the Quartzsite Rally this year. It works great, just spray it on and wipe it off.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, what does the Nu Finish do for the caps? Does it rejuvenate dull fibreglass? Or does it protect? Or both? Any problem with decals or do you keep Nu Finish away from the decals? I'm always looking for some way to keep that nose looking nice and right now ours is looking rather dull. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have used Meguiars auto polish in the past, but the last couple of years I have been using ProtecAll all over. My cap is starting to dull somewhat so I may try something else. In between my semi annual polish jobs I use RainX wash and wax. I do dry it off also. BTW, my decals are still looking pretty good. I have an '06 wih the Gel Coat finish. he only place hey didn' do that was the doors to the storage area, I think they are just fiberglass. I know some folks use the 303 products also with good results......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Rich, what does the Nu Finish do for the caps? Does it rejuvenate dull fibreglass? Or does it protect? Or both? Any problem with decals or do you keep Nu Finish away from the decals? I'm always looking for some way to keep that nose looking nice and right now ours is looking rather dull. Thanks.
Our rig is 4 1/2 years old and I am starting to see some portions of the decals starting to come off in various areas. I have found that the Nu Finish does a pretty good job on the caps and it is very good on the black streaks. I will usually do the caps 3 or 4 times a year. I do need to put a gutter over the back window though to help with the black streaks.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I use Mothers Carnuba wax. I wax every spring and every fall by hand. Whew!!! What a job, but I will say my 2007 looks brand new to date. I also wax the decals, and they still look new. I also used this on my 1997 36' SOB motorhome and it looked like new, when I traded it in. In fact the dealer when he looked at the motor home for trade he said I hope the interior is as nice as the outside. Told him don't worry it does.

I believe that a ton of wax does a ton of good. Thats been my experience on it anyway.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I put Nu Finish on the front cap...it should not be put on the decals.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

I use Mothers Carnuba wax. I wax every spring and every fall by hand. Whew!!! What a job, but I will say my 2007 looks brand new to date. I also wax the decals, and they still look new. I also used this on my 1997 36' SOB motorhome and it looked like new, when I traded it in. In fact the dealer when he looked at the motor home for trade he said I hope the interior is as nice as the outside. Told him don't worry it does.

I believe that a ton of wax does a ton of good. Thats been my experience on it anyway.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Do you wax over the decals?
Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
At the Fall rally, Burlington Graphics said to not put wax on the decals. I'm not sure whether they meant it is bad for the decals or if they just meant it's not necessary. Anyone else remember?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Steve, I've also had great luck with the NU Finish. I had a real dull cap, and each time I put another coat on, the dullness gets better.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:17 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Steve and All,

At the Fall Rally 2009, I felt Burlington Graphics was stating not to wax graphics due to accelerating the deterioration process not because they don't need waxing. Input from some here that wax their graphics suggest the graphics are doing fine.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, that's funny. So it didn't help restore shiny?

Thanks, Dennis. Somewhere around here I still have my notes but darned if I can remember where. What you said is what i was thinking they said. And since others are doing fine I now am even more unsure what's best.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

...........Robbie, that's funny. So it didn't help restore shiny?
My father the English teacher would not be proud of his son's sentence structure.

What I meant to say; the NU FINISH works great, and helps restore the original finish on the cap with each application.

BTW, if you had been reading past posts, you would have realized the word is "shinny".
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie, since you and I know each other rather well outside MOC, I was unsure whether your prior post was tongue-in-cheek or not! Thanks for the update. I will give nu-finish a try. By the way, in college I received an A in an English Grammar class taught by the head of the English Department. I was the only non-English major in the class and he essentially told me the first day I'd have to work my tail off if I expect to pass his class. And I did. And got the A. However, in my elder years my written word tends to the conversational rather than to the GC (grammatically correct)! I kin tell ya dint no that!