Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master
 
DutchmenSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Anderson
Posts: 1,493
M.O.C. #22835
Can it tow it? .....

2018 Chevy Colorado, short bed, crew cab.

I've seen Chevy Colorado's towing some smaller travel trailers, they do come with a 7 pin plug for the trailer, and they do have receiver hitch. What more do you want?

Well, how about a Montana Fifth Wheel?










Well, if only this was April 1, I could say, "April Fools Day!"

But its not April 1, and NO! This Colorado did NOT tow that Montana 375FL (41 foot long) fifth wheel either.

Got-cha!

OK, short story.

We are camping this week at a state park not very far from home. My wife had to work late on Friday, so I went ahead and brought the camper over and set up. I DO tow the camper with 3500 one-ton diesel dually!

After I got set up, I went back home and we swapped trucks. And came back with the Colorado. We'll be here at this campground all week and decided we'd rather use the smaller truck for running around (which we plan on doing), instead of burning diesel fuel. On Saturday, we'll go home and swap vehicles again!

Meanwhile, I thought I share the illusion with you all, because, already at the campground, several other campers showed up for the week-end after we got set up, and when folks are walking by our campsite now, their heads are spinning, shaking, and people have this really confused look on their faces eye balling our "rig" trying to figure this picture out, and no doubt .... How in the word did they tow THAT trailer with THAT truck!

It's a great Saturday Morning!
 
__________________
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
2019 Montana High Country 375FL
2014 Chevy Silverado Duramax, 6.6L Dually
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper
 
Hornet28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: muskegon
Posts: 91
M.O.C. #25138
I can hear the head shaking from here. LOL
__________________
07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, Idaho Rob EFI, DeeZee boards, 50 gal TransferFlow inbed tank

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team
 
DQDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilsey
Posts: 18,591
M.O.C. #11455
At two places we've stayed the truck was too big to share the drive with our Prius so we kept the truck in storage. Every now and then people would ask how we towed the camper with a Prius and I would explain that we had a roof rack hitch for it and it made it very easy to park. You just spin the Prius around and push the rig into the spot.
__________________
Dick, Joyce, Diego, Picatso and Gustav
2017 3720 RL, and 2013 HC 343RL
Pullrite Hitch, IS, Disk Brakes, 3rd AC, Winegard Traveler, Bathroom door mod, Dometic 320, couch for desk swap, replaced chairs, sun screens, added awnings, etc.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #4
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper
 
Hornet28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: muskegon
Posts: 91
M.O.C. #25138
You must have watched this

__________________
07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, Idaho Rob EFI, DeeZee boards, 50 gal TransferFlow inbed tank

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 6,632
M.O.C. #2283
If you pay air bags and better tires, sure.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
bcrvman
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Qualicum Beach
Posts: 541
M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
2018 Chevy Colorado, short bed, crew cab.

I've seen Chevy Colorado's towing some smaller travel trailers, they do come with a 7 pin plug for the trailer, and they do have receiver hitch. What more do you want?

Well, how about a Montana Fifth Wheel?










Well, if only this was April 1, I could say, "April Fools Day!"

But its not April 1, and NO! This Colorado did NOT tow that Montana 375FL (41 foot long) fifth wheel either.

Got-cha!

OK, short story.

We are camping this week at a state park not very far from home. My wife had to work late on Friday, so I went ahead and brought the camper over and set up. I DO tow the camper with 3500 one-ton diesel dually!

After I got set up, I went back home and we swapped trucks. And came back with the Colorado. We'll be here at this campground all week and decided we'd rather use the smaller truck for running around (which we plan on doing), instead of burning diesel fuel. On Saturday, we'll go home and swap vehicles again!

Meanwhile, I thought I share the illusion with you all, because, already at the campground, several other campers showed up for the week-end after we got set up, and when folks are walking by our campsite now, their heads are spinning, shaking, and people have this really confused look on their faces eye balling our "rig" trying to figure this picture out, and no doubt .... How in the word did they tow THAT trailer with THAT truck!

It's a great Saturday Morning!
Whew, I was worried. The sad part is many think this will work.
__________________
2018 Keystone Montana 3811MS
2017 Ford F450 diesel dually
600AH Battle Born Lithium Batteries, 1,080 watts solar
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #7
Badd857
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Horseshoe Bend
Posts: 17
M.O.C. #27505
??

There is a guy on Social media showing off videos of him towing his Airstream with his Model X Tesla 😳.
Badd857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
jeririgged223
Seasoned Camper
 
jeririgged223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Liberty Hill
Posts: 96
M.O.C. #26548
It isn't a question of can you tow it, it's a question of should you. Seen the ads where any truck can pull a 747? Corvette shows it has a tow rating of 9000 lbs but who would be crazy enough to do so.

With a 5th wheel most trucks have the ability to tow them, but it's cargo weight rating that gets bottomed out real fast and is probably the biggest mistake folks make. They pay more attention to the tow capacity and not enough attention to the gross cargo weight rating which includes the pin weight, people in the tow vehicle, the dogs, the cats, the kids, a full tank of gas and all that stuff you threw in the truck bed around the 5th wheel hitch.

I camped next to a park host that had a small truck and I laughed because invariably visitors would ask if he hauled his rig with his Nissan Frontier. He would proudly tell them that his "rice burner" could haul anything and that he had pulled his up to the highest peaks of the Canadian Rockies. Truth was he had his rig moved there by a pro hauler and he'd been there for years.
__________________
2018 Montana 3120RL Legacy
2022 Ford F350 SWD Diesel
________________________
Jeri, Dixie & Honey
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #9
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan
 
StageCoachDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Reno
Posts: 276
M.O.C. #22620
Don't think a Chevy Colorado can tow a Montana (any Montana) safely. Besides that, isn't the Colorado a V-6? Not sure a Detroit production V-6 can pull a 12,000 lb plus load up a hill very easily.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 6,632
M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
Don't think a Chevy Colorado can tow a Montana (any Montana) safely. Besides that, isn't the Colorado a V-6? Not sure a Detroit production V-6 can pull a 12,000 lb plus load up a hill very easily.

Some do have enough power, 450 HP and 510 torque. That is more power than diesel trucks had just a few years ago. There just isnít enough truck.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #11
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Artesia
Posts: 56
M.O.C. #27061
Colorado towing

With all the talk about towing with a small truck just remember the OP was a joke!
__________________
Roy, Georgia, Bear & Star desert rats USN vet
:dance
2015 375FLF MOUNTAINEER
2012 F350 SWD CREW
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:23 AM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 175
M.O.C. #30417
Honey! I got this!

__________________
2022 Montana High Country 295RL
2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #13
Mikendebbie
Montana Master
 
Mikendebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,429
M.O.C. #21044
I seem to remember a photo from the 50’s of a guy at the Airstream factory puling an Airstream SHELL behind a bicycle. I dont think its a finished camper. Should i try this with the Monte?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	845D55A2-23D5-497A-B10D-B4733371FC58.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	11641  
__________________
MikenDebbie Aggie Ď77 in the sticks near Austin TX
2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #14
dfb
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Gardnerville
Posts: 1,160
M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Some do have enough power, 450 HP and 510 torque. That is more power than diesel trucks had just a few years ago. There just isn’t enough truck.
Lynwood
The power is made way on top of the rpm scale however.. I guess he Revs it up to 5000 rpms and then does a "neutral drop".. My guess it NOT enough tongue weight.. also if this happens hit the brake controller brakes to get the rv under control.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 6,632
M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
The power is made way on top of the rpm scale however.. I guess he Revs it up to 5000 rpms and then does a "neutral drop".. My guess it NOT enough tongue weight.. also if this happens hit the brake controller brakes to get the rv under control.

I have 90% of max torque in my little 2.7 at 2000 RPM. The 3.5 is somewhat higher but 90% comes before 3000 RPM.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:24 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master
 
twindman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mesa az
Posts: 2,364
M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I have 90% of max torque in my little 2.7 at 2000 RPM. The 3.5 is somewhat higher but 90% comes before 3000 RPM.
Lynwood
Gee, Lynwood. I didn't know you towed your rig up to Union Pass with that vehicle!
__________________

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #17
dfb
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Gardnerville
Posts: 1,160
M.O.C. #17163
What's the pass out of Golden Colorado on 70 to Utah? I think it was over 13000 feet?!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Salem
Posts: 6,632
M.O.C. #2283
I see the smiley face. I would probably get about as far as someone would pulling a 30,000 pound fiver up Union Pass with a diesel or the guy pulling his Airstream.
Lynwood
__________________
www.harrellsprec.com
Lynwood Harrell
323 RL HC 2008 F250
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #19
rames14
Montana Master
 
rames14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Livermore
Posts: 4,595
M.O.C. #1920
DFB, Vail Pass I believe is the highest pass along I70.
__________________
Ron and Terrie Ames with Sirius - MOC #1920
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.