Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glass in the cabinet doors

It was cool but getting cold. The north wind was offering sporadic blasts. It was a good day to stay indoors. Dianna reported that the glass in one of the cabinets was about to fall out. I inspected it and found that the glue pealed off just too easily.

I pulled out Dianna's crafts hot glue gun and went to work. Then I began to inspect all the seventeen cabinet doors with either glass or mirror insets and found that nearly all of them suffered from poor gluing workmanship from Keystone's cabinet vendor.

Of the seventeen doors, I re-glued seven, had done three at an earlier time, and know I have four more to do soon. Gee, that's fourteen out of seventeen. I would hope that someone would specify a better quality glue and require a better standard of excellence for workmanship.

I guess a hot glue gun has become a staple for my tool box in making minor repairs to trim, molding, and glass doors.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, I only had to do one of those in our 3295RK and none so far in this Montana. But we do carry a hot glue gun for that and other purposes. I'd like to at least see a couple of those triangular corner pieces (metal, I think) to hold the glass in place in addition to the glue.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Those triangular things are called "Diamond Points". I had to re-glue the bathroom mirrors. I'm not so sure it was "poor gluing workmanship from Keystone's cabinet vendor" so much as humidity, temperature changes, aging of the glue, etc. I will admit, however, that those "old world craftsmen" who did ours probably failed first grade coloring (staying in the lines)!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I think you are better using Silicone more flexable than glue and better with temp changes.I repair ours 4 years ago with silicone no problem since
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...makes note to self...get some glass points...
...as a person that uses silicone everyday at work, I can tell you don't waste your money on the cheap stuff. You do get what you pay for.
The cheap stuff has low adhesion.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
"Glue gun became a staple..." nice pun, hope it was intended. Seriously, what about adhesion of the glue stick when its a really hot day with no AC? Thinking you'd might get a loose glass pane during towing.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The glue melts at 450 degrees to 600 degrees. Unless this global warming gets much more serious, I don't think that will be a problem.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 AM   #8
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kdeiss

I think you are better using Silicone more flexable than glue and better with temp changes.I repair ours 4 years ago with silicone no problem since
Silicone gets my vote as well, as I think it'll hold better than hot melt glue. I agree it's best not to scimp and settle for the cheap stuff.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote