Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
Swenda01

M.O.C. #25714
Land Purchase

I found a piece of land that we plan on parking our 5er here in Minnesota. There used to be a house on the property but that burned down 5 years ago and has since been demolished and cleared. The land has a well/septic as well as electric.

It still has to pass inspection but I’m assuming all I would need to do is have a 50A outlet installed on a “post” as well as a yard hydrant for the well water?

Swenda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Before you buy check out everything you can and can't do on that property. In other words don't assume go to the township/city hall and make sure you'll be ok. As an example there's a 5 acre piece of property right next to other houses by me for sale that doesn't have enough property width to build on but the asking price of almost 40K would lead one to believe they could. It's not the realtors job to warn you his jobs to sell it.

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You will also be surprised at the number of counties and cities in the US that have ordinances prohibiting living in an RV. Our owned property is where it is because 10 miles down the road we couldn't live in the RV.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Sounds like a great idea. Hope it works out OK for you. Considering the property is already developed, half of your headaches are already out of the way.

You said the house burned down, but there is electric there. Is the electric turned on? When the house burned down, did the owners re-install the power to a new power box on a temporary pole, or is the power line just there and cut off, going nowhere now.

The reason I ask, is because most power companies require the electric line be fed into a building and the main breaker box is inside. Construction companies will put up a temporary pole, or a temporary board to attach a temporary breaker box to power their tools. When the house is built, the power line is re-routed inside the new house and the board or pole is taken down. Power companies will allow a temporary or pole for construction purposes, but they are just that, temporary permits.

The house I live in had a temporary board, and somehow, over time, it became permanent. The house has been here for over 45 years and somehow that board got grandfathered into the property. But new construction??? they have to switch the power line.

Anyway, just asking. Check everything out very well before committing to the purchase. You may have to build a small permanent shed or small garage to meet the requirements for the electric codes and such in your area.

Here's what mine looks like. This photo was taken before I switched that 30 amp RV box and to a 50-30-20 RV breaker box on the end a year and a half ago. The main electric line comes in through the round meter and then splits in that white painted box. One half of the split goes to the garage, the other half of the split goes to the house, and now a third line goes to the the new box for the 50 amp. Inside the house and the garage is a sub panel with all the individual breakers in it. The garage is wired for 50 amp -220 volt. The previous owner used the garage for welding.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I don't know about Minnesota but in Arkansas if the sewer system is still in place it is grandfathered in and you can have water and electric hooked up without any further issues. If you don't have the sewer then you have to go thru the permitting process for it first and pass before they will allow water or electric to be installed (there are a few exceptions where you might have a shop or camp with no sewage).

I would definitely check with the local permitting board before buying anything. You can always put down earnest money and make it contingent upon permitting.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote