Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
tacotacotaco

M.O.C. #30835
New 3761FL owner

Hey y'all,

New 3761FL owner here in central Texas. Will take delivery next week and eventually plan to full time once my condo is sold. Will definitely have some questions for you all. Would appreciate any tips or tricks, things that may not have been obvious to you that would have been helpful to know about your 3761FL when you were starting out.

tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! May your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Welcome aboard and congrats, Make sure you do a thorough check out of your new Unit before you leave your dealer.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:05 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the Montana Forums. Glad you made it over here too.

Newbie mistakes or tips? Keep it simple. If it says "RV" on the package, you'll be able to find the same item somewhere different for a lot less money.

If you travel and are not a seasonal camper at one spot, you never know what the logistics are at your campsite until you actually get there. With that in mind, bring along extra sewer hoses, extra garden hoses, and extra power cords. Also, invest in the step up and step down adapters, or dog bones, from 30 to 50 amp and 50 to 30 amp. (That is, if you travel, because you just never know what the logistics of the campsite will be.)

And one more... bring along enough material (lumber or Lego Blocks or something else), so you can level the trailer under the wheels. Bring along enough material you can drive the trailer wheels up at least 6 inches high. (Because you just never know how unlevel a campsite will be until you actually get there).

Good luck, enjoy your new Montana. And ... happy camping!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Welcome aboard and congratulations from the Northeast corner of our state! Our PDI last December was 3 1/2 long. We took video during the PDI to reference back to afterwards and was glad we did so. Happy camping.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:31 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Welcome to the forum and the Montana family. Hope you have many years of great memories from your new unit.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:17 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the Montana family.

I don't know your history with trailers but the best piece of advice I can give is to camp in it locally for a couple weeks. Full hook up and boon dock. Test EVERYTHING and expect things to need repair! And most of all don't freak out when something fails. If you chose a good dealership they will take care of you.

Happy camping!
Old 04-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
And oh! Don't forget to bring leveling blocks for the campground provided picnic table. If you camp in mountain or hill country, even State Parks in the Mid-West, chances are your picnic table will be unlevel. Bring along something you can put under the feet of the picnic table so you can level it too. Nothing is worse than having your morning eggs roll off the griddle or all rolling to one side of the frying pan! And oh, while on this subject, you might consider picking up an outside electric griddle or even maybe a Coleman Camp Stove, a few hot dog sticks for over a camp fire, and some of those BBQ baskets used for putting bulkier food in to use over a fire. And if you love potatoes ... don't forget the potato peeler, and always have a wine bottle cork screw with you!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
tacotacotaco

M.O.C. #30835
Thank you all!

I have an inspection next Tuesday before my PDI. Hoping to catch any big issues and have them fixed before I drive off lot. I'll be holding on to my condo for a couple months while I finish some repairs prior to listing it, so have a backup. The trickiest thing has been finding an RV park with availability near Austin. I may be camping and moving every 2 weeks for a little while.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I did buy some leveling blocks although probably not a enough to give me 6 inches under 1 wheel on both axles. Thought I might be safe with the autoleveler though it sounds like I might need to get a few more.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #10
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
We have 3 sets of the leveling blocks but haven’t needed them yet. Camp the first few times near a Walmart ( or the equivalent of) so you can make quick trips. Cause now matter how long and hard you think about it, and how good a list you make the thing that you really needed will somehow be forgotten. Or at least that’s what happens to me.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #11
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Welcome, have to get together for some camping. I'm in Liberty Hill
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #12
Feyera
Established Member

M.O.C. #29249
If you can camp on the dealers lot foe a couple days. It has saved me a couple of trips back to the dealer.
Feyera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #13
Drewman
Established Member

M.O.C. #28107
Welcome to Montana, you are going to love this floorplan. That is what I have, a 2020 model I purchased last year after selling my house and moving in full-time also. I’m in North Texas just east of Dallas. The 5’er has been great, love it, but I do agree with the previously given advice to check everything at the dealer before you take possession. I don’t know if you plan to travel with yours like I do with mine, but if you do I suggest checking out a fleet fuel card through TDS logistics out of Texarkana. You get fuel discounts at Loves and several other truckstops and you definitely will want to pull through the truck fueling lanes from now on. Can’t wait to pull mine to your city in October for the Formula One race. Enjoy!
Old 04-28-2022, 12:30 PM   #14
JLfromSTL

M.O.C. #27488
Welcome... we have traveled the past 3 years in our 3761 and love it. Have made several mods (removed one couch and made office) and simple utilitarian add-ons (flag holders). If I can be of assistance with info, happy to share.
JLfromSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:19 PM   #15
Speck56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25158
3761fl

[QUOTE=tacotacotaco;1249085]Hey
Bought our 2020 3761FL new in 2019. Starting in Arizona, we've been to SD, Yellowstone and Montana twice. This year we went to the Keys and now in Nashville in the middle a 8000 mile trip. Great luck so far. Heater wouldn't ignite once, took the cover off and there is a reset button. That worked. Get Lippert tire sensors. Like others have said, extra sewer hoses, hoses, power cords, dogbones to downsize from 50/30 amps. We have leveling blocks but have never needed them. Some type of generator I would strongly recommend. One more thing, make sure they show you wear to turn water on for ice maker.
Speck56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:09 PM   #16
tacotacotaco

M.O.C. #30835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman View Post
Welcome to Montana, you are going to love this floorplan. That is what I have, a 2020 model I purchased last year after selling my house and moving in full-time also. I’m in North Texas just east of Dallas. The 5’er has been great, love it, but I do agree with the previously given advice to check everything at the dealer before you take possession. I don’t know if you plan to travel with yours like I do with mine, but if you do I suggest checking out a fleet fuel card through TDS logistics out of Texarkana. You get fuel discounts at Loves and several other truckstops and you definitely will want to pull through the truck fueling lanes from now on. Can’t wait to pull mine to your city in October for the Formula One race. Enjoy!
Thanks for the tip on the fleet fuel card. Definitely feeling the burn on this diesel engine.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #17
tacotacotaco

M.O.C. #30835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLfromSTL View Post
Welcome... we have traveled the past 3 years in our 3761 and love it. Have made several mods (removed one couch and made office) and simple utilitarian add-ons (flag holders). If I can be of assistance with info, happy to share.
I would love to know what you did. I am in the middle of trying to figure this out now. My first instinct was to buy some butcher block and attach some legs to it. But the only butcher block I can find anywhere is 1.5" thick and pretty heavy for an RV, wondering if there's another option that doesn't look super cheap and also not super heavy.

Was thinking of taking out one of the couches in the FL area for it.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:13 PM   #18
tacotacotaco

M.O.C. #30835
[QUOTE=Speck56;1249590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacotaco View Post
Hey
Bought our 2020 3761FL new in 2019. Starting in Arizona, we've been to SD, Yellowstone and Montana twice. This year we went to the Keys and now in Nashville in the middle a 8000 mile trip. Great luck so far. Heater wouldn't ignite once, took the cover off and there is a reset button. That worked. Get Lippert tire sensors. Like others have said, extra sewer hoses, hoses, power cords, dogbones to downsize from 50/30 amps. We have leveling blocks but have never needed them. Some type of generator I would strongly recommend. One more thing, make sure they show you wear to turn water on for ice maker.
I think mine has tire sensors preinstalled. I need to check with the dealer when I pick it up on Monday the procedure to sync it with my Chevy.