Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Shower Drain

Good Morning Its 6:30 a.m. here in Az and I just wanted to let owners know the trouble I had with the shower drain. Let me start with we have been in the high desert a little over a year now. Between New Mexico and Arizona. A couple of week ago I decided to clean out the hair from the shower drain. I have done this in the past with success. I got my battery powered drill motor out and started to unscrew it. It just kept turning,I got a small flat screw driver and used it to pry up or put pressure on the screw still wouldn't move. I got the vise grips out and got a purchase on the head of the screw and pulled it gave up and came out with a rust. Once the dust settled I saw the drain had cracked from the force I can only guess. Upon looking at the screw the hard water had eated the threads away were it used to attach and threads were there below the plastic threads in the drain. I drove the 35 miles into Tucson and got a new one at Baudrys RV it was under five dollar. While I was installin it, which takes you to be a contorsionished and tools won't fit next to the plastic nut, anyway I push hard to get the nut tight, I pulled a back mussle and it took eight or nine days to heal. My point is sometimes its better to pay to have things done. Just a little venting sorry.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
After out first trip in 2003 I replaced that screw with a stainless steel no problem since
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Randye, I found out a long time ago that I am not mechanically inclined at all. Carol calls me the "Master of Disaster!" Since we have been on the road a lot in the last few years I am getting better but if the job is even a little bit complicated, I bow to Carol's or a hired "expert's" advice and/or work.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
yep stainless screw 1 week after owning, but I do 99% of all my own and most others repairs!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
We had the same problem on our 2007 Monty 2955RL back in Dec when we were in
Salome, AZ. The drain assembly and drain pipe were cheap plastic. So I went to the
local hardware and and got a new bar sink drain basket assembly all in stainless steel.
Definitely a 2 person job to get it started. Knead up some plumbers putty into a rope
about 3/8" in diameter. Place this under the upper flange of the drain basket. I got the little woman to press down first, and then to prevent the assembly from rotating by holding it in place with the two tips of a pair of needle nose pliers. I crawled into the basement, not an easy task at 6 foot, 230 lbs and 70 years of age. I started the drain nut on the tail piece
and then used a borrowed basin wrench to do the final tightening.
Poor design here is part of the problem. They cut a 5o or 6 inch hole in the floor under the shower for assembly of the drain fittings. With the plastic drain assembly and the thin
plastic floor in the shower, there was a lot of flex which caused the fittings to loosen.
I got a can of low expansion foam, and sprayed some in between the wooden floor
and the underside of the shower. Don't allow it to come to close to the drain nut, and also
be careful not to overfill this gap, as the foam will expand and create a hump in the floor of the shower. We found that stepping on the drain caused it to flex and then it leaked.
Did this job back in early December and it is working fine now. Because this was a bar
sink drain basket, the wife periodically lifts out the little basket strainer to clean out the hair. If we own our rigs long enough we will re-design and re-engineer all the cheap and nasty things that Keystone did.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had to replace our drain after the rig was four years old. It was replaced with a metal drain because the plastic one breaks easily if you step near it. You can brace it by inserting the proper size piece of wood between the bottom of the shower floor near the drain and the subflooring.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Getting ready to do mine in a day or two,as it is leaking. Thanks guys for sharing about firming up the floor. I noticed that it was soft also. I will put a piece of wood between the tub and floor.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The advantages of belonging to this forum. We firmed up the area under the tub with heavy foam packing and replaced the drain assembly as a condition of purchase before it left the dealers lot. We knew of these things because of post on this forum..This was in 2006.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote