Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
NewenglandOwner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26997
Cubic Mini Stoves

Girlfriend brought up the idea of installing a mini wood stove into out 06' Montana. Has anyone else installed a wood stove into their campers?

NewenglandOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
It can be done BUT I worry about doing it in a highly flammable and rather confined space. These RVs burn to the ground really quick.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If I were Boondocking a lot where there was plenty of free fire wood maybe. I looked at them and the problem I saw was they are too little to get a decent peace of wood in it. Without larger wood in it it the fire wont last long. Count on filling it up every few hours. I heated our home for 25 years with wood so this isn’t my first rodeo.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
NewenglandOwner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26997
The reason we are looking Into it is because we’ll be camping in the white mountains for the winter months. And we’re hoping to save on propane. I’m an arborist by trade so wood will be cheap hopefully this will save on electricity. Though we plan on running an electric heater in the sub compartment with the water lines in case our furnace doesn’t run as much. Between the hot water heater and furnace we were thinking it would cut down propane use and be an effective heating source for the whole rig. So overnights and times we’ll be skiing or working will be challenging
Old 08-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
NewenglandOwner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26997
I fear that as well. Location will be important. I feel the risk come with improper installation. And regular and safe use will have to be a main priority
Old 09-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I think it's a great idea. I grew up on a farm in Northern Idaho and we heated with nothing but wood and I loved it. Just something about the even consistent heat they put out. Here is a great video on the subject:

https://youtu.be/wTuRIMWRGVU?t=404
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, I personally would not install a wood burner in an RV of any type, but apparently others have. So, I jumped on good old "YouTube" and a simple search returned a bunch of videos and how-to's. Click here. I suggest, before you purchase anything, and definitely before your begin the installation, that you watch through some of these videos first to get ideas on how it's done as well as safety factors you should consider.

In my last camper, just when using the propane stove top, the wall surround the stove would become horribly, incredibly hot if using more than just the front burner. The walls would get so hot, I thought they would burst into flames. In that camper, we never used 2 burners at the same time. We only used the front and was to keep the walls from getting so hot.

A wood burner will do the same thing. Having been around many in my lifetime, I know how much heat they can throw out (of course, depending upon how big they are too). But you'll need to make sure you have adequate air space on all side, wherever you place it and the surrounding structure will not over heat.

I have seen only 1 wood burner in an RV in actual experience, and that was a converted school bus made into a camper.

And for an FYI, we have a fireplace in our house and we use it as our primary heat source in the winter, so I think I know "something" about fireplaces and wood burning stoves and inserts.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
As long as it's installed correctly it'll be as safe as any other heating device in an RV. I'd definitely choose a wood stove over a Buddy Heater.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
NewenglandOwner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26997
Thank you! Much appreciated
Old 09-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Well, I personally would not install a wood burner in an RV of any type, but apparently others have. So, I jumped on good old "YouTube" and a simple search returned a bunch of videos and how-to's. Click here. I suggest, before you purchase anything, and definitely before your begin the installation, that you watch through some of these videos first to get ideas on how it's done as well as safety factors you should consider.

In my last camper, just when using the propane stove top, the wall surround the stove would become horribly, incredibly hot if using more than just the front burner. The walls would get so hot, I thought they would burst into flames. In that camper, we never used 2 burners at the same time. We only used the front and was to keep the walls from getting so hot.

A wood burner will do the same thing. Having been around many in my lifetime, I know how much heat they can throw out (of course, depending upon how big they are too). But you'll need to make sure you have adequate air space on all side, wherever you place it and the surrounding structure will not over heat.

I have seen only 1 wood burner in an RV in actual experience, and that was a converted school bus made into a camper.

And for an FYI, we have a fireplace in our house and we use it as our primary heat source in the winter, so I think I know "something" about fireplaces and wood burning stoves and inserts.
This is likely the same stove installed in small boats. They are typically installed in a corner with a 3 sided heat guard surrounding it so all heat goes up. The challenge is the roof or sidewall penetration. I installed a new fireplace in my old house and know what is required. It would be a bit of a challenge to build out the structure needed for a safe chimney pass thru in an RV or boat. It can be done but it will look bulky.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
chandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19813
Thumbs down wood burning stove

Get a really BIG fire extinguisher and make sure your insurance is not invalidated by this addition.
chandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We stayed at Roosevelt lodge cabins in Yellowstone in June a few years ago. They have these little mini pot belly heaters. Every hour I would have to get out of bed and add a stick to the fire to keep it going and try to heat the cabin. Got no sleep that night. It was 32°F in the morning inside the cabin.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve got up in the morning with a dish pan full of water frozen solid. You have lots of blankets on your bed and when you get up you get the burners on the stove going full blast and then get back in bed for a half hour.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote