Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Broke down in Barstow

I knew when we started full time that sooner or later something like this would happen. It was always in the back of my mind, but things went so well for so long, I kind of ignored the thoughts. But, fate finally caught up with us. We are broke down in the armpit of California, Barstow. The transmission in our pickup bit the bullet. The warning light on the overdrive started blinking after we left Las Vegas. Then, there is a 10 mile 6% pull right after the Nevada-California state line. It started slipping and over-heated on that pull. We limped on into Barstow, dropped the trailer in an Eagles parking lot and took the pickup to the Ford dealership. So, here we sit--in the middle of the California desert. The only good part is it is not August. We have no hookups at all and 1/2 a tank of water. The solar setup will provide us with electricity and we will conserve water and carry 5 gallon buckets to use, if needed. And, we will survive.

It is going to cost us all that we saved by volunteering this summer, plus more, to get it fixed. So, I have offered to volunteer at the national park we were going to stay in outside of Washington DC. It will be a five month commitment, but I really wanted to see DC. I will not know if it will come through until after the government opens back up. If that fails, I will volunteer somewhere else. Or, I will try for a paying job. Those are harder to get than the volunteer positions, but they are out there. I know we could go back to Steamboat Lake next summer, so that is the final fall-back position.

Our plans are basically the same. We will have to see San Diego on the cheap, travel slower and stay in one spot longer. We could stay all winter in Quartzite AZ on BLM land for cheap, I think. But, there is the problem of water and sewage. I do not know what the trucks get that haul water and dump the black water tank get, so I will check on that. There are always options. It will take time to sort them out and choose the best one. Enough of the sob story.

In 1969, I was stationed at Ft. Irwin, 29 miles from Barstow. After I got here, I went on what was called "Project Transition." It was a program where the federal government paid the salary of Viet Nam vets to get training in a different field other than killing babies. Since I was already a mechanic, I went to work at Carey's Truck Stop, which is no longer here. I was discharged and Carey gave me a full time job at a pretty good salary since he had used me for free for 5 months. The truck stop also served as a breaking point for Yellow Freight Company and had the contract to maintain and service their trucks. At one time, the contract was being renewed and Carey was concerned about keeping it. There was a lot of pressure to keep the trucks running. I was sent on a road call for a truck that had caught on fire about 40 miles out of town. I went and found the truck had been loaded with tires and had burnt completely up. The aluminum parts of the cab and motor had melted and formed puddle under neath. All that was left of the trailer was the frame fails, rims, the wire from the radial tires and a puddle of aluminum. Only the motor block, transmission gears, frame rails, and rear ends remained of the truck. When I got back, the shop foreman came hurrying up to me and said, "Where's the truck?" I said, "I could not fix it." He got upset before I could explain the situation and was questioning me in rude and upset manner. He said "Why couldn't you fix it.?" I told him "I just did not have enough parts."

Back then, the interstate had not bypassed downtown. Now, the Main Street that carried all the traffic in 1969 is called Historic Route 66. We have not had a chance to see the whole town yet, but what we have seen looks like a prime example of urban blight--empty houses, homeless, and closed business. Add to that, dust, heat, and wind and you have Barstow. I never did like the town and I do not think this experience will change that.

I will have more to say about the town after we see more of it. We will be here until Tuesday, possibly longer. We are checking bus routes and schedules so we can get around.

Like I said, we will survive and we will continue on our journey. I knew that sooner or later, some big ticket item was going to come up. I just wish it had happened in a prettier place.

We have been stuck here for 2 days now. It only seems like two months. Time does drag when you are broke down in Barstow. That is one of the reasons I am writing this. Trying to fill in some time. Darlene and I have already had a fight, but it did not take too long. I am thinking about starting another one. Just to help pass the time.

I was going to go to the train yard and watch them set up the trains. It is a busy yard with trains comig and going constantly. But, that would just make me sad. Trains leaving town and I can't. The sadder part would be the trains coming into town. I know that box cars don't have feelings, but I would still feel sorry for them.

I went to the karaoke session at the Eagles last night. First time I have ever been to a karaoke session. It looked to me like that was the high point of the week for some of the people that were there. Some were dressed far nicer than I would expect for something like that. That is really, really sad. You definitely have too much time on your hands when the high point of your week is a karaoke session at the Eagles in Barstow CA. Well, I can't say too much about it because it was the high point of my week, also. And, I now know that the only thing worse than a bunch of young people getting drunk and making fools of themselves is a bunch of old people doing it. Sad situation. But, I guess recreational activities are limited in Barstow. The singing ranged from poor to god-awful. But, the worst part was when some of them got up and started dancing. Old people should not even try to dance like young people. It looks foolish and angers the gods of dance. It is also the main reason old people have to use walkers.

Now, I know you are think I am making this up, but it is true. The guy running the karaoke announces the the name of the next singer and shows it on the TV. There was a native American man there with the first name of Sixtoe. I just wish I could have seen him barefooted. You know--just for truth in labeling reasons.

My only other activity since we broke down has been dog walking. And, even the dog does not like Barstow. He used to come to the door and beg to go out with me. Now, he goes and hides under the table.

No one in this part of town has a lawn. Rock and cactus gardens are what I have seen in some of the yards. And, the rocks seem to be doing better than the cactus.

I watched a hitch-hiker for a while yesterday. I know he wanted to get out of Barstow. He was at a four way intersection and trying to catch a ride in any direction.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I feel for you, if I live closer I'd come and help you past the time.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
There is a bright side, you could be in Gila Bend, Ariz or Lordsburg, ,ew Mexico, no offense to any residents of those two great communities, I'm sure you have been offended enough.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have been there, spent some time playing in the big cat box, visited Barstow. I guess if you get to bored you can do what we did, go to the car was and put aa couple coins in and watch the wand jump around
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Oh man that Bites!!! in Barstow no less, we want plan a trip cross country but we will wait till we get some big cash reserves because that's what I'm afraid of is a major breakdown I have a Diesel pickup and EVERYTHING costs more to fix
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

I have been there, spent some time playing in the big cat box, visited Barstow. I guess if you get to bored you can do what we did, go to the car was and put aa couple coins in and watch the wand jump around
Now that's "clean" entertainment!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope things go better from here on out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for the "Barstow Narrative".
It was entertaining and informative.
Hope you get "sprung" soon. Best of luck!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear about your transmission problems and I was broke down in Barstow also and know what your talking about.

Your fresh water problems can be solved with one of these set ups.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=Water,Bladder
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles! Wish you were closer to MO, as we have a lot of room here! Will send prayers for your quick recovery. Keep us posted on how you come out!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We usually stay in Barstow on our way to Mesa. There is a nice KOA there and an old Mining town just north of town. Also a great 50's style hamburger eatery within walking distance that we always eat at.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Remember the Julia Roberts movie where she exposes some hazardous nonsense going on with the water or land or something like that? That was just northwest of Barstow. I'd rather live in Gila Bend or Lordsburg any day and keep my body parts from falling off due to the environment. I'll admit I do like the Calico mining areas north of Barsow.

Good luck on your repairs. May this be the worse that occurs to you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
OH HAPPY DAY

We are back on the road!!!! Got the truck at closing time and 30 minutes later we were on the road. We made it to a VFW in Bakersfield and we shut down for the night and will go into San Luis Obispo tomorrow. It looks like the Moose lodge we stayed at last year has gone out of business, so we will stay at the Eagles aerie. We might stay there a week or more. It is nice country and I want to spend some time at San Simeon Beach photographing elephant seals. This time of year, it will be the sub-adult and a few females. The big males come ashore in November.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Glad to see you back on the road and done with that episode. I'm with you, it's going to happen sometime, you just hope it happens at the right time. That is if there truly is a right time.

Have a good one!
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
You should consider a gig doing standup comedy, that was funny. I hope things get better for you and I want to thank all of you for giving me places to cross off my list of places to visit.LOL
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Good deal. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to be where you want to be. Enjoy your stay!
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
With an attitude like yours you can't go wrong. Have fun and enjoy your trip which I'm sure you will. I should share this with Louise as we are planning some long trips next year and I'm afraid my old Dodge might not make it. Good reason for a new/newer truck.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote